Gears of War Triple Pack Not Coming to the UK, Says Microsoft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears of War Triple Pack Not Coming to the UK, Says Microsoft

UK gamers can already buy the Gears of War games cheaply, says Microsoft, so they're not losing out on anything.

The recently announced Gears of War triple pack, which includes the first two games, plus the All Fronts add-on, which contained all the downloadable content for Gears of War 2, will not be coming to the UK, or to anywhere else other than the US, for that matter.

Microsoft, which publishes the Gears of War games, said that collection was an exclusive promotion for the US region only. Gamers in the UK already had the opportunity to buy the games at a discounted price, it continued, as both were part of the Xbox 360 Classics range, a budget brand that is almost identical to the Platinum Hits range in the US. Obtaining both games, plus the downloadable material for Gears 2, would cost UK gamers a few pennies short of £35, Microsoft said, which is quite reasonable, but isn't anywhere near as much of a saving as the thirty bucks the triple pack will cost.

Microsoft's reasoning seems a little puzzling, to say the least. The fact that the Gears games can be picked up cheaply in the UK already doesn't seem to adequately explain why Microsoft wouldn't release the compilation in the country, especially not when you consider that you can buy them cheaply in the US as well. It's possible that that the budget re-releases of the Gears of War games have underperformed in the UK, leading Microsoft to believe that it would see a limited return on the compilation. If that were the case, the publisher might not be in a great rush to admit it.

The Gears of War Triple Pack comes out for Xbox 360 on February 15th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=284109?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I got Gears of War 1 with my xbox (didn't want it but didn't have a choice), and I've played number 2, and I personally can't stand the games, however I hate it when companies pull this kind of shit.

It's a global age for God's sake, stop it with the region bullshit already, I already pay more after currency conversion for a game then if I import it from another country, now they are doing packs for one country? Damnit. Bring on the One World Government already so we can stop this shit.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
That is indeed odd reasoning not to release the triple pack in UK...or Europe for that matter.

Wouldn't sales actually go up if all 3 games were in a decent priced package? Of course maybe not by that much since most people buying gears 3 already got gears 1 and 2.

...I just noticed, silly me, but why call it a triple pack? Gears 1 and 2 and the DLC for gears 2, is that "worthy" of a "triple" stamp on the pack?

Kinda misleading.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This sounds lazy, but I'd like to believe there is other reasons for it. Possibly poor sales of the game making them not want to sink the cash into producing and shipping, but it is still rather shady business.

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah I'm calling bullshit on this one, there's just no excuse. I expect the reasoning to be 'well they're smaller countries, so they already have them all'.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
You are joking right? It's almost impossible to get hold of the original Gears of War in most retail shops any more.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Epic you wonder why you got such a bad return here you never really supported gears of war 2 outside of the us.Europe had terrible lag and server support for at least 3 months after the release date while you tried to tell everybody here that there was nothing wrong.

I was a huge fan of gears of war but after the terrible support for Europe and now unwilling to sell your products over here dont expect us to buy your budget re-releases here

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
I'm seriously considering jumping the shark on the next hardware cycle. I love the xbox (especially its perfect controller) but its lesser hardware, lack of blu-ray, dodgy XBLA pay method, and woeful lack of compilations is pissing me off no end.

And i don't even like GOW, this just rilled me up

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Alternative titles:
Gears of War Three Not Coming to My House
or
My Money Not Going to Microsoft

I like Gears of War, but if they are going to rip me like this when I know our American cousins are getting a deal, puts me off

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
My assumption is that most UK gamers who want Gears of War 1 & 2 already have Gears of War 1 & 2. It's the case for everyone I know who both owns a 360 and wanted it. It's reasonable to assume there just wouldn't be enough demand for it.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Oh well , Im just gonna buy them separate on Gamestop when I go to USA this friday.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
ouch, MS. Not only are you pissing on PC gamers but you are now also pissing on people by nationality. So much hate for a corporate company.

Still, the PC version is expensive for a 3 year old game.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
USA! USA! USA!

Nah, I'm kidding, I really couldn't care. This is a franchise I really struggle to give a crap about, especially now it doesn't seem to want to make a PC outing any more. I mean mouse aim was what made the first game bearable, Gears of War 2 was more of the same repetitive and tedious enemy encounters with moronically simple and boring boss fights.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
So apparently, only the Americans are allowed to save money, and no other people? What about Norway, where games cost about the same as a house?
I'm getting the new 360 soon, and the Gears of War-games to play with my friends soon, and that sums up to a total of £250, or $500. And then Microsoft won't release the triple pack in Europe.
This makes me sad, Microsoft.

Code:
Respect for Microsoft -1

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Microsoft not supporting the non-US consumers equally to the US consumers? Lies, would never happen. It's unthinkable. Unthinkable!

Oh well, guess I can always rent GoW2. That's...crap I'm still paying as much as it costs with that pack. Brilliant.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Deadlock Radium said:
So apparently, only the Americans are allowed to save money, and no other people?
I'm of the opinion that the best way to save your money here, on either side of the Atlantic, is to skip the Gears of War games entirely. Only pick them up on rental or from some bargain bin.

They're hardly the best when it comes to third-person Cover-based shooters with competition from:
-Uncharted Trilogy
-Vanquish
-Lost Planet 1 & 2
-Mass Effect Trilogy
-Red Dead Redemption + GTA4 (a stretch, but still cover elements)

I'm frankly way more excited about Epic's own Bulletstorm. Gears 3 just seems to be the 2nd expansion pack for Gears 1 which sold far more on being the first interesting Xbox 360 exclusive and the novelty of the chainsaw gore. It looks cool, but it is no fun to actually use due to how bloody fiddly it is. Really it's just a reskin of 2004's Kill-Switch and the series since then has sold itself on gore gimmicks rather than really innovative gameplay changes.