Blizzard Expanding WoW Achievements Into "Blizzard Levels"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Expanding WoW Achievements Into "Blizzard Levels"

World of Warcraft [http://www.blizzard.com] Achievement system expanded to its other new releases, letting players build a "Blizzard Level" covering a range of the company's titles.

A report on Diablo III [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/01/blizzard-accounts-achievements/]. "Eventually, our plans are for the Achievement system to become an account-based system," he said.

"For now the points are just a WoW character score. As we graduate to that Blizzard Account system, which is right on the horizon, it will switch over to a Blizzard Level," he continued. "Your WoW score would be just one factor that will go into your Blizzard Level. And rather than call it a "score," we just wanted it to be like you're leveling up on Blizzard games. You'll have this Blizzard identity, and you'll be able to see things like, 'Oh, this guy was great at Diablo III, but he never played StarCraft and he was mediocre in WoW.' That sort of thing."

The Achievement system will launch with the Wrath of the Lich King [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/] update, and while the Achievements are currently character-specific, Kaplan said he hopes to see the addition of account-specific Achievements in the first Lich King patch. "Things like, 'I have a Horde and Alliance character at maximum level,' or 'I have three max-level characters,'" he explained. "For WoW, it'll let us do a lot of really cool Achievements, and we can start doing this once Achievements exist at the account level."

Wrath of the Lich King is currently in closed beta and is expected to launch by the end of 2008.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Malygris said:
"Things like, 'I have a Horde and Alliance character at maximum level,' or 'I have three max-level characters,'" he explained. "For WoW, it'll let us do a lot of really cool Achievements, and we can start doing this once Achievements exist at the account level."
Oh shit.

That's all I have to say.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Why don't they just make future titles only accessible from within World of Warcraft and get it over with? ;-)

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
HalfShadow post=7.67568.710308 said:
Oh look; it's upset.

That's adorable.
I don't understand. What did he do?

On topic: So there've made WoW even more addictive. I'm sure the enslaved are going to love that.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
dear god...

now its not about accumulating EXP to get to 70...

its about accumulating 70's...

c-can they be stopped...?

Hammered

Sep 8, 2008
Ultrajoe post=7.67568.717957 said:
dear god...

now its not about accumulating EXP to get to 70...

its about accumulating 70's...

c-can they be stopped...?
Doesnt seem like it...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008

This gives a pretty decent explanation of Blizzard's plot to keep everyone at their Computer.