ReCape: "Scales"

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
ReCape: "Scales"

Any show in which an ice cream cake melts is automatically a disaster in my book.

Read Full Article

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
well. it pleases the simpletons (approximately more than 50% of TV viewing Americans, which explains the longevity of the Simpsons and Family Guy), so no amount of bad reviews (no matter how well written) is going to get this show canceled.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Toasty Virus said:
I want to watch this so badly, anyway to get it over here in good old Britannia?
O god how you will be so disappointed. This show tries to hard.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
ReCape: Scales

Any show in which an ice cream cake melts is automatically a disaster in my book.

Read Full Article
We get it miss Grunewald, you don't like the show. Some of us don't mind it either way, I don't really get the point of these articles, your basically explaining the episode minute by minute to us, when anyone who gives a crap about it one way or another has already watched it.

Summarize the episodes better, touch on the points you want to, but don't make as wad through 4 pages of something we've already watched just to see what you thought of the episode.
Think about it this way, anyone who has watched it is just reading it for the opinions, anyone who hasn't watched it and wants to, won't read it because they want to watch it.

Sorry for being critical.

EDIT: I really can't leave my post like that, truth is I love your articles, cause it feels like something I'd write about myself, you really do bring a lot of feel of geeky culture into your articles, I'm just not feeling these recape ones.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
ReCape: Scales

Read Full Article
"The star that burns twice as bright burns half as long." The show seems to have no idea what this means. But really, I'm starting to wonder why that is.

Originally, I thought it was just the staff trying desperately to show how much potential the show's story could have, so they were showing off every card in their hand right from the start. Still a bad move, but it's understandable.

Now, though? I think it's a lack of creativity. They have an interesting concept, they've populated it with a few stock characters, and they've even set up some interesting long-term conflicts (ripped straight from other comics)... but they have no idea how to flesh it out. The problem isn't that they're rushing the pacing. It's that they don't know how not to.

All of the characters are just too naked about their motivations--even the ones that are supposed to be secret. They might as well have characters outright saying things like, "I am very conflicted about this, and that causes me to behave in an angry way!" or "I am the villain!" or "I am the villain's daughter!" Really, I haven't seen self-narration this blatant since Thundercats.

I thought it was a show that didn't trust its producers. Turns out it's a show that doesn't trust its audience. Far worse.

And I stand by my previous statement: Glau's character will be the weight that sinks this ship. Bless her heart, she turns in decent work, but she's the show's trophy wife, and she's the victim of bad writing. Again (ahem Sarah Connor Chronicles...)

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Chess meant he wished he was not as smart as he thought he was (or is for that matter) because it ruins the "fun" in life for him. If he was less smart he would have more of a challenge basically which is something he craves or at least believes he craves.

The show is in many ways an epic failure but I stick by my statement that it is at least another super hero show. It is not, in my opinion, nearly as bad as "No Ordinary Family" which I have continued to watch. It's certainly no replacement for Smallville (I'm going to be very sad when that shows ends in the near future)or Heroes but it is at least another superhero show that doesn't revolve around teenage girls and boys dating and family dynamics.

I keep thinking "this show is going to have to get better soon" and then it doesn't. I think sadly that the basic tone of the show, and the intelligence level of the audience it is created for are already set. It's mindless entertainment at most, and even disapointing in many ways even judged only as that.....but at least it's mindless entertainment in a genre I actually enjoy. In my house I'm the only person that likes superhero or science fiction shows....so I watch way to many drama's, court shows, cooking shows etc. I'll take even something like The Cape if that is all I have available. If they cancel the show I highly doubt they will replace it with something better.