Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

Want to lose weight? Don't snack while you game.

As gamers, much (if not all) of our free time is spent playing the games we love, and that means we have little time to devote to things like sitting down for a proper meal. Why should we, when it's so much easier to just bring our plate back to our desk and nosh while we do our daily quests in WoW?

If we're trying to lose weight, though, this could end up hurting us: A new study by the School of Experimental Psychology at the University of Bristol's nutrition and behavior unit suggests that eating while playing games is a good way to pack on the pounds.

The study examined the ways in which splitting one's attention affected appetite and the amount one eats. Subjects were split into two groups: One ate a lunch of nine different foods while simultaneously playing the classic time-waster Solitaire, and the other ate the same lunch without any distractions.

Afterwards, the study found, the gamers felt less full and ate twice as many snacks half an hour after eating lunch as their counterparts who hadn't been trying to find the black eight to put on the red nine. What's more, the Solitaire players had more trouble trying to remember just what they'd eaten.

So remember, folks - as tempting as it can be to bring your microwaved pizza to your couch with you while settling in for a match of Halo: Reach, it might hurt your waistline in the long run.

(CVG [http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/game-playing-can-influence-food-intake-2172967.html])

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait, so eating while doing a sedate activity makes you fat?

*Looks at expanding waistline* I never would have guessed.....

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Sitting still and eating calorie-intensive foodstuffs can cause an increase in weight?

Madness!

EDIT: Yes, I've re-read the article after a good night of sleep. Unintentionally skipped over parts of it when I first read it. No need to keep replying to this. :p

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
JaredXE said:

What he said. Something tells me that the people doing these studies work at the Department of Redundancy Department.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
Well as much as my pride for saying "YAY my hometown is mentioned in this article"
Uni Bristol have stated the obvious...Eating+0 Exercise = Increased weight? *Facepalm*

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
All they're saying is that gamers eat more, not that it leads to increased weight. We need that extra fuel to keep our super-large gaming minds functioning.

At least our brains aren't sedate like those who can stare off into space while eating.

EDIT: This was a tongue in-cheek response, my initial thoughts on reading the title of this was "Well, duh".

geierkreisen

Jul 5, 2010
As long as I am too immersed to get back up for another snack, what's the fuzz?! A pizza is a pizza is a pizza.

I'd rather be told how to change my diet to fight shortsightedness, high blood pressure and neck pains from gaming than simply to be told to "eat less".

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
JaredXE said:

What he said. Something tells me that the people doing these studies work at the Department of Redundancy Department.
My thoughts exactly. The sad thing is, they waste money to do these studies and let us all know what was already painfully obvious.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
How about eating while watching TV? I couldn't eat and game at the same time, I'd be too fussed about getting greasy fingers on my controller x3

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
No.. No kidding... I can't believe. Really sitting still and eating can be bad for you?
You know how I lost 10kilos in 2 months. I sat down, gamed and didn't eat anything.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Dexiro said:
How about eating while watching TV? I couldn't eat and game at the same time, I'd be too fussed about getting greasy fingers on my controller x3
Same...also I would be too busy being HARDCORE NUUUUUGHHHGHHG!1! *smashes head to open coke can* [sub][sub][sub]Ow.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

OT: I am too busy concentrating and also I don't really sit in the most convent place to snack...
I sit on the arm of the sofa because that's the only place I can get a good view of the TV
[sub][sub]My family hates games[/sub][/sub]

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Now see, I prepare the amount of food I'm going to eat well playing BEFORE I sit down to pay attention to the game. When I run out, I run out.

What's so hard about that for the people in the study? Oh, their meals weren't made by them? Is that normal for gamers or something?

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
I think they are refering to splitting your attention, rather than just eating while sitting still, though I already knew that, I though it was common knowlege.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
In other news, humans need air to live abd China is the big country bordering the other end of the Pacific Ocean, along with Japan, Korea, Russia, Australia, and many others.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I'll be sure to keep my snacking reserved to other activities.

Like reading. Watching movies. Listening to music.

Until theres a study showing the link between these and weight gain I'll just believe it to be safe!

Thank you good research!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
In other news, people who have jobs are generally richer than people who don't. Commentary at 11.

...seriously, this seems like an obvious point. Although I do wonder if there's a similar comparison to be made with moviegoers and popcorn...

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Dexiro said:
Same problem there I'm afraid, if you divide your attention you tend to miss the chemical signal that tells you that you're full.

Jesus Phish said:
I'll be sure to keep my snacking reserved to other activities.

Like reading. Watching movies. Listening to music.

Until theres a study showing the link between these and weight gain I'll just believe it to be safe!

Thank you good research!
Read the above, I know it's a joke, but there are in fact people stupid enough to think like that.