Studio Behind Blur Faces Closure By Activision

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Studio Behind Blur Faces Closure By Activision

Bizarre Creations sunk a lot of money and effort into Blur but the racing game failed to "find a commercial audience."

Activision had high hopes for Bizarre Creations to forge a new driving game IP, but the game released by the Liverpool, England-based studio on May 25th last year didn't exactly finish with a checkered flag. According to numbers from NPD, Blur sold 31k copies the first week that it was out and sales tapered off after that. Executives from Activision, who own Bizarre Creations, placed the game studio on the auction block three months ago but despite reports that there were many interested parties, a buyer was not found. Coddy Johnson, chief operating officer of Activision Worldwide Studios, said today that he recommends the studio closes its doors, putting around 200 people out of a job.

"I want to be clear, our first choice was to try and keep this group together and find a buyer for the studio," Johnson said. "This decision comes after a few months of exhausted examination of a number of different options across the board."

Johnson said that he "explored a lot of leads - pretty much anyone you can imagine in the industry. But unfortunately, so far we've not been able to find any interested parties. So we've made, as a last resort, a recommendation to the team for closure."

Activision doesn't want to be the bad guy here, so Johnson pledged to help the staff of Bizarre Creations find work elsewhere. "We, of course, care about this team. We're offering the studio as many resources as possible, including counselling, external placement services and external career fairs."

I'm not sure what the options are here for Bizarre Creations or if they can refuse Activision's suggestion to close the studio. If the studio does end up closing, The Escapist wishes that all of its employees can find work soon.

It's never a good day to lose your job.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/36797/Breaking-Activision-recommends-Bizarre-closure]

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Sorry to hear that guys. You took a risk and it didn't work out, but gamers and other publishers should respect that.

I for one will always know them as the Geometry Wars developers. The sequel was really good and the Wii version was had a surprising amount of depth and creative levels.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Hmm, maybe the Escapist could use a game developer...

That's unfortunate for them, it's not like they deserved this fate. Goes to show you how harsh the industry can be, though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cursed Frogurt said:
Sorry to hear that guys. You took a risk and it didn't work out, but gamers and other publishers should respect that.

I for one will always know them as the Geometry Wars developers. The sequel was really good and the Wii version was had a surprising amount of depth and creative levels.
Likwise, GW 1 and 2 were amazing.

It's a shame Blur didn't do it for me. I wanted to support it, but it just didn't have enough to recommend it. The demo, while initially awesome, soon showed a lot of "meh" in the game.

Ridgemo

Feb 2, 2010
This is a true shame because i loved this game, was a fun racer that bought some mario kart to the xbox for me. Plus the online was alot more stable than alot of more popular games i can think of (Bad Company 2 i'm looking at you).

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
That's a bad sign of the times for the games industry; one game doesn't pay off and the studio gets sold or shut down. This is going to make developers second-guess themselves when considering anything new... which means more sequelitis in our future, dammit.

I'm going to miss Bizzare; Geometry Wars was a work of art in my opinion.

-- Steve

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
For the record, I hate racing games in general and I loved Blur. It's a shame that it didn't sell as well as it should have and the studio behind it is about to get the proverbial axe.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
iam not surprised to be honest ....
blur might have been a good game for some but i just saw nothing original in it at all ... its the old arcade racing shoot em up that's been around for years, like mario kart , all they did was make some new models and textures and it was done.

it didn't even bring anything new to the table. same old power ups same old rules i was disappointed to say the least but of curse its not pleasant to lose ones job so i hope they get back on there feet at some point in the future.

hansari

May 31, 2009
What a waste of potential...a racing game?

Some Activision executive probably opened up their portfolio and discovered it was the only thing they were really lacking...without making the realization that racing games aren't in high demand and that those who do purchase them have already sworn their loyalties to age old ip's.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
But what will happen to the Geometry Wars franchise?
I hope they will port Geometry Wars 2 to Steam and survive by having a ridiculous sale.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
No! I'm sorry! I really am going to get Blur! I just don't have any money! I'll get around to it! Activision didn't even advertise the fucking thing decently anyway! I'm really sorry! It's not my fault! Don't go! DON'T GO!!!!