Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Offers Feeling of Flying

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Offers Feeling of Flying

Square Enix's new 3DS Kingdom Hearts title will make players feel like they're Superman.

Square Enix had more than one [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107031-Final-Fantasy-Agito-XIII-Becomes-Final-Fantasy-Type-0] name change in store for this week's 1st Production Premiere Event. Kingdom Hearts 3D for the Nintendo 3DS has now been renamed Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, which is a hint toward how the game will use the handheld's 3D effect.

At the Premiere, Kingdom Hearts 3D director Yasushi Yasue revealed that Dream Drop Distance will feature both Sora and Riku, with players able to switch between them at will. Yasue said this switch will add a new tactical element to the game.

Dream Drop Distance will make use of 3D when players are "falling" or "flying." The game's new trailer shows players falling from the sky in a first-person mode, with balloons and other objects moving upward that will presumably be displayed in 3D.

The trailer also shows how Yasue wants Dream Drop Distance to imbue players with a new sense of speed. Riku and Sora bounce between walls, swing around posts, and jump into groups of monsters with lightning-quick weapon slashes. It's very fast.

Perhaps subconsciously, Square Enix confirmed that we're in for a new generation of acronyms now that Nintendo is moving on to the 3DS. It'll be tough to string three "D" words together in a row, but I think the game industry is up for the challenge. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance was not given a release date.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/18/kingdom-hearts-3ds-is-kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance/]

MadGodXero

Dec 6, 2009
Really? Another Kingdom Hearts title? Though now I think the 3DS will be on my list of things I want, like a new computer.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Never been a big fan of Kingdom hearts, and that doesn't look 3D, it looks like a kaleidoscope. (I know it will look 3D on the system, but for a teaser trailer the insect-eye view is unnecessary).

Also, Dream Drop Distance = You're trying too hard. Reminds me of when I was a kid, trying to make acronyms out of things. "Let's see... SODA. Such Obligatory Delicious Ascension." It never made any sense, and Dream Drop Distance doesn't really seem to either.

Of course, there's obviously a translation barrier. See Donkey Kong.

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
Another Kingdom Hearts title. I'm not too fond of their habit of re-using previous environments and making a title out of a minuscule bit of story, but the new combat mechanics make me kind of looking forward to this one. Plus, one of those worlds is Paris in Hunchback of Notre-Dame, my all-time favourite Disney movie.

Oh nostalgia.. the things you make me buy.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Why does the game play remind me of Sonic? I really hope Square doesn't give Sega any ideas, but then again, maybe that would be an improvement for the Sonic team, since their own ideas usually aren't any good.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
[rage]WHEN THE HECK ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE A PROPER KINDGOM HEARTS 3.[/rage]

It is really weird to hear the japanese Mickey. This does not look bad too bad it will be for 3ds and I do not really plan on getting one. I think I will finally have to give up on the kingdom hearts games. They have basically been rehashing the same time between 1 and 2 forever and it does not seem like they are going to ever actually get around to making a proper 3rd one.

Aussie Legend

Feb 24, 2010
Wow, that's one of the worst titles I've heard in a good while.

Also, for gods sake Square MAKE KINGDOM HEARTS 3 OR GTFO!

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Alright, this shit is gettin' old real quick. Square, quit milkin' the series trying to earn some cash every time you guys have a new idea over there, release KH3, and end it all.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Yeah yeah 3D, very nice gimmick blah blah etc etc, but what is the story?! I want to know what's going on in this game
Aussie Legend said:
Wow, that's one of the worst titles I've heard in a good while.

Also, for gods sake Square MAKE KINGDOM HEARTS 3 OR GTFO!
Also this

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Am I the only one who's thinking that the characters looked like they age regressed a little bit?

Also, what's with the sonic adventure 2 grinding?

also, drop physics is your selling point?

What kind of contract is nintendo making square and disney sign here?

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
Even though I'm not excited for the game to be released, watching the video gave me nostalgia. Awwww man Kingdom Hearts, thought it was the most epic of the epic games back then.

They're going to make a Hunch Back World ?! I wish they're would've put that earlier, I love that movie.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Ok, more Kingdom Hearts for a plataform I don't have.

Poke me again when they release one for a not-portable-console, please.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
midpipps said:
[rage]WHEN THE HECK ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE A PROPER KINDGOM HEARTS 3.[/rage]
I agree completely... WHERE THE FUDGE IS KINGDOM HEARTS 3! Come on guys! Stop giving us stories in between stories, and just give a new story! Gosh dang it!

OT: Looks fun, but I wonder what worlds are going to be in there? Probably the obvious worlds like Agrabah and Halloween Town, but what else? I kind of want a world based upon "The Black Cauldron" and another world based upon "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", but you know what would be really cool? A black and white world for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit!

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
5 bucks says no new worlds
They've already shown one in that trailer to be the Hunch Back of Notre Dame. (the massive belfry was a dead give away) Considering that they seem to want to drop us off of lots of high places I wonder if this means we will get a Great Mouse Detective world with a fight on the clock hands of Big Ben.

Also we're not getting three until the KH team finish making FF13 versus, which is looking like somewhere between never and "pfft, hell if we know".

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
These spin-offs are making me angry. It'd be great if I didn't have to go to several different gaming platforms just to understand a single story better. Kingdom Hearts 3 or bust, Square. Either that or actually do something about Final Fantasy Versus XIII, because I'm quite anxious to see how that turns out.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I'll probably end up buying it...looks like the closest we're going to get to KH3...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Ok. This looks fucking epic, but why do we have do have them on hand-helds!? I really want a proper console KH! I don't have a fucking PSP or DS.... *Grumblegrumblegrumble*
Wow. I'm glad almost -everyone- else feels the same.