Real-Life New Vegas Ranger Armor is Totally Post-Nuclear Chic

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Real-Life New Vegas Ranger Armor is Totally Post-Nuclear Chic

The NCR Ranger on the cover of Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295547481&sr=8-3] is the baddest-looking dude in videogames and if you want to look just like him, "aspiring prop designer" Jai Norman is here to show you how.

Halloween is a long way off but if you're looking to dress up as your favorite New California Republic tough guy, you might want to get going on it now. It took Norman, who seems to have some idea what he's doing, more than a month to put this thing together, after all. But the final result clearly demonstrates that it was time well spent.

The level of detail that's gone into this outfit is just fantastic. From the battle-scarred pre-war LAPD riot armor to the holes torn into the shoulder of the duster and even the kill marks on the helmet, it's an incredibly accurate recreation of the imposing NCR ranger on the cover of New Vegas. The only significant difference is the number on the helmet; Norman said he's a fan of the original Fallout [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Bundle-Jewel-Case-Pc/dp/B00004ZBSX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295547607&sr=8-2] games and thus made a point of putting the number 13 on his headgear.

My favorite part of the build, oddly enough, is actually a supporting prop off-handedly wedged into the middle of the process: a Replica Prop Forum [http://www.therpf.com/f24/fallout-new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-finished-pg-8-a-101257/index4.html#post1472525]. Good luck - I think you might need it.

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5738477/dress-like-you-mean-to-survive-a-post+apocalyptic-wasteland/gallery/]

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Quite possibly one of the most badass costumes I've ever seen. And I like how he referenced the original Fallout.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
o that is a spectacular piece. The attention to detail is fantastic. and that it doesnt look "plastic" at the end is just swell.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
To be fair: The Angle and the lightning in the picture are very benevolent, because you can'T see stuff properly. In Addition the Armor is fairly easy on the eye: A metal helm, a gas mask and a trench coat.

Surely an impressive piece of cosplay, but nothing more if you ask me.
Call me in when he built a full enclave-power-armor, rotating fen included. Then I will be impressed.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Whoa.. that looks quite... Epic

Id love to see some Aurelius of Phoenix Armor or even the Space Suit from REPCONN...
[small] should that have been in spoilers?? 0.0[/small]

But if anything I kinda Want a New California Republic Flag ^____^

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That picture you provided was kinda meh but I was blown away by the pictures I found on that forum.

Pretty good work right there.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The photo was a tough call. It doesn't show off the full outfit in all its glory but I really like the pose and lighting. Artistically speaking, I think it's the best of the bunch, so I went with it.

Here's the suit in far better detail, for those who don't want to hit the link and dig through the entire thread:

Apparently it's not quite done yet; Norman's had it out on the town but said there's still a little bit of tweaking and detail work he wants to take care of.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
CannibalRobots said:
The Shoulders need a little more support, to keep shape, the helmet is a little high and the angle of the goggles is a tiny tiny bit wonky, otherwise its very very very very very good.
Those are pretty microscopic nits, dude. I'll grant you the shoulder thing, it'd be easy enough to pad those out to give it a more hulking look, but I think the helmet is pretty much dead-on.