289: What Happens in New Vegas

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
What Happens in New Vegas

Russ Pitts is on a "bug hunt" in Fallout: New Vegas.

Read Full Article

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Strange, i only experienced 1 crash doing exactly the same thing as what stood in the article. Though i had it for the PC so that could be what made a difference.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
I can totally agree that there were far to many quest related bugs that turn other factions hostile, but good lord man, what you went through sounds like agony. Although I will admit I am on my tenth character because of my trial and error way of playing. Still a really good game, no question about that.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
What Happens in New Vegas

Russ Pitts is on a "bug hunt" in Fallout: New Vegas.

Read Full Article
There's a big patch release for the PS3 version. Which version did you play, and with or without the bug fixes?

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
It's possible you were being attacked because you had the audacity to put on Power Armor... If you wear the brotherhood power armor NCR will shoot on sight. No matter how much they might like you, and no matter if they have an alliance w/ the Brotherhood or not.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Reading this makes me think Russ never played a 90s era PC CD-ROM game. That's not exactly the standard a locked-down console title should be compared too, which is of course the fuel for the article. But, still, I can't think of a console game, even back to the PS1, that didn't have some freeze issue or crash or even just lock up. Not one. Let's not even get started on PC releases since THE BEGINNING OF MAGNETIC MEDIA.

I'm not saying Russ is wrong or that F3:NV didn't deserve some ribbing for meeting content expectations so well while still dropping the ball on completeness in the "smooth ride" area. I'm saying that, compared to Arkham Asylum (which flat melted one of my PS3s), or GTAIV, or RDR, or even Fallout 3 itself, F3:NV only seemed marginally buggier than the _current_ norm. Given the size of the studio, which everyone acknowledges, couldn't they get a lot more slack considering the quality that does exist and the fact that they have come through and delivered in a way that many companies never did or ever will? They weren't guilty, to my knowledge, of the kind of hubris that regularly spurts from, say, Valve or Epic or the like.

For that, crashes and all, I give 'em a big pass. I hope they get to do another Fallout. I'm pretty much positive it will still kick ass on the substantials. I'm also sure that many will find a way to locally calibrate and discover a metric that proves it's shit.

C'est la vie, ceci est guerre, telle est amour, rien est juste.

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
I'm sorry but I don't seem to be getting any bugs at all, my crashes will only happen when my ps3 overheats because they will happen on any game.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Sounds about what my experience with New Vegas was, pretty bloody pissed off I paid full price for it the day it came out. If I knew it was going to be a bug ridden piece of shit I'd of waited a few months.

Garrett Richey

Apr 6, 2010
Hmmm as buggy as it was for me (crashes a plenty, clipping issues [which I've discovered you're able to get yourself stuck in the terrain by using mêlée and vats on such enemies], and a couple corrupted saves [or buggy quests I'm not sure which exactly] causing consistent crashes in some spots), my experience on the PC wasn't nearly as bad as all this... and now with the patch out I haven't run into any bugs that I can be sure aren't being caused by mods (crashes, no clipping issues or consistent crashes).

All said the fact that such a buggy game can garner such positive reviews thanks to it's writing says quite a lot and I for one hope other developers take notice and give us more games with strong plots and dialog, and hopefully less bugs.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I completed it twice (once normal and once hardcore mode) in 60 hours according to steam. I have no idea how even with crashes it would take 100 hours to complete once. Admittedly I played it quite late on so I probably already had patches downloaded.

I loved this game and as soon as I have some usable amount of free time again I'm going to play through again.

There was annoyingly one bug that broke the main quest for me, which wasn't really a bug but a freak accident that was really annoying. I went to kill the Brotherhood of steel for Caesar, no mean feat for a level 19 character on hardcore mode, and after a lot of attempts to so much as enter the base I managed to get in. I was promptly torn to pieces by their turrets. As I really couldn't be arsed to go away and level up (the only solution) I used a console command to hack their turrets (yeah yeah, I'm a cheating bastard I know). I then went in and even though the turrets did a lot of the work I still had a whole other level below to wipe out which I managed. It then told me I had to blow up the base and in order to do that I needed key cards from 3 people in the base, I already had picked up two but I couldn't find the guy who had the 3rd anywhere. Eventually I found him. It turned out when I killed him his body had slipped through a small gap in the floor and was lying under the floor, out of reach. As I sure as hell wasn't going through the entire ordeal again I turned off clipping and went and got it. PC games FTW.
xchurchx said:
well not realy surprising seeing the engine they use is at least 5 years old
Wouldn't that make it easier to debug then as they know more about it?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I find it funny that everyone complains about New Vegas. I wonder how many people can think back to previous Fallout games and remember how buggy they where. Fallout wasn't exactly the most stable PC game released. Fallout 2 had a patch that destroyed your save games; If you never got the patch you couldn't complete the game. Fallout Tactics was probably the least buggy of the systems, but it wasn't exactly perfectly stable. Fallout 3 wasn't bug free, but it was the most stable of the series.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Was playing on PS3, and the only real bug I've encountered was very early into the game I found I couldn't sell any of my inventory. I could buy with no problem, but if I tried to sell, game would freeze. Tried running to several different tradesmen with same issue. So I sat on the game till the big patch came out and then everything worked fine.

Other than that, the only other issue I've had is the game froze on me once while changing map squares. Luckily I had saved just recently beforehand.

Yet as seemingly bug-free as this game has been for me compared to Fallout 3, it's still not impressing me as much.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I played it on xBox 360, and it crashed only three times. However, I did have my fair share of enemies under the ground and there were some quest problems, too, which prevented me from completing a quest.

Russ Pitts said:
I pull a few tricks for House, just to earn some caps and move the story along and then, out of the blue, I'm told the NCR won't deal with me anymore. Seems they have a beef with House. The fact I've been running all over the damn wasteland like a butt boy for the NCR doesn't seem to matter. The fact that I've completed more missions for idiots in the NCR incapable of moving a box of stuff from one part of town to another on their own doesn't get me anywhere on their "Like-o-meter." I'm either House's or theirs, they say and without being given a choice, I've made my choice. Game over. Shit.
However, that sounds rather strange. At a certain point, both NCR and the Legion will send you a message which tells you that they will cut all ties with you if you help others. Don't say you weren't warned, unless there was a bug of some sort.

Edit: As it seems there are some Fallout people here, does anyone know if the Steam version of Fallout (the original one) works on windows 7? I haven't gotten my own version to work since I started using windows 7.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Fallout New Vegas is extremely glitchy, yet loads of fun? How has nobody noticed this before?

Why the heck did you side with NCR? Bunch of self righteous incompetent hypocrites. And don't call my grandma a crossdresser :'(

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Good article. It crashed on me twice within the first 2 hours, but I stuck with it and had fun.

And fuck the NCR and the Legion, son! It's all about that Wild Card quest!

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Fucking hate how lazily this game was built, all the glitches and the piss poor graphics are completely uncalled for...*goes back to playing New Vegas* damnit, I shouldn't be having this much fun.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I think my total playtime was 96 hours and I completed every quest and got every ending. Maybe all your crashes made it take longer?
I only experienced a couple bugs here and there.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
I can't express how hugely ironic it is that the PC version is evidently more stable than its 360 counterpart.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.