Stolen Pixels #9: A Server Is a Way of Life

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #9: A Server Is a Way of Life

If you really want to know what someone's like, explains Shamus Young in this edition of Stolen Pixels, you need look no further than their chosen World of Warcraft server.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Yeah. I actually have some more WoW strips, but I think we need to give them a break for a bit.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Hehe... don't worry, WoW can take a lot of stabs... it's so crappy it just calls for it :D .

That said RP is a big problem no matter if in-game, chats, forums or any other places people can gather. It has nothing in common with DnD or the original pen and paper stuff and resembles more a reunion of bored undergraduates trying be funny... while failing at it completely.

And yeah... MMO-RPG is a sort of miscarriage in game development. RPG is okay if played single player... could also be fun if played CoOp but if you let thousands of chimpanzees ( to use your wording in this case ) loose on each other it's not bearable anymore. Kinda interested to see if MMORPGs eventually get mature and turn into something playable... but maybe I have my hopes to high there.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
I bashed the living piss out of people who RPed on my non-RP PvP servers. Cause I'm a jerk and bully. note "bashed". I quit. Taunting people is only fun for so long.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
My Druid is on an RP server (since that's where my friends rolled), and ... well, not a lot of RP goes on either way. I actually sort of respect the people who I see making an effort to keep RP up when a lot of people don't.

RP-PvP is just ... interesting.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
My Druid is on an RP server (since that's where my friends rolled), and ... well, not a lot of RP goes on either way. I actually sort of respect the people who I see making an effort to keep RP up when a lot of people don't.

RP-PvP is just ... interesting.
Really? I rolled on an rp server because my friends all rolled there as well but I hate anyone and everyone who rps there...mainly the entire population of Goldshire alliance side. I can just stand in Goldshire for 5 minutes and max out my ignore list.

Feb 13, 2008
Hrrrrm...I'm gonna come in hard on the side of RP now.

What is the problem between PVP and RP? Granted one works on speed and the other on deliberate movement; but hey, people have to learn somewhere and we all started with teenage angst.

I'm mildly miffed that people think that saying "Forsooth" (Which we only tend to do if we're mocking ourselves) is SO much more terrible than tea-bagging someone 49 levels below them.

Seriously, less of the RP hate. It's not needed; and to nab a cliche, if it wasn't for RP, there wouldn't be a MMORPG.

It's getting harder and harder to find a place where you can actually RP online without being taken as a some no-life retard.

Desyphur

Jul 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=6.67614.609152 said:
Hrrrrm...I'm gonna come in hard on the side of RP now.

What is the problem between PVP and RP? Granted one works on speed and the other on deliberate movement; but hey, people have to learn somewhere and we all started with teenage angst.

I'm mildly miffed that people think that saying "Forsooth" (Which we only tend to do if we're mocking ourselves) is SO much more terrible than tea-bagging someone 49 levels below them.

Seriously, less of the RP hate. It's not needed; and to nab a cliche, if it wasn't for RP, there wouldn't be a MMORPG.

It's getting harder and harder to find a place where you can actually RP online without being taken as a some no-life retard.
^I agree with this post^

I roleplay quite a bit on Sentinels, there's a nice amount of RP there, and really, not many assholes.

I gotta say, why do people always over exaggerate RP? We don't all speak in old english. Infact, we laugh at the ones who do ;)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Once again we've managed to isolate exactly why I don't play MMO's aside from the fact that I refuse to pay a monthly fee to play a game AFTER I've already purchased it.