Robert Downey Jr to Play Brilliant, Bespectacled Dog

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Robert Downey Jr to Play Brilliant, Bespectacled Dog

The Sherlock Holmes star will lend his voice to one of Jay Ward's beloved Rocky and Bullwinkle characters.

DreamWorks is making a feature film version of "Peabody's Improbable History," from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons of the 1960s, and director Rob Minkoff (The Lion King, Stuart Little) has found the voice for his pup protagonist in Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes). Entertainment Weekly reports that "the project was just announced internally to the DreamWorks staff," and so not much is known, but the details that are available are pretty exciting.

The filmmakers debated using some CGI/live-action hybrid nonsense, but finally settled on a fully computer animated film, which will, of course, be released in 3D. The script was written by Jeffrey Ventimilia and Joshua Sternin, both of whom have written for The Simpsons and The Critic (although their last film together was the live-action hybrid Yogi Bear). The plot will undoubtedly follow Mr. Peabody and his boy, Sherman, though their time-traveling adventures in the WABAC (pronounced "wayback") machine, but will also address how the pair found one another. The role of Sherman has not yet been cast.

The duo appeared in shorts that helped comprise Rocky and his Friends and The Bullwinkle Show, which I know from my childhood as a VHS collection called The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. A compilation called Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends is available on DVD, though, so there's no excuse not to check it out.

The film is scheduled for release in 2014.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/17/robert-downey-jr-peabody-sherman/]

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
i can see him doing a good job, did u guys know he is doing Mr Peanut for those commercials? His voice seems like it would fit the role well.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I'm surprised, I watch a looot of cartoons and I've never heard of this show. I have heard of Rocky and bulwinkle but only from the awful movie that came about a few years ago, which if I'm not dreaming, starred Kenan and Kell.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Everyone on planet earth was clamoring for a Rocky and Bullwinkle reboot. I have likewise heard no clamoring for the Yogi Bear movie. Nor did I hear clamoring to remake planes trains and automobiles.

I'm simply disappointed that Downy and Zach Galifianakis did that silly "Planes Trains and Automobiles" do-over instead of doing an awesome Ciaphas Cain and Jurgen.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I was starting to see this in a relatively decent light until you remarked that its writers were behind the new Yogi Bear movie. Now I'm sad for Mr. Downey.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh God, this is going to suck, I can just tell... Well, there goes another beloved child-hood memory getting ruined forever.

Apr 17, 2009
NOT THE KIPPERS! YOU BASTARD!
Ahem.

Onyx Oblivion said:
I just read brilliant dog.

And thought Gromit.

Now, I'm disappointed.
Why? He can't voice Gromit because Gromit never speaks, and playing him in live action would be ridiculous if strangely amusing

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Pallindromemordnillap said:
NOT THE KIPPERS! YOU BASTARD!
Ahem.

Onyx Oblivion said:
I just read brilliant dog.

And thought Gromit.

Now, I'm disappointed.
Why? He can't voice Gromit because Gromit never speaks, and playing him in live action would be ridiculous if strangely amusing
Exactly. It'd be amusing to see him play a silent dog in live action. He could do it, though.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Are American producers so desperate to cash in on the Doctor Who craze that they settled for making a parody?

Nov 10, 2010
Rocky and Bullwinkle may have been the second greatest cartoons ever (second to Looney Tunes in their heyday)

Please God don't mess this one up