Square Enix is Watching You Watch 3rd Birthday's Shower Scene

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix is Watching You Watch 3rd Birthday's Shower Scene

Japanese 3rd Birthday players that thought they were watching Aya Brea take a shower over and over in private, were wrong.

Square Enix's unofficial shower scene [http://www.amazon.com/Parasite-Eve-Playstation/dp/B000038ABO/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296242586&sr=1-1]. How does Square Enix know this? It's watching you.

Any 3rd Birthday player that links a Square Enix Members account to the game will have their statistics sent to Square. It's all typical stuff, like how many shots you've fired, your level of progress through the game, and... how much of a virtual perv you are. Square Enix decided to embarrass the game's Japanese fans by revealing the hours they've spent watching main character Aya Brea in the shower.

Square Enix actually made the shower scene a form of reward in the game, as it becomes available when completing certain conditions. Only the best 3rd Birthday players will be able to unlock an unlimited number of views. The scene was responsible for 3rd Birthday's elevated "CERO D" rating in Japan, which is equivalent to the ESRB's Mature rating.

The 3rd Birthday is expected to be released in North America sometime in March, and I think you all know exactly what not to do if you want your privacy protected. Not that there's anything wrong with watching an imaginary girl shower 80,000 times, but it's a little embarrassing to admit.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/28/3rd_birthday_shower_scene/]

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ha that's pretty good.
And it also seems like I need to get this game now... um just because it looks like a good game, yeah... that's the only reason.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ha ha ha ha ha! This is awesome! It's like Mass Effect 2, only better!

So just for fun, I clicked on the Parasite Eve link. Sent me to Amazon, where the game is going for $225. A lot of money. The funny part though is that, at the bottom, it says you can trade in Parasite Eve for a $5 Amazon.com credit. Who the hell would do that?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I thought that bioware shit was bad. But why did they bother limiting the number of times you can watch this? Is Japan not aware of youtube?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
What are the sales figures, to put this in perspective?
Apparently somewhere around 250,000 going by unofficial figures. But when you think about how many of those buyers actually have a Square Enix Members account, and how many of those went into the options to hook it up, 80,000 is still a pretty big number I would think.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
If this was 80,000 views from one person I would be amused and impressed. Assuming this game sold like hot cakes (Do they sell hot cakes in japan? Do they even sell Hot cakes in other parts of the world? What the hell is a hot cake?) its not very impressive or amusing :p

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
This shall not stand, I will not have my privacy violated in such a way . Now if you will excuse me I shall go watch the parasite eve 2 shower scene on the ps1. Aha try and count that, it doesn't even have internets *shakes fist*

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Hahah that's awesome, well played Squenix and good sense of perverted humor. I have no interest in the shower scene but it would be interesting to unlock it lol. I'm looking forward to this game even if the story has taken some comprises due to legal issues, the gameplay I've heard nothing but good things though.

One stupid thing I hope they change for the english version of the game is the unlock requirements for Lightnings costume. The easy way is being a Squenix member and linking to the site or something. The HARD way it beating the damn game 30 fucking times!! Seriously guys? 30 times!? The hell were you thinking? I'd need to be able to play the game 31 times just to enjoy that unlock >.<

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
It also has used copies starting at $15. Thats the thing about amazon their prices for ps1 games are all rediculously expensive for new copies but used are dirt cheap.
Makes sense. Used copies are far more common than new games once you're talking N64-era games.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
icyneesan said:
If this was 80,000 views from one person I would be amused and impressed. Assuming this game sold like hot cakes (Do they sell hot cakes in japan? Do they even sell Hot cakes in other parts of the world? What the hell is a hot cake?) its not very impressive or amusing :p
A hot cake is another name for pancakes.