Judge Dredd Creator Gives Thumbs Up to New Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Judge Dredd Creator Gives Thumbs Up to New Movie

Things are looking pretty good for the new Judge Dredd movie, as the character's creator praises everything from the set design to the script.

The first attempt to bring Judge Dredd [http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Sylvester-Stallone/dp/1558908846/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295531442&sr=8-1] - the ultra-violent lawmen from the 200AD comics - to the big screen, back in 1995, was a critical and commercial flop. But the second attempt - simply titled, Dredd - seems to be hitting all the right notes, as it's got the stamp of approval from the original Judge Dredd writer, John Wagner.

Following a visit to the Dredd set in South Africa, Wagner expressed admiration for the design of the Mega City One sets and said that the whole crew seemed really dedicated to making an excellent movie. He was impressed by the performances of Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby - who play Judge Dredd and Dredd's telepathic partner, Judge Anderson, respectively - adding that Urban had managed to capture a lot of Dredd's mannerisms and looks from the comic, including his trademark scowl.

Perhaps most importantly, he also gave the script his blessing. He said that he had originally disagreed with the direction that screenwriter Alex Garland - who also wrote 28 Days Later [http://www.amazon.com/Days-Later-Widescreen-Cillian-Murphy/dp/B00005JMA8/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1295531475&sr=1-2] and helped write Enslaved: Journey to the West [http://www.amazon.com/Enslaved-Odyssey-West-Playstation-3/dp/B00319DX4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295531509&sr=8-1] - had taken the story but had since come around to Garland's way of thinking.

"Alex Garland and I have had our disagreements," he said. "But he has usually had a convincing argument for doing things his way. On the main issue, concentrating the plot on a slice of life rather than trying to convey the whole sweep of Dredd and Mega-City life, I now see that he's right. It was one of the flaws of the first movie, they tried to do too much."

Dredd is expected to hit theaters around December this year.

Source: SFX [http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/01/19/john-wagner-visits-the-dredd-set/] via Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/01/judge-dredd-creator-admit.php]

hansari

May 31, 2009

I honestly don't know if Dredd can be redeemed...the first movie was so dumb.

I guess they did make Batman into something respectable

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Wow... I thought this was just being talked about, didn't know they'd started shooting.

Anyway, I liked the first film. Sure it's not perfect, but visually it was extremely accurate, and I even liked Stallone's performance.

Karl Urban just makes me think of the Doom movie. That's not good...

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
Needs more Rob Schnieder!

really though, I won't hold my breath, but I'll admit it has potential...

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
My favorite comic hero?

Could this be the jump up for him?

Please... Please, god, make this movie stand with the Watchmen, Dark Knight and Iron Man. Pleeeeaaasseee....

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Judge Dredd is pretty much the sole reason for my new gamertag a few months back (JudgementReaper) but apart from that i loved the movie to bits from the actors to the "i am the law!" phrase it was just an awesome movie no matter which way i look back on it.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
I don't care what anybody says. The last movie blew harder than a school of blowfish listening to Hootie and the Blowfish while blowing up balloons on a very windy day. 90% of real Dredd fans will agree and the other 10% need tin foil hats. When I heard Urban was involved my hopes started getting high. And this is high praise From John Wagner. If he says it's looking good then it's looking good. Role on December.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Karl Urban is an excellent choice. He also looks just like John Marsden: in case they ever make an RDR movie... which I hope they don't. The GTA movie (Crank) was enough.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
1. It pleases me to no end to see that others actually appreciated the first Dredd.

2. It pleases me to no end to see that others actually kept working to adapt Dredd.

Somewhere, Rob Schneider must be sobbing onto the shoulder of the Bermuda shirt made of Benjamin's Adam Sandler happens to be wearing this morning, his muffled cries of, "They didn't even ASK me," barely audible through the layers of crisp cash and celebrity entitlement.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Rationalization said:
I am the law.

I don't care if it flopped, I loved that movie.
Edit3: *video snip*
bulldogftw said:
I just have to say it "I am the law".
NINJAS! GWAAAAAAAAH!!! "I knew you'd say that!".

OT: The first movie was pretty bad, but fun to watch with all the corniness. But since this one got the thumbs up from the creator, I might actually go see this movie.

Just so long as they don't have Rob Schnieder. I do not like Rob Schnieder. Not one bit.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sixcess said:
Wow... I thought this was just being talked about, didn't know they'd started shooting.

Anyway, I liked the first film. Sure it's not perfect, but visually it was extremely accurate, and I even liked Stallone's performance.

Karl Urban just makes me think of the Doom movie. That's not good...
Then try to think about Eomer or Bones Mccoy, much better Karl Urban roles.