Fan Japanifies Super Meat Boy in 3D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Fan Japanifies Super Meat Boy in 3D

Super Meat Boy was crazy enough before a fan gave him a buzzsaw eyepatch and put him on the streets of a futuristic city.

If you've ever seen the opening credits of an action-based anime, you'd know that they tend to have a rocking soundtrack combined with characters from the show doing all sorts of crazy things. If Team Meat's Super Meat Boy [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Super-Meat-Boy/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a5a] were to get its own anime series, a fan has created the perfect opening in the same style using 3D animation.

22-year-old Joseph Manalaysay put together a short video he calls Bandage Get!!! that is an absolutely kick-ass take on Super Meat Boy. Manalaysay's version of Meat Boy is a cross between Solid Snake and Team Meat's cube, giving him a buzzsaw eyepatch and a detailed set of metal bracers.

Solid Meat is animated hopping his ass off in what could be the buildings of a futuristic Tokyo. As he narrowly avoids danger with ease, splashing blood all over everything just like in the game, Solid Meat comes up against a boss and, of course, ignores him to collect a bandage. It's totally worth the trouble.

Bandages are a collectible in Super Meat Boy that unlock secret characters. Manalaysay's video captures the feeling of Super Meat Boy's levels, which often require a tough sacrifice to collect them, and is just so slick I can't express it in words. Now we need Manalaysay to create a full series that gives Meat Boy a gravely voice and a look at his home life.

Source: Team Meat [http://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That... brought a tear to my eye... it's just... too awesome for words to describe...

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Romidude said:
Was awesome, except for that music.
Music was fine, the camera that never stands still made me sick about 1/4 of the way through.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Joseph Manalaysay put together a three minute video
Erm... It's only one minute and twenty four seconds, unless there's another video that's different from the one in the article.

But anyway, the one in the article is pretty sweet. I would have liked to see him actually leave the blood/meat trail behind as he went though. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
while it looked good i'd have expected to have more failures incorporated since that's what happens to me if i play meat boy :p

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
This is awesome, but yeah, could have been better if there were loads of meat boys replays and he got a leg up from them and stuff.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
It was pretty cool I guess but the choice of music was just.... Really? I get the idea of moving the concept of SMB to 3-D kind of requires a sound upgrade but the soundtrack in the game is sick and that was just terrible.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Meat boy looked quite ugly to be honest, plus some of the jumps looked a bit unnatural. Also the original music is too good.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Xzi said:
ciortas1 said:
Terrible animation. This looks just so bad...
You expect one guy to make a Pixar-like short film? That's taking graphic whoring to the EXTREME.
I don't think he was asking for that at all. The animation in that video is competent, but completely robotic (and his camera work is mediocre at best). Another few hours of polish could have made SMB feel more floaty and bouncy, rather than clearly following stiff, pre-defined trajectories.

I'm not asking for Pixar level animation here, but I am asking for some polishing.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Xzi said:
ciortas1 said:
Terrible animation. This looks just so bad...
You expect one guy to make a Pixar-like short film? That's taking graphic whoring to the EXTREME.
Still, the animation is very poor, trust me. The character animation isnt even hard to make since he is only a cube with small legs and arms.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
I don't think he was asking for that at all. The animation in that video is competent, but completely robotic (and his camera work is mediocre at best). Another few hours of polish could have made SMB feel more floaty and bouncy, rather than clearly following stiff, pre-defined trajectories.

I'm not asking for Pixar level animation here, but I am asking for some polishing.
Pretty much my thoughts. Just want some polish. It was a fairly fun animation though, but nothing too amazing about it, dunno why Meat Boy was suddenly all grizzly and manly... that was kinda creepy...