Square Enix Trademarks Three More Final Fantasy "Types"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix Trademarks Three More Final Fantasy "Types"

Square Enix might be planning an entire series for a new Final Fantasy spin-off.

At the end of 2010, Square Enix was caught trademarking something called Final Fantasy Type-0 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106514-Square-Enix-Bleeds-Trademark-for-Final-Fantasy-Type-0] along with a painted image of the title in Japanese kanji. Whatever Type-0 is, it could become a series, as Square Enix has now registered the images for Type-1, Type-2, and Type-3.

The Final Fantasy name doesn't appear to be associated with the images this time, but they were registered by Square Enix and are a natural progression from the previous trademark of Final Fantasy Type-0. The images are similar to Type-0's in that they are Japanese kanji with English below.

What's different is that Type-1, Type-2, and Type-3's images aren't hand painted and have a more rigid look instead. They were filed in Europe on January 13, 2011.

We can only guess at what the trademarks of Type-0, Type-1, Type-2, and Type-3 are for, but with the addition of three more they certainly point to a possible new spin-off and its sequels. Final Fantasy is due for some new entries outside of the main series anyway, with Dissidia 012 [http://www.amazon.com/Dissidia-duodecim-Final-Fantasy-Sony-PSP/dp/B002I0GXWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295191841&sr=8-2] the only upcoming spin-off aside from the previously mentioned XIII extensions.

Square Enix is holding an event on January 18 called the 1st Production Department Premiere, though the exact purpose of the event is unknown. It's thought that the company will be talking about Final Fantasy XIII-2 [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1295191940&sr=1-1]. The timing of these "Type" trademarks suggests that Square Enix is also preparing an announcement for whatever they refer to, so we could learn something new at the event.

Source: VG247 [http://playstationinformer.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/final-fantasy-type-0-new-news-and-square-enix-1st-production-department-premiere-streaming/]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I'll just be waiting for them to make an RPG again. It wouldn't surprise me if XIII-2 was a movie advent-children style by now... (I love Advent Children).

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
great, FFXIV's colossal failure finally made them snap and now they're REALLY whoring out the brand name. Too bad they don't have more guys like Matsuno who actually have a brain

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
As someone who rather enjoys playing the Final Fantasy games (...I'm playing Final Fantasy X again, rather than reactivating WoW/buying Cataclysm, continuing Fable III or Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, playing Halo: Reach or even bothering to touch Fallout New Vegas or anything to do with Mass Effect... Yes, I must really hate today's games), I look forward to what they've got planned. Versus XIII already looks pretty darn neat.. Almost a HD high-quality version of Crisis Core, in terms of gameplay, which honestly can't be a bad thing! :D

But that won't matter. By the end of March, I'll be far too busy investing pretty much all of my spare time in Dissidia 012. It looks so damn fun.. Plus there's a full RPG story in there, compared to the chess board with battles and a boss from the first game. Hell, 012 even has the first game's story added on, with the updated RPG style of the new game.

Kalezian said:
I think that they have been in full force whoring out the name when they passed FFV.
Yes, and let's see the Mass Effect & Fallout fanboys say that when they get up to 6, or 8, or 10.

Admit it. Because it's an Japanese RPG franchise, it's immediately terrible compared to the "infinitely better in every way WRPGs". As is the custom with the interbutts these days..

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
I've had pretty much 100% positive reactions to anything with "Final Fantasy" in the title... so if they're gonna continue with this then I have no problem

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Maybe they correspond to DLC or some kind of series of shorter downloadable titles rather than fully fledged games? It could even have something to do with the card game they are releasing, expansion packs or something.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Meanwhile, those who actually want a FF7 sequel, a true Final Fantasy Tactics sequel, more Chrono Trigger, more Vagrant Story, a new edition of Parasite Eve are told to "wait" while it's put on the backburner. Even then they typically give the "old" titles no consideration and release new games via cellphones, shitty apps, random movies, remakes, etc.

Square needs to reconnect with their roots and try to understand why we loved them in the first place. The first games had heart and soul. Now they actually believe people will buy their products regardless of the quality put into them...bad thought process going on there.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
My fanboyism is dying little by little for the Final Fantasy series. Disliked 10, couldn't do 11, loved 12, and 13 was awful.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
*exasperated*

Can someone please tell Square to stop with the Final Fantasies? Sakaguchi has left along with anyone associated with those games! Back in the day, the atmosphere was about what the developers could create, not churning out the same name game over and over...

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Just so long as they don't go making Final Fantasy Type-Moon, I can safely say my world won't be rocked.

makano

Nov 23, 2009
Arsen said:
Meanwhile, those who actually want a FF7 sequel, a true Final Fantasy Tactics sequel, more Chrono Trigger, more Vagrant Story, a new edition of Parasite Eve are told to "wait" while it's put on the backburner. Even then they typically give the "old" titles no consideration and release new games via cellphones, shitty apps, random movies, remakes, etc.

Square needs to reconnect with their roots and try to understand why we loved them in the first place. The first games had heart and soul. Now they actually believe people will buy their products regardless of the quality put into them...bad thought process going on there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3rd_Birthday
shows that someon in square still cares about parasite eve

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
I'm interested. Even though the last couple of games they have made sucked, they still have talent and hopefully they can pull their act together

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Crazyjay said:
I'm interested. Even though the last couple of games they have made sucked, they still have talent and hopefully they can pull their act together
I've been thinking it's been a steady decline downwards in quality as they've been stagnating on ideas central to looking good in the new year...

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and suggest that this is a Spin-off of Final Fantasy 8! XD

(Square would genuinely suprise me if they ever did expand on FF6, 8 or 9. Which ironically are what I consider to be the best Final Fantasy games! XD)

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I like Final Fantasy and all, but I wish they could use some Cyberpunk or Steampunk settings more often, like with VII.

I'm not particularly excited towards this, if only because I'm worried that it'll turn out to be some sort of mediocre Chocobo Dungeon game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
makano said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3rd_Birthday

shows that someon in square still cares about parasite eve
After seeing a synopsis of its godawful plot, I can safely tell you that is not so. They did nothing less than spit in the faces of the fans.