PS3 Hacks Force Infinity Ward to Rethink Game Security

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PS3 Hacks Force Infinity Ward to Rethink Game Security

Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2 are getting hacked to high heaven, and Infinity Ward says there's not a lot it can do about it.

The PS3 security problems aren't just Sony's headache; developers and publishers suffering, too. Call of Duty developer, Infinity Ward, says that it is feeling the effects of the hacks especially keenly, thanks to the popularity of the CoD series, and the experience has shown it that it can't rely just on platform security in the future.

Writing on the Infinity Ward forums [http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=371760&sid=080a30a809cd44ce730a2ea0e2ec495f], creative strategist and former community manager Robert Bowling acknowledged that there was a problem with hacked stats on the PS3. Unfortunately, he said there was very little that Infinity Ward could do, as the problem was not with the game, but with the platform itself. This meant that until Sony fixed the security problem, the hacking would continue. Bowling advised that people play in private matches with people that they knew until Sony re-secured the platform.

Infinity Ward isn't just washing its hands of the problem though. Bowling said that while Infinity Ward wasn't able to manually adjust or restore hacked stats at this time, it was exploring every possible avenue to help anyone affected. He also noted that this would only affect "legacy games" like Call of Duty 4 or Modern Warfare 2, and that future titles would employ security measures above and beyond the platform security.

This has got to be quite a blow, not just to Infinity Ward, but to Sony as well. Not only have the hacks opened the door for clever pirates, they're also threatening the integrity of the PS3's online multiplayer. The impact of gamers losing confidence in PSN could be quite severe for Sony, especially if it hopes to make a profit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106422-Sony-PSN-Losing-Money-Right-Now-Next-Year-Should-Be-Better] on the service this year.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/17/blame-mw2-hacks-on-compromised-ps3-security-says-infinity-ward/]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Having played on both PSN and XBL, I have noticed that there seems to be a LOT more hacks happening on PSN, hence the reason I stick with XBL.
Sorry Sony.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Hmmm, seems to me the typical 'eggs in one basket' I'm accually a little shocked that they didnt have at least some sort of secondary security within the games.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Ah, someone was telling me about the hackers being abundant on the PS3. Thank god I have it on PC.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Firstly, ppl still play MW2?!

Second, Have any hacked PS3 done any good at all? and y i shouldn't just support Sony in their lawsuits against the "hackers?"

Just seems like nothing but bad news (to be fair, i'm pretty sure Microsoft have had to deal with these problems too, its just not made public too often)

Jaranja said:
Ah, someone was telling me about the hackers being abundant on the PS3. Thank god I have it on PC.
ironic you'd say that, from what i hear every other person on the PC version cheats in the game lol (guess thats not really related to the information hacking)

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Jaranja said:
I see what you did there.

OT: I like how they say they will help "anyone affected" once the PS3 becomes secure again.

What about the PC version. It feels like they abandoned it. But I suppose that's more VAC as well.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
amaranth_dru said:
Having played on both PSN and XBL, I have noticed that there seems to be a LOT more hacks happening on PSN, hence the reason I stick with XBL.
Sorry Sony.
Six to one, half a dozen to the other.

Though you don't often hear about massive bans from Sony.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
acer840 said:
Jaranja said:
I see what you did there.

OT: I like how they say they will help "anyone affected" once the PS3 becomes secure again.

What about the PC version. It feels like they abandoned it. But I suppose that's more VAC as well.
I did what?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Aphex Demon said:
Dedicated Servers with admin rights would just sort the whole thing, done.
this isn't about in game cheaters as its more about alteration of information (account modding) dedicated servers will do nothing if whatever is stat tracking is hacked.

Plus do they have client side (public) dedicated server on consoles at all? o_O

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Aphex Demon said:
Dedicated Servers with admin rights would just sort the whole thing, done.
this isn't about in game cheaters as its more about alteration of information (account modding) dedicated servers will do nothing if whatever is stat tracking is hacked.

Plus do they have client side (public) dedicated server on consoles at all? o_O
True...

No, they dont, not for the 360, or the PS3 I dont think.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Jaranja said:
acer840 said:
Jaranja said:
I did what?
Never mind, I thought you were being sarcastic. My bad.
I've probably come across 3 hackers in my year (probably over that) of having CoD4 on the PC.
Ahhhhhh, yeah. MW2 on PC, all day, a couple of days ago all I could find were games of hackers or hacked servers. Not fun dying every 3 seconds from unseen people half a map away.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
acer840 said:
Jaranja said:
acer840 said:
Jaranja said:
I did what?
I've probably come across 3 hackers in my year (probably over that) of having CoD4 on the PC.
Ahhhhhh, yeah. MW2 on PC, all day, a couple of days ago all I could find were games of hackers or hacked servers. Not fun dying every 3 seconds from unseen people half a map away.
I don't see why you'd get MW2 on the PC. Isn't it just a bad port?

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Jaranja said:
acer840 said:
Jaranja said:
acer840 said:
Jaranja said:
I did what?
I think the opposite actually. I'll be buggered if I can get CoD4 to work on PC, but MW2 works fine. And playing and having both the PS3 and PC version, I wouldn't say its a bad port no.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
While I don't own a PS3 or MW2/CoD4, I can back up the fact that Call of Duty gets hacked to hell. Screw 81923523 rounds survived on Der Riese. I really is a problem.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Robert Bowling is their "creative strategist" now?

Good. Good fucking move, guys.

Also, so, erm, don't hear Guerilla complaining, do I?

Jaranja said:
Well, no, not really, it's entirely playable. The problems are mostly based on the poor online support.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
These games will always be hacked by people who have a compulsive addiction to leveling up their internet dicks. There's really just not much you can do about it. I remember one obstacle course game where the leaderboards were based on the shortest time; the best was in the negatives.