Dragon Age II "Making Of" Video Promises More Storytelling

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Dragon Age II "Making Of" Video Promises More Storytelling

[video=2643]

The developers at BioWare discuss the finer points of crafting a story and building characters for Dragon Age II.

If the above video makes one thing clear, it's that Dragon Age II will be all about the storytelling.

That's not to say that the gameplay will be neglected, but the crafting of the plot and the way the plot is revealed seem to be getting extra attention this time around. The main story will be nested within a larger one relayed to an outsider by an in game narrator, similar to the way Diablo II or The Usual Suspects was set up. This is called a frame narrative, and the developers seem very proud that theirs may be the first truly interactive use of the technique.

There is also a strong focus on the characters that act out the story. Instead of creating a very wide world to be explored over a short amount of time, Dragon Age II will be set in a smaller, more well constructed space that we will experience over the span of 10 years. This allows relationships with other characters to develop over a longer, more natural period of time. In addition to giving the main character, Hawke, a chance to experience the far-reaching consequences of his actions, he has also been given a family, giving him a grounding in the world.

Of course, the game isn't exactly a huge jump for BioWare. The game will use the company's tried and true conversation system, with options to be a saint or a jerk, which will change your character's personality.

But really, a game with moral choices, a focus on story and writing, and sex with the other party members? Yep. Sounds like a BioWare game.

Apr 28, 2008
Do I have to choose between saint and jerk?
Can't I just be "decent fellow"?

And I wonder if this will finally be the Bioware game where you actually have to face the consequences for your choices.

Time will tell I guess. Not to fond of the wheel though. I preferred knowing exactly what my character was going to say. And imagine him saying it in the voice of Patrick Stewart.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sounding more and more awesome every day.. well, except for the fact that I still prefer the old dialogue choice system over the ME style "guess at your exact response" wheel.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
No more elfs! Booo!

Not really though. I'm still going to love the game, I just loved my elf warrior so much more.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
"Virginal elf next door" was not really the phrase I expected to hear today.

I'm not sure I'll be a fan of the "choose your attitude wheel" it sounds pretty... Fable...y.

Can't say I'm not interested though.

SevenForce

Aug 26, 2010
If you're worried about dialogue and moral choices, remember that this is a Bioware game - at some point your character will do something you REALLY do not want them to do.

I don't think i'll ever forget being given the choice in the DA:O mage tower of either letting Wynne join my party, or murdering her and all the others.

As far as DA2's concerned, i lost interest when i found out they were trying to make it into two different games.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Bah, here I thought there was something new, but it's the same video I've already watched twice this week. :p

Well, despite the oversimplified dialogue system, I'm really looking forward to this game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hithlain said:
"Virginal elf next door" was not really the phrase I expected to hear today.

I'm not sure I'll be a fan of the "choose your attitude wheel" it sounds pretty... Fable...y.

Can't say I'm not interested though.
It's the same as the Mass Effect dialogue wheel, not the fart-at-crowds-of-people-because-that's-just-hilarious wheel (thank fuck).

OT: Hawke's kinda skinny, isn't he? I mean the preset version looks like a guy in his late 20s who works in a book store.

Still not sold on the art direction, still interested in the game though.

EDIT: Hope we can change the voice for Hawke too, although now I've watched the entire video I'm much more interested in the game than about 2 minutes ago.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
yay I was hoping I could romance the elf girl ... she does like men right?

oh does anyone know how characters level up in this game it was annoying how the older games auto leveled people you hadnt met yet.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Mixed feelings...Origins is on my Top 5 Best Games Ever list, but Awakening sucked. This looks more like Awakening than Origins to me.

CoffeeOfDoom

Jun 3, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Although with character creation gone (boo)
I haven't heard that before. Unless you mean that you can't choose to be an elf or a dwarf. I don't see why they'd get rid of the character creation system.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Woodsey said:
OT: Hawke's kinda skinny, isn't he? I mean the preset version looks like a guy in his late 20s who works in a book store.
The Hawke they've been showing has been a mage, which has been confirmed to have a leaner build than warriors and rogues. After all, how buff do you expect a magic user to be?

Spot1990 said:
Although with character creation gone (boo)
Character creation is not gone. You might not be able to choose your race, but there is still plenty of customization available; in fact, the hair and skin tone of your siblings will change to match your character (preventing the whole "adoption" look from the last game). The model used thus far has just been the default.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Kimarous said:
Woodsey said:
The Hawke they've been showing has been a mage, which has been confirmed to have a leaner build than warriors and rogues. After all, how buff do you expect a magic user to be?
Hey, if I could use magic I'd make myself as hench as possible !

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Irridium said:
Do I have to choose between saint and jerk?
Can't I just be "decent fellow"?

And I wonder if this will finally be the Bioware game where you actually have to face the consequences for your choices.

Time will tell I guess. Not to fond of the wheel though. I preferred knowing exactly what my character was going to say. And imagine him saying it in the voice of Patrick Stewart.
Fuck that wheel. Fuck it so much.

Seriously.

Patrick Stewart wouldn't work for my female dwarf.

Would it?