DC Universe Online Sony's Fastest Selling MMO Ever

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DC Universe Online Sony's Fastest Selling MMO Ever

The MMO selling power of the DC Comics roster has been proven in just a couple of weeks.

Early reports coming out of Sony Online Entertainment indicate that DC Universe Online [http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Online-Standard-Pc/dp/B002I0HHFG] was a strong bet for the company. The DC Comics MMO is the fastest selling game released by SOE to date.

This doesn't mean it's the biggest selling, and still has a ways to go to unseat previous SOE titles such as Star Wars: Galaxies [http://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Platinum-Pack-Pc/dp/B0002GS4XC/ref=sr_1_8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295884486&sr=1-8] in that department, but its first two weeks of sales have apparently gone well. SOE president John Smedley recently tweeted: "Working on out-of-stock problems for DCUO. It's out fastest selling game ever. Should have more inventory in Monday."

He later corrected "out" to "our," blaming his phone. Smedley also revealed that DC Universe Online was #1 in sales on Steam last week, showing that the game is finding an audience both at retail and through digital distribution.

DC Universe Online was released on January 11 and is evidently catching on with both MMO and comic book fans that want to live out their dreams of becoming Batman's sidekick and chit-chatting with Superman. The game takes players into cities like Gotham and Metropolis where they hob-nob with these DC heroes while creating a mythos of their own. You still have to kill "X" of this and collect "X" of that, but hey, at least you get report back to the Man of Steel this time.

SOE chose to bring the MMO to both the PC and PlayStation 3, which Smedley reveals has been a major boon. The console crowd are buying more copies of the game than PC players, with a sales split of 52% on PS3 and 48% on PC. Now we wait to see if DC Universe Online has legs past one month, which is the typical drop-off period for MMO players that get sick of a new title and go back to playing more World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Pc/dp/B002I0HKIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295885888&sr=8-1], and when some of those new console MMO players will realize their free month is over.

Source: Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/j_smedley]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I think DC Universe Online may have a chance, unlike a lot of MMOs simply because its not apeing WoW. And have Batman doesnt hurt either.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
It may be selling well, but I still can't find a copy on shelves over in Singapore. >.>

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
If they can get a trial version out on the market, maybe it will bring the sales to even more hights when the people on the fence get to try it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
therandombear said:
If they can get a trial version out on the market, maybe it will bring the sales to even more hights when the people on the fence get to try it.
I just hope they eventually make it free to play. It looks cool but I'm not paying a monthly fee for it. I'll buy the disc and even some microtransactions for additional stuff/places, but if I'm going to play a game with a monthly fee, it's going to be something crazy like Eve. But even that I'm not likely to get... console gaming hasn't gotten that bad yet.

I know with that one you can put your subscription on hold and not pay/play without losing your assets, does this do the same. It's been a while since I tried a pay-for mmo, do they all do that now? They should.

That is surprising. PS3 owners are used to NOT having to pay monthly fees for their games. I really didn't think this would do well on the ps3. Then again, we will have to wait and see how long people subscribe for.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
The console crowd are buying more copies of the game than PC players, with a sales split of 52% on PS3 and 48% on PC.
The game's UI doesn't make sense with the Keyboard and Mouse thats y >.<

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
therandombear said:
This. I want to play it but I don't want to buy it if I can't guarantee I'll like it.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Well it's a good game, glad it's selling. A friend of mine talked me into getting it, and other than some issues with not informing the player on things they need to know and a lack of customization compared to the likes of Champions Online, it's incredibly well made for an MMO. Hopefully it keeps growing.

It could really use a trial version though. I bet a lot of people are on the fence about shelling out their cash for a chance at a quality game.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Too many of my friends are dropping this after one month for me to pick this up.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I've already cancelled my subscription. Its a decent game, but not something I've willing to pay monthly to enjoy. Back to WoW I go.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This game is really good. It's not like WoW at all, so this should appeal to a lot of people. The interface certainly can use some work, that's for sure. I gotta say, this monthly fee stuff would be a lot easier if they would release game time cards for it. I don't allow anyone to automatically debit my card for any reason at all. I don't even let my gym do it. So, I bought a three month subscription for the discounted rate and we'll see what happens. I know it's a lot better than Star Wars Galaxies, and I am a huge fanboy.

I make time for this game and I even still play some WoW. Two different experiences that should not be compared to each other.

The lead designer outright said it wasn't trying to appeal to the same crowd. They can have my money for their quality product. It helps I got the game as a gift though, that's for sure.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
therandombear said:
internet ate my post.
It does that with alarming frequency. Someone needs to feed it a couple trolls before it starts eating posters. :p
FinalDream said:
Too many of my friends are dropping this after one month for me to pick this up.
Yeah, that was my first question on seeing this. I mean, high sales are fantastic, but if your retention isn't there... what's the point?

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
DCUO deserves it. One of the most fun MMO's I've ever played. It's just a compilation of good ideas and I can't wait for it to improve in the future. Definitely worth the monthly fee.

I'm surprised the split wasn't wider. It's an action MMO, so of course it's better played on a console. My guess is monthly fees for a console game...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Wow I have no idea how this sold at all. Most themed MMOs looked gimicky to me, even though the intro done by another company looked cool that wasn't going to make the game any better.

Then again I'm not a fan of DC or MMOs so what do I know