New Starbucks Size Larger Than Average Capacity of Human Stomach

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
New Starbucks Size Larger Than Average Capacity of Human Stomach

Starbucks is introducing a whopping new beverage size, but limiting the types of beverages that can be ordered in such a quantity.

Until now, coffee retailer Starbucks offered 3 sizes: "tall," "grande," and "venti." The coffee giant is adding a new size, which will hold more than the contents of many human stomachs. The new "trenta" size will hold 31 ounces, or 916 mL of select Starbucks beverages, and will top the current largest offering ("venti") by 7 oz. To put this in perspective, the average capacity of a human stomach is 900 mL. The National Post has assembled a visual breakdown of this, which can be viewed here [http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01/17/graphic-how-big-exactly-is-starbucks-new-trenta-size/].

Only iced coffee, iced tea, and lemonade will be available in the new size, disallowing anyone from getting 31 ounces of hot coffee at once (which, to my mind, would be the only point in introducing a new size). This may be to keep their calorie-based boasts accurate; according to the National Post, "The world's biggest coffee chain said unsweetened drinks in the new size will have fewer than 90 calories and that sweetened versions will have less than 230 calories."

The new size is now available in 14 states, including Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Texas, and Virginia, and will be available in California on February 1. You'll be able to grab a trenta of your favorite beverage -- provided you like iced beverages, that is -- everywhere in the US by May 3. There's no word yet on when the new cup will roll out overseas.

Source: Gizmodo [http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01/17/u-s-starbucks-to-one-up-venti-with-new-larger-size-the-trenta/]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/lollaping/2702587360/in/photostream/])

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
They are slowly on their way to beating 7-11's cup size, especially after the size reduction in the Super Big Gulp.
And so begins the beverage wars.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
I like starbucks (even though it's expensive) I like the ice coffees they have good thing they come out in time for spring and summer
still not the biggest cold drink I had
44 oz slushie from speedway is still at tops

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
wow, that's a LOT of coffee!

to be honest I would probably actually buy it, for a challenge :)

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
A litre.

A GODDAMNED litre?!

OF COFFEE?

At least they're not putting the REALLY bad stuff in this size. But STILL.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
What a pointless infographic. How many pints of beer do people drink before they need to visit the little boys or girls room? Normally significantly more in volume than this "impossible to drink" cup of coffee. Although I would be bouncing off the walls if I drank all that at once.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
...Holy...

Hm...I think 33 oz of anything 'iced' would take me so long to consume that it would be warm and disgusting by the end of it. And then I'd probably be ill. I can't even finish a Starbucks 'tall' frappucino sometimes! =P

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
whats the point of restricting people from buying coffee in the trenta size.. If they are a paying customer they should be able to buy whatever they want

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
And Starbuck's dedication to bullshit italian-esque beverage names continues!

Seriously, if you need that much coffee just get raw caffeine and hook yourself up to an IV drip of the stuff

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Well, I usually finish a venti caramel frap in only a few minutes, hopefully I will be able to keep one of these around for awhile. Finally a cup size fit for me!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Bring. It. The. Fuck. On.
Of course, I live in England, so Starbucks is rare...
But bring it anyway!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
You know there are times I could use a massive cup of lemonade. Though given Starbucks' prices I'd probably need to re-mortgage to afford it.

Feb 13, 2008
At this point I should like to mock the metric system for not getting coffee yet. ;)

But we were drinking pint mugs of coffee back in the Castle Rock in '88. (568 ml)
Two if we were really drunk.