Hobbit Movies Delayed Again as Director Is Hospitalized

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hobbit Movies Delayed Again as Director Is Hospitalized

Peter Jackson will still direct the movies, but they won't start filming next month, as originally planned.

The start of filming on the Hobbit movies has been delayed once again to give Jackson time to recover from stomach surgery, following his admission to a Wellington, New Zealand, hospital with a perforated peptic ulcer.

If left untreated, a perforated peptic ulcer can have dire consequences. Thankfully, the surgery was a complete success and in a statement, a spokesperson for the director said that doctors expected him to make a complete recovery. The spokesperson added that apart from the slight delay, the surgery would not have any other impact on Jackson's commitment to the movie.

This new delay is just the most recent entry on a laundry list of problems that the production has faced, from legal battles with the Tolkien foundation, to financial problems at MGM, all the way up to labor disputes with the actors' unions. Filming was scheduled to start on the two-part story in February, but now it seems that March, or perhaps even later, is a more likely bet.

Source: Cinema Blend [http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Peter-Jackson-Hospitalized-Hobbit-Filming-Delayed-Again-22847.html?_r=true]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Peter Jackson needs to man up (bear with me, I'm about to sound like a massive stalker), Martin Freeman has to film both The Hobbit and Sherlock before summer, I want need him in both of these things, and if Peter Jackson can't just will himself better, well then he is just being selfish.

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
You know I'm getting the feeling this film is cursed, still its normally a good sign for films so when it does start it should be a great film. Hope he gets well soon.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Perhaps it's all for the best. This'll give them more time in which to hire some brown-skinned actors to play the Shire's Harfoot Hobbits.

standokan

May 28, 2009
NOOOOOO, if this movie gets any more delayed then its gonna come out after the maya apocalypse.

APLovecraft

Jan 13, 2010
i personally am not to bothered about this film, i was never a huge fan of the hobbit and IF a film does come out i'd probably see it if there was nothing else on

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
The Universe knows this film will be so good that it rips the fabric of time and space apart, so it therefore keeps trying to delay it.

...Or perhaps its just bad luck. I dunno.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Well, I'm less pissed off about the movie being delayed, than happy to see that Peter Jackson will be fine, and still direct the film. It just wouldn't be as good without him.

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
HankMan said:
God damit Peter! This film has enough trouble with logistics and legal disputes. We don't need to lose anymore time just because YOU can't take care of yourself. Seriously!
Ulcers can be caused by stress you know.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Knowing Peter, he'll do a good job no matter what. But I don't want this to be a quicksand pit of doom for my favorite series. The Hobbit was my favorite book in elementary school. :(

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Wait.... they haven't even started filming yet?

Get better soon Jackson!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
HankMan said:
Luftwaffles said:
HankMan said:
God damit Peter! This film has enough trouble with logistics and legal disputes. We don't need to lose anymore time just because YOU can't take care of yourself. Seriously!
Ulcers can be caused by stress you know.
I looked it up on Wikipedia. Perforated peptic ulcer is caused by smoking and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Besides look at the pic: you can't tell me he couldn't stand to lose a few dozen pounds
Wouldn't be surprised if he was charged double the price of a regular stomach operation. After all, it's like he's got two stomachs.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
HankMan said:
Besides look at the pic: you can't tell me he couldn't stand to lose a few dozen pounds
He did. By the time he finished the LOTR movies he was positively skinny:

http://www.bahianoticias.com.br/fotos/editor/Image/cinema/peter-jackson.jpg

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
How about they not milk the short book into two full movies and instead make one good one? If you can cram thousands of pages of LotR into three movies, you can make the few hundred pages of the Hobbit into one. That'll save time! :)

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Xocrates said:
HankMan said:
Besides look at the pic: you can't tell me he couldn't stand to lose a few dozen pounds
He did. By the time he finished the LOTR movies he was positively skinny:
That LAP-BAND® thing works wonders, don't it? That might be what's causing his "peptic ulcer."