Dead Space 2 "Hardcore Mode" is Hardcore

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space 2 "Hardcore Mode" is Hardcore

Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Collectors-Pc/dp/B0047O7XUK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1295904707&sr=8-6] will include an unlockable "Hardcore mode" that throws players into the action at the highest difficulty level with only three saves for the entire game.

Hardcore mode [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295904878&sr=1-2]" that tweaks gameplay to make it more challenging for experienced gamers who want a taste of some good old-fashioned RPG toughness. But in spite of pre-release promises, it really doesn't add much in the way of difficulty beyond the need to carry around a few doctor's bags. But don't expect such a gentle touch from the Hardcore mode in Dead Space 2. It's vicious, and it will make you suffer.

"When we were thinking about what would be the ultimate difficulty mode, we were kicking around a lot of ideas," Creative Director Wright Bagwell told MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/01/24/dead-space-2-hard-core-mode/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29]. "What we found was that it wasn't really fun to continue to make the game harder by giving the enemies more hit points or giving you less bullets. It just crossed that line into frustration, and the combat doesn't really feel good when you jack up the enemy hit points... it makes the game feel crappy."

Instead, the team came up with Hardcore. Simply put, it's the game's highest difficulty level, with one diabolical twist: no checkpoints and only three saves for the whole thing.

"One of the things that's really comforting in a game is the ability to save," he explained. "When you get to some place and you're like, 'Ahhhhh, save station, everything is okay.' We thought, if that's the one thing that makes players feel all warm and fuzzy and safe, then let's take it away from them. That's where the idea came from."

Naturally, anyone who finishes the game in Hardcore mode will get a special Achievement or Trophy, but there's more than just that at stake. "There's some really, really cool unlock if you manage to beat [Hard Core mode]," he added. What could it be? You'll find out soon enough, if you're hardcore enough - Dead Space 2 comes out on January 25 (today, that's tomorrow) for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Making a game harder for a hardcore mode is one thing. Perhaps Permadeath, or something. Fewer saves means they expect you to be able to play the game in three sittings- which does not bode well for the game's length.
Why not go Resident Evil on us and use ink ribbons, or penalise multiple saves?

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
That sounds interesting. Hell...I would ONLY play that mode. It's almost, ALMOST, like making it an old school NES title. The "Saves" are kind of like lives.

Eh its kind of similar, and I like it!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
When Yahtzee plays this now he has another reason to hate it, he'll say its "Cheap" even though it clearly says "Hardcore mode"

Ill play that mode after I beat it without it.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
This 'really cool unlock' that you get for beating hardcore will most likely be something reasonably disappointing like an avatar accessory. If you unlocked some extra game mode or cinematic then maybe I'd be interested.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
well, Enemy Zero on the Sega Saturn did have limited saves, and it was a pretty hard game on it's own, in my opinion, it's way hardcore than what this could be*

but then again, I gotta play this first

*sorry, it's the scars of my youth talking

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
what is it with new games and hardcore? I know its bragging rights, but for this 3 and only 3 saves? You would have to plan out your playtime to make sure that you would be playing for more than 2-3 hours at once so that you don't waste a save, and if its a long game then 3 saves would really suck.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I played the demo a couple hours ago and died a couple times. On normal. Granted I didn't have any Knowledge of what was around the next corner, but still.

Hardcore.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I was a fan on the new vegas hardcore mode, but I simply don't think I could handle this. Have to see once I find out how long the game is.

Shame it has to be unlocked, as I think going into a game with the "hardcore mode" on the first time you play makes it a more memorable experience.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Erana said:
Fewer saves means they expect you to be able to play the game in three sittings
Yeah I thought this to. It's either going to be really short or hardcore mode is expecting a lot

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Beat14 said:
I was a fan on the new vegas hardcore mode, but I simply don't think I could handle this. Have to see once I find out how long the game is.

Shame it has to be unlocked, as I think going into a game with the "hardcore mode" on the first time you play makes it a more memorable experience.
This. I hate having to play through the game one time just to unlock the hardest mode.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hmm not bad! Although I think I'd prefer if it was like, you can only DIE 3 times but save whenever as per usual.

Still, not bad.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Hmm... I like it.

While I don't really care for Dead Space (I won't be buying this game), I like this idea. Making a hardcore mode REALLY hardcore like this is a great idea.

Games have definitely been getting easier since saves became commonplace, and this is a great way to remind people just how HARD games used to be.

I approve.

TheMetalGuy

Jun 23, 2010
I tried it and the hardcore sounds freaking imposiible to me =X
Since the demo is tough enough on normal