WWE Champion: "Games Are Games, Reality Is Reality"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WWE Champion: "Games Are Games, Reality Is Reality"

Parents need to be involved with what their kids watch and play, says WWE Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston, but violent games aren't real life.

Kofi Kingston - born in Ghana as Kofi Sarkodie-Mensah - makes no secret of the fact that he's a gamer. He owns every console, plays Madden and Black Ops regularly, and once told Nintendo Power that he'd always wanted to own a pink hoodie like the one owned by boxer Little Mac in Punch-Out!! [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!]. He's also a rising pro wrestling superstar in the world of the WWE, who earlier this month took the Intercontinental Championship belt from Dolph Ziggler (seen here).

The Escapist had a chance to briefly chat with Kingston at a recent event meant to currently in front of the Supreme Court [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8561-Hands-On-WWE-All-Stars] - it seemed that Kingston, as wrestler and gamer, would be in a position to comment on the issue: Does violent media affect children?

"I always say it really is up to the parents to really kinda police what their kids are watching," he said. With the WWE, continued Kingston, "[It's] a PG show and we advertise that "G" - that it's entertainment. We tell everyone to not try what we do at home, because we train for years to perfect the moves that we do - and there's still a lot of risk. So we always stress to not try what we do at home."

Kingston said he thought it was important to remember that it was all about the fiction of the matter. "We're all about really storytelling when you think about it. It's all about - if I'm going up against a guy like the Big Show, it's the whole David and Goliath story. A guy like Sheamus coming out of nowhere and winning the WWE championship, it's the story of 'He's a beast, he's a monster, he's coming in to take over.' Of a young guy trying to make an impression."

And what about games? "I wouldn't say [there's any correlation between games and violence]," said Kingston - who pointed to the exaggerated cartoon physics and visuals in WWE All-Stars as an example. "With a game like WWE All-Stars, you can look at it and see that it's exaggerated, no one can do these moves in real life, you know what I mean?"

"It's impossible to do some of the things that they do, so you really have to take it in stride and realize that games are games, and reality is reality."

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Maybe games dont cause violence, but I certainly remember the time my friend tombstoned my other friend at school.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
...Why is a guy that gets his head beaten on a regular basis have more sense then every single person in Congress?

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
...Why is a guy that gets his head beaten on a regular basis have more sense then every single person in Congress?
Because he doesn't actually gets his head beaten on.

Prometherion said:
Maybe games dont cause violence, but I certainly remember the time my friend tombstoned my other friend at school.
People also try stuff from movies and fail. What's your point? That people can be stupid and try to reenact stuff they see, even if they are told not to?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I remember the interview involving the pink hoodie back when I read Nintendo Power. Plus, I remember that match he had with Dolph Ziggler.

OT: Well, that makes sense. Plus, what event did this happen?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Prometherion said:
I also remember being tombstoned at school.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I don't have too much respect for people who participate in stage fighting that's marketed as real, but I guess I agree with what he said...

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
Femaref said:
This is actually a misconception.

I hate people that think just because wrestling is scripted, these guys still aren't getting their asses kicked. It's physically enduring. Even though the other guy isn't trying to hurt you, you are getting slammed around and twisted in ways you shouldn't be :p

Ever notice how Hulk Hogan limps? Yeah

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
THQ seems to be riding the hype train hard on this one. Hope this one does really good and it all pays off. Maybe this game will tell the guys up top that no one really cares about the simulation style of the last series of games. (IMO at least)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
maybe it has too do with all the stupity that was beaten out of him its a scientific fact! you can,t punch stupity INTO a skull but you can beat it OUT OF it
OT somebody make this guy a spoke,s person for the gaming community

Femaref

May 4, 2008
BioHazardMan said:
Femaref said:
This is actually a misconception.

I hate people that think just because wrestling is scripted, these guys still aren't getting their asses kicked. It's physically enduring. Even though the other guy isn't trying to hurt you, you are getting slammed around and twisted in ways you shouldn't be :p

Ever notice how Hulk Hogan limps? Yeah
I didn't say it isn't physically enduring. Yes, you are punched etc. But real shots to the head don't really occur, and if, they are accidential, you can't fully prevent it. The guys are pretty intelligent actually, and mostly great actors. (TNA guy here btw, got tired of WWE).

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Timbydude said:
I don't have too much respect for people who participate in stage fighting that's marketed as real, but I guess I agree with what he said...
You don't respect people who take huge risks and suffer serious injuries to entertain the fans?

... you're not a fan of physical sports are you?

Feb 13, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
I think we should apply that process more readily. It seems to work.

Bagsy DDT'ing the Governator.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Trucken said:
Timbydude said:
You don't respect people who take huge risks and suffer serious injuries to entertain the fans?

... you're not a fan of physical sports are you?
...What? That wasn't at all what I was talking about.

I don't respect the fact that every single action in that ring is a hoax. The entire crux of wrestling is to make sure that the audience is convinced that the fighting onstage is real, even though it's not. WWE is barely a notch above the latest diet pill advertised on TV.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
ahhh ninja'd
O.T. I always liked kofi kingston since he first debuted I just like the attitude he had