On Multiplayer

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Well, that finally explains it.
Thanks, Yahtz. Hopefully the fanboys will leave you alone now.

Omega Pirate

Sep 20, 2010
I also hate competitive multiplayer. However I do enjoy co-op against in game enemies and bosses. Little Big Planet and Monster Hunter Tri are what I enjoy. Not something like COD or Halo.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Same stance as you, I just don't bother with competitive multiplayer. I don't need to prove anything to anyone in the virtual space.

It's the opposite. People who play competitive multiplayer are the real saddos, wasting >200 hours on the same repetitive gameplay.

Feb 13, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
I think it was a random NPC from No One Lives Forever
+1 Coolness points for that quote.

I think I can tolerate most people - working in retail does that to you - but someone screaming "IS THIS ON? CAN YOU GUYS HEAR ME?" or mouthbreathers or "YOU **** **** **** **** ***** *** *** **** ***"....

Nah, that's when I go singleplayer.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
That's why I like local multiplayer a lot better than online multiplayer. If I'm going to beat someone or lose to someone, I want to know who they are so I can either a) ridicule them for sucking at the game or b) ridicule them for caring so much about winning and that they really need to get a life.

I'm also a fan of co-op, but getting a game for the co-op play usually just reminds me that I live an hour away from any of my friends that enjoy competitive video games and how little I'm actually going to get to enjoy the co-op aspect of my new game.

Na Klar Nick

Nov 18, 2009
I enjoy multiplayer if I'm playing with a group of friends against the medley of morons that we get matched up against, but as soon as I don't have any sane, rational people around me I log off.

deora2dude

Mar 24, 2009
thats why i enjoy Team Fortress, in a 0-20 player server, odds are you're going to have to play well and support the rest of your team to win, but in a 26-34 player server, you can just jump ship and do whatever, and its a bit like a singleplayer game with particularly intellegent AI scooting about.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
You just described my outlook on competitive multiplayer. I don't like losing or being taunted for a loss, but if I win, so what? Particularly in such a dense player-environment as WoW where it's more than likely your opponent will be a 5-year veteran packing the %1 Chance to Drop [Sword of Infinite Awesomeness] if they're so hot to challenge you.

I like cooperative multiplayer, whether in WoW or shooters or even RTS. Even if my teamie is weak, helping him to triumph over adversity or get better is oddly fulfilling for me (guess which JRPG badge I got). Also, thank you for introducing 'Saddo' to my repetoire of insults. It's great because it can mean 'Sadomasochist' or 'Sad' as in 'That's just sad'.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Sadpants McGee is still on top. At this point it is a race for number 2.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Listen, not wanting to hang out on xbox live doesn't make you a saddo. Its a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Here is a cool story: I dont like multiplayer with people I dont know because the jerk to normal person ratio is way too high. I dont like playing competitive multiplayer against my friends because I want to stay friends. So that leaves me with coop multiplayer with friends. And I have had some of my best and most memorable gaming experiences playing coop with friends. I dont think this is actually that uncommon.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
that was actually pretty mature to admit. i mean, in a world where people constantly accuse yahtzee of being nothing more than a hater of multiplayer and also having his entire career based around giving those people reasons to hate him, it's nice to know what makes him the gamer that got him hired for this job. bravo.

but as far as multiplayer goes, i actually don't mind winning or losing. i've always been suck-tacular at competitive multiplayer and that stuck with me and still is stuck with me. so even though i've improved i find myself getting excited about the simplest of accomplishments while at the same time not getting too mad at losing a match. don't get me wrong i still rage-quit every once in a while, but i rage off mic and after the xbox is turned off.

but with that said, i always had a hard time playing games where you fight one on one like SF4 or MvC2. it reminds me too much of the days where friends would sucker me into playing Mortal Kombat and then subsequently kick my ass cause my mom was on the bandwagon of "it will turn you into a serial murderer who has sex with the bodies after you gutted them" when i have three faceless enemies infront of me, sure, i can lose no problem. but one on one dueling, i've always kind of shy'ed away from.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I play competitive MP games for the enjoyment, winning or losing matters not and for some reason, like Goku from DBZ, getting my ass beat makes me a better player. Sometimes tho, I play games I'm insanely good at (and I don't honestly know how I am) simply to listen to the one who really care about winning piss and moan how I was "cheating" or "hacking" or how some variant of the word "fag" is part of my genetic makeup. Its simply amusing to know that by pressing a few buttons I can induce rage from miles or even continents away.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
With a name like Sadpants, you really have to blame his parents. He never had a chance. The wildly innappropriate actions of his uncle and grandfather probably didn't help either.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am in a similar position. I don't mind playing with random people, but not against.

When I play co-op against the computer, especially games that tag you to tasks as complex as "reach the end of the level, and kill everything on your path" (like Left 4 Dead, Borderland or Resistance 2), then even noobs can cooperate to archieve the goal...
When I play competitive, I know I am the noob that didn't spend +100 hours to reach level 50, unlock everything and knows the best places to get headshots in every map and the best weapons to do it. I understand that for some people that is the goal of the game, but for me its just about having fun.

By the way, one nice exception I find recently is NFS: Hot Pursuit. Its competitive online, but it only matches you against your friends, which makes it more personal (and fun) that just trying to beat some random guy...

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
You know, Reading his extra punctuations, I wouldn't be surprised if he one day killed himself.

Of course, I don't know him, I just read his articles. And however autobiographic most articles are, writing is the esiest form of acting.