G-Man Releases Final Version of Beyond Black Mesa

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
G-Man Releases Final Version of Beyond Black Mesa

The long-awaited Half-Life fan film Beyond Black Mesa is finished and available to view right now.

The Half-Life [http://beyondblackmesa.com/?page_id=17] fan film Beyond Black Mesa are finally done. Beyond Black Mesa was released to YouTube this week, so press play and check it out.

The film has been 2 years in the making, with a total budget of just $1,200. Beyond Black Mesa isn't based on a particular Half-Life game, but is set in the Half-Life universe. It follows Adrian Shephard in the events that happen after his appearance in expansion pack Half-Life: Opposing Force [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Expansion-Pack-Opposing-Force-Pc/dp/B00002CF96/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288976797&sr=1-1]. The non-official events, anyway.

5 years after the disaster at the Black Mesa facility, Shephard is on the run. He and a couple of other survivors make their way through some of Half-Life's environments that are scattered with nods to the game such as health packs and various symbols. With all of the explosions, special effects, and accurate Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES] soldier costumes, this doesn't look like a film made for $1,200.

Beyond Black Mesa features plenty of gunplay and a couple of fight sequences, though one might get a little too ninja-ey for my taste. Altogether, it's an amazing piece of work, and I actually found myself wanting more once it was over. A film of this quality with such attention to detail deserves to be longer than 12 minutes. Someday, perhaps.

Source: Beyond Black Mesa [http://beyondblackmesa.com/]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Very good for a fan film but for fucks sake! What's with the bloody zombie, Half-life 'Zombies' are not pathological creatures but rather a puppet via the head-crabs.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Looks like adobe after effects or something. I was impressed by the strider though.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
it looks very promising, althought it's not kinda like "escape from city 17" i really dig the idea that the Opposing Force guy is back ! and reactivated maybe by the G man ?

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Very impressive blend of real footage and in-game assets, the fights were awesome too.

Hopefully Valve, or at least someone, picks up on their talents and offers them a job.

JohnReaper

Jun 8, 2009
SHEPARD!!!! *He yells*

ot: very good, too bad *spoiler* happens... I personally liked Shepard over Freeman.....Now with that bit of Flame fuel i'll explain why, Shepard while still trained military, Fought against the military in half life, and once he found out what the real plan was, i rember him shooting shit.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I will watch it at some point, but I fuckin' hate how every vision of the Seven Hour War seems to show the Combine invading using the soldiers you fight in Half Life 2. Those soldiers are enslaved humans. How can they be invading with them?

Eh, then again, maybe it doesn't take place during the invasion. I'll watch it when I get the chance and find out.

TheDoomPenguin

Mar 25, 2010
It was well made, but the wrist computer and the melee fighting really did not fit the tone of the Half-Life series. I think it personally would've been better if they had made their own universe instead of using a pre-existing one. Basically, as an amateur sci-fi short? 9/10. As a Half-Life fan film? 6/10.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It wasn't bad at all, especially considering the exceptionally low budget. Amateur filmmaking is definitely catching up with the big names.

ZeroMachine said:
I will watch it at some point, but I fuckin' hate how every vision of the Seven Hour War seems to show the Combine invading using the soldiers you fight in Half Life 2. Those soldiers are enslaved humans. How can they be invading with them?

Eh, then again, maybe it doesn't take place during the invasion. I'll watch it when I get the chance and find out.
Takes place five years after, hoss.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
It was ok, though I still liked Escape from City 17 much more. There were several little things that bugged me in this one. That and I liked the characters more in C17, they might have not been the most convincing, but I was at least able to get more attached to them.