News Flash: Sitting on Your Ass All Day Isn't Healthy

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
News Flash: Sitting on Your Ass All Day Isn't Healthy

Several studies prove that sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen, then going home to play games or watch TV is statistically unhealthy.

We've heard it so many times that we probably have a knee-jerk reaction at this point. "It's not healthy playing that game all day. You should take a break and go outside." I've heard that many times from my mother/spouse over the course my lifespan. As I entered the professional office world for the first time in my mid-twenties, I realized that I really did spend most of my day sitting at a computer, seeing as I filled most of nights and weekends playing Wow. I would mix it up by going to the gym during lunch but apparently that isn't enough to counterbalance the effect of sitting stationary for large amounts of time. The New York Times reported on a series of studies that showed anyone who spends significant amounts of time sitting is at a much greater risk for health problems like heart attacks.

A study of 4,512 Scottish men published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that those who spent 2 or more hours a day in front of a screen were twice as likely to suffer a heart attack than those who didn't. And those that spent 4 or more hours were 50 percent more likely to die of any cause. The study showed that it didn't matter if the men said they exercised several times a week; the statistics were unaffected.

Other studies found that men who spend more than 23 hours per week sitting were more likely to die of heart disease and that children who watch TV for more than 1.5 hours a day have higher blood pressure than those who don't.

The paper in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology offers a possible scientific reason for the increased risk. Sitting slows down the body's ability to break down lipids (fats) and those fats and triglycerides stay in the bloodstream. If I learned one thing in biology class, it's that triglycerides are bad. (Or was that chlorophyll?)

This news doesn't bode well for those of us who might feel physically active but still spend most of their time gaming in front of their PC or TV. I like to think that I have a decently active lifestyle as I've been pretty good about working out once or twice a week. But when I count up the hours I spend at a computer per day (probably conservatively 8 hours,) I see that I'm firmly in the Sedentary Zone.

Maybe I should have tried to type this article standing up.

Source: NY Times [http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/the-hazards-of-the-couch/]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/maarjaara/206996235/sizes/m/in/photostream/])

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It seems a bit odd really, and it's not a very good thing for them to say.

"If you sit down playing games all day then you will have negative affects regardless of whether you exercise/work out or not".

It's more likely to make people give up their gym memberships than their gaming habits.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
People can spend less than 2 hours in front of a computer a day?

Christ on a bike.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Well, that's unsettling. I spend at least 8 hours a day on the computer doing a mixture of gaming and working.

Though, it's worth remembering that while saying "twice as likely" sounds like a lot, if it's 2x 0.02%, then it's hardly worth worrying about.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
well, honestly, I find it kinda hard to sit on something other than your ass, ain't it

also, uh, it's unhealthy?

jesus christ, I've been living a lie all this time!

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
And they wasted money on this? Why don't you guys be looking for a cure for cancer or something else? Oh wait, they probably already found that but then realized they would lose funding since their job was done, so they waste money with this shit. What's next? Study proves that eating McDonalds 4 times a week will make you fat?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Well then, I guess the government doesn't need to try and kill me. I've been doing it myself slowly since I started school.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Even with exercise?!

Shit. I need to quit videogames altogether.

Or at least RPGs. Them games be long.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
The government lied to me! Their trying to make us all fat so we cannot resist their power!

edit: Hey, they chose Scottish men, 90% of the country is unhealthy:p

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If this is actual news anywhere anymore then the people getting it must be living under a rock in a cave in an asteroid waaay out in the bloody Kupiter Belt.

On a side note I care very little for my personal well bieng, as long as I can still do what I need to do. Namely walking bieng the most exerting thing.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
unacomn said:
Well then, I guess the government doesn't need to try and kill me. I've been doing it myself slowly since I started school.
Hah, I didn't even think of that.

Come to think of it, does anyone spend less than two hours sitting down per day?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
WrongSprite said:

Christ on a bike.
Also this.
The good thing is: if you got a desk job, whatever else you don't do, won't matter anymore apparently.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Well as I work 5 days a week 10 hours a day sitting at my desk I guess I am screwed!

Not to mention I might as well stop getting my 3 hours of gym over the week as it does nothing to stop me dieing!!!!

On the brightside, I will bring this up at my next performance review as a reason for pay raise.

Capcom4ever

Jun 24, 2010
Derp. But seriously. I consider myself active (strenuous exercise for 2+ hours 6 days a week) but I spend much of the remaining time staring at a screen to do other stuff. Also, I spend about 6 hours a day sitting during my high school classes and I can't get up during those either. So am I screwed anyway?

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
Kind of a common sense thing. I know any time that I have to do a lot of driving or sit at a desk all day long my neck gets stiff and my tailbone gets sore. I find that even if I get up for five minutes and walk around and stretch a little each hour or so that most of the pain goes away.

I don't notice it so much when I game because I tend to change positions a lot when I play(sit, crossleg, put my legs up on the table, etc). That and I'm engrossed in something I enjoy as opposed to filling out T.P.S. reports.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
HUnh.... another poll that shows you what you should already know.

OT: Um... thank you? Like i said, I already knew this. And I'm pretty sure that people that do this already know it to. So unless you're going to forcibly change their habits, its just not happening and no one is really caring. iF they're happy, let them go.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
veloper said:
WrongSprite said:

Christ on a bike.
Also this.
The good thing is: if you got a desk job, whatever else you don't do, won't matter anymore apparently.
Damnit.

I work a desk job. 8 hours in front of a computer.

Guess I better buy one of these:

------------
Lol. My captcha was Toyota Care and I drive one and had a flat tire today. IRONY!