Rage Demo Unlikely, Says Bethesda

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rage Demo Unlikely, Says Bethesda

Technical issues make releasing a demo difficult, says the publisher's head of marketing.

Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Xbox-360/dp/B00354NAYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295551795&sr=8-1] - the post-apocalyptic shooter from Doom and Quake creators, id Software - is coming in September, but if you were hoping that you might be able to try it out before you shelled out sixty bucks, then you're probably in for some disappointment.

Bethesda acquired the rights to publish Rage from EA in December 2009, a few months after it purchased id itself, and according the company's PR boss, Pete Hines, a demo is unlikely. Hines said that Bethesda looked at each every game it published to determine whether a demo was possible and appropriate, and had determined that technical issues meant that it probably wouldn't be feasible for Rage. "I guess it's not a zero percent chance," he said. "But it's somewhere down on that end of the spectrum."

Back in 2009, id CEO Todd Hollenshead said that a demo could happen, but that nothing was set in stone, because at that point it wasn't clear what the development cycle would be like. Even at that early juncture, however, he was able to say that an open beta for the game's multiplayer was unlikely.

Obviously, this is quite disappointing, but there are already a lot of videos and previews for the game floating around, not to mention the iPhone rail shooter that came out last year. Rage may suffer a little, due to being a new IP, but a demo is only a small part of how a publisher gets people excited about a game.

Rage comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on September 13th.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/20/bethesda-i-dont-see-a-demo-for-rage-on-the-cards/]

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
I feel like that's kinda suspicious. Why not release a demo?

Unfortunately Bethesda spurs a bad taste in my mouth with a catalog of bugs in their games and even though Rage is being developed by id software, it makes one wonder.

I suppose I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Visulth said:

Unfortunately Bethesda spurs a bad taste in my mouth with a catalog of bugs in their games
Don't you kinda feel like those two statements clash with each other? No, demo? Might be a crap game. What's with all these damn bugs, that demo was better. Where would you like their time spent?

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
I already played Borderlands, so without a demo to convince me that this isn't just a prettier knockoff, no thanks.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Aww...Oh, well.

The id name doesn't have the same effect as it used to, so a demo would be nice.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sorry, that demo will be the make-or-break for me. If I can't get one, then you can't get my money.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
GamesB2 said:
megs1120 said:
I already played Borderlands, so without a demo to convince me that this isn't just a prettier knockoff, no thanks.
Id software is all the convincing I need.
Really? They haven't made a good game since Quake.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
After watching the latest Extra Credits...
I'm gonna go spam their inbox.
Something I think they should have added in that video, be nice in the emails. If they get a ton of douche emails, it won't help anything.

Personally, I've been excited about this game since 2007, then I see it has a $60 price tag on PC. I'm not buying it unless they can, in some way, justify the price increase for the PC version.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I really needed a demo for this.
Could they at least put out a 1 minute benchmark for the PC? Half the reason I get demos on the PC is just to see how it will run.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'm looking forward to this... but a demo would make it a dead cert and not just a "maybe".
Unless it was a terrible demo, of course.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
Something I think they should have added in that video, be nice in the emails. If they get a ton of douche emails, it won't help anything.

Personally, I've been excited about this game since 2007, then I see it has a $60 price tag on PC. I'm not buying it unless they can, in some way, justify the price increase for the PC version.
Look at my avatar. Do you really think I'm going to be mean to Bethesda?

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Rationalization said:
Visulth said:

Unfortunately Bethesda spurs a bad taste in my mouth with a catalog of bugs in their games
Don't you kinda feel like those two statements clash with each other? No, demo? Might be a crap game. What's with all these damn bugs, that demo was better. Where would you like their time spent?
I have no idea as to the inner workings of releasing a demo. Maybe you're right--it takes extra work to finalize a demo which could be better spent on the game.

Then again it reminds me slightly of movies that aren't pre-screened for critics in fear of bad reviews.

Jul 22, 2009
megs1120 said:
Really? They haven't made a good game since Quake.
They've hardly made any games since Quake 3.

I'll generally disregard Doom 3, it wasn't terrible but I'd much rather play Doom 1 or 2 any day.

I have a lot of confidence in Id, I recently bought Wolfenstien 3D, Doom 1, Doom 2 and Quake Live from XBLA. I love them all.

I trust them with a new IP, especially something as expansive as this.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
Assassin Xaero said:
PurpleLeafRave said:

Look at my avatar. Do you really think I'm going to be mean to Bethesda?
That wasn't really directed at you, was just saying for anyone else that may read it... but, anyway, good luck with that. Bethesda can't seem to get their contact system working.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Visulth said:
I have no idea as to the inner workings of releasing a demo. Maybe you're right--it takes extra work to finalize a demo which could be better spent on the game.

Then again it reminds me slightly of movies that aren't pre-screened for critics in fear of bad reviews.
I personally never play demo's unless I know I'm gonna love a game and want a little taste and I see where the demo is. I go off company reputation, gameplay videos, reviews, not the numbers but what the complaints are if there are any and base my purchase off that. If I'm not sure on a game I won't buy it for a while and then hit the forums and see what the community at large is saying.

You got these companies talking about metacritic numbers, they give review sites/magazines the full game before it's released in stores, I honestly doubt they wouldn't release a demo because of fear of critic response. They probably already know that if a game is blasted by the pre-release reviews for being bad, it's not gonna sell as well anyway.

I also do not know the innerworkings of making a demo, but I'm sure that any time making one is time spent away from polishing/bug fixing the actual game.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
PurpleLeafRave said:

Mod tools? John Carmack's magic tricks? Prettier graphics? 4 weapons instead of 2?