Hacker Preparing Kinect-Controlled Robot Army

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hacker Preparing Kinect-Controlled Robot Army

Kinect can be used to play rafting games, or to force a robot to act out a human vendetta. Your choice.

Reading and transferring human skeletal movement is the bread-and-butter of before [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295192999&sr=8-1], but never has it looked so threatening.

YouTube's Ikaziso is able to control a V-Sido [http://vsido.uijin.com/en/index.html] robot using his own movements through Kinect. The hack evidently translates these movements into V-Sido's software which otherwise controls the robot through a computer by using a mouse .

With Kinect though, Ikaziso demonstrates how easy it could be to convince someone that this robot is alive. A plethora of movements can be performed by the V-Sido, and it can even stand on one foot and carry foreign objects.

With a bigger robot, a camera, and voice box, this hack is the perfect method of doing errands without ever leaving the house. Unlike the Kinect hack that gives people jiggly boobs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106672-Kinect-Hack-Slaps-Worlds-Most-Jiggly-Boobs-on-Anyone], Ikaziso's actually seems like it could be useful. Nobody would ever use something like this for evil, right?

Source: Techabob [http://technabob.com/blog/2011/01/15/kinect-controls-humanoid-robot/]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009

I would like to purchase 500 of these for a world domination personal project. Address them to my Volcano Island Doom Fortress apartment.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd also like to purchase 1000 laser guns. For a totally separate project of course.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Looks awesome, but sadly I could only focus on the screeching sound the robot makes.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Someone posted on ChiefDelphi (the FIRST Robotics Competition forums) asking if anyone had the Kinect drivers so they could drive their robot with it. Perhaps this is a step in the "right" direction for them...

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that new-gen robot-battle tournaments are not so far away now?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:

I would like to purchase 500 of these for a world domination personal project. Address them to my Volcano Island Doom Fortress apartment.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd also like to purchase 1000 laser guns. For a totally separate project of course.

Yeah... Me too.

Evil you say? Noooo...How can you say that? I am a paragon of good and...Screw it!

Bow down before your new world leader! MOHAHAHA!

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Evilsanta said:
SomeLameStuff said:

Yeah... Me too.

Evil you say? Noooo...How can you say that? I am a paragon of good and...Screw it!

Bow down before your new world leader! MOHAHAHA!
I think some issues might arise when a lot of people get the same idea and all meet up with robot armies of slightly differently painted colours on the same volcanic island.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Big Phil said:
Am I the only one who thinks that new-gen robot-battle tournaments are not so far away now?
This...

Also I love the amount of hacks and mods people are createing with the Kinect. It speaks wonders to what people can do with alittle time and knowledge.

I found it funny he used a Mobile Suit from Gundam...

Maybe one day what he did with Kinect Plus this...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
It's interesting how (presumably) bedroom coders for the PC seem to be making stuff for Kinect that's more awesome than professional teams (or Microsoft themselves).