Sony Releases New PS3 Update, Hackers Pounce on it Immediately

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Releases New PS3 Update, Hackers Pounce on it Immediately

The latest update seems to be holding off the hackers for now, with suggestions that it might take more than software to get around it.

Sony has released new firmware for the PS3 - version 3.56 - in an effort to patch the holes in the console's security. Reports suggest, however, that hackers have already jumped the first hurdle in creating a cracked version of the update, just hours after its release.

There are no claims of system tweaks or behind the scenes improvements in the update, and the patch notes make it clear that this is all about security. Unfortunately for Sony, it took hackers just a few hours to unpack the files, which will allow them to see what the update is doing, and how it is doing it. It's not all bad news though, as sources suggest that it's proving a touch more difficult for the hackers to get around the security update then they originally expected. Anyone currently running cracked firmware is being advised not to update, and there is even suggestions that it might take a "hardware solution" to beat the beefed-up security.

In the meantime, the update seems to be doing its job. Activision's social media guru, Dan Amrich, commented on Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/OneOfSwords/status/31072779096825857] that the update was making a lot of Call of Duty hackers very unhappy. This comes just days after Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling lamented [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106984-PS3-Hacks-Force-Infinity-Ward-to-Rethink-Game-Security] that there was nothing that IW could do about people cheating in CoD matches until Sony fixed its leaks.

Sadly, It seems very unlikely that this is the end of Sony's battle with hackers. Its legal victory [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107349-Sony-Wins-Restraining-Order-Against-Geohot] against George Hotz, the person responsible for releasing the PS3 root key and giving Sony a massive security headache, will do almost nothing to stop people trying to crack future updates. They might not use their hacks to try and score a job, like Hotz did, but that's probably the only real change we can expect.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/sony-releases-new-ps3-firmware-hackers-shrug-and-get-to-work.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss]

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Maybe Sony will eventually get sick of dealing with these people and simply drop the PS3 all together. That would certainly give the hackers pause for thought next time.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Now that people know for sure the PS3 can be hacked they wont give till its hacked again.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Maybe Sony will eventually get sick of dealing with these people and simply drop the PS3 all together. That would certainly give the hackers pause for thought next time.
It'd certainly give lots of regular gamers (by which I mean people who just want to do the normal things the system does without cracks or CFW) such as myself pause for thought next time too. Next time we go to buy a new Sony game platform, that is. "Are they going to support the platform this time, or are they going to quote Eric Cartman and say 'Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!' again? Maybe I shouldn't buy this." Same for publishers and investors, who will wonder if they should bother making any games for future Sony platforms as they won't want to get screwed if Sony decides to take its ball and go home again.

I certainly think Sony has been making mistakes left and right with this whole Install Other OS and handling of hackers business. But I can still play LittleBigPlanet 2 and a slew of other upcoming games this year because they're doing their best to fix the huge fuckups they made. But if all of a sudden they said "Fuck this, we're done, all new games are delayed indefinitely. No Killzone 3, Twisted Metal, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Uncharted 3, and so on for anyone until the PS4 is out!" Oh boy, I wonder what kind of fun new swear words I would come up with to describe how much I would hate them.

And I didn't even realize it until this article pointed it out, but the update came at about the same time the judge said GeoHot gets to turn over all his hacking stuff. I think that ruling sucked, but hey, at least it'll keep 3.56 a bit safer for a bit longer as one of the best crackers can't do a damn thing to it right now. Maybe Sony's not fucking up as badly as I thought at this point...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sony vs. Hackers

Really updating the software 0.01 of a version makes me think that Sony has a big something else going on. Sony wont drop the PS3 at this point as doing so without the slightest plan for a PS4 will allow Microsoft to win the console war. Not to mention the fan loss.

The hackers busting a small update in hours isnt surprising, but them actually commenting that it was harder than usual is.

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
I get the feeling this update is simply a trial run for the security measures they're going to implement. Little more than a test to see how long it takes hackers to beat a simple changing of the keys and patching of exploits. I'm waiting for the next major patch to see if they actually can beat the hackers.

On the plus side, I'm happy to see the cheaters are suffering. Not just the update giving them headaches, but also the first bans going around (not console bans).

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I hacking stuff really fun or something? Do hackers get all the chicks?

These dudes seem much more into it than they should be.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I'm glad to see it's giving hackers a little more trouble than normal.

I really wish hackers would go away and realize no one but them likes them, but, ah, 'tis impossible.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
While some people have said that it was "just a minor update", it still seems like a slap in the face to Sony.

Just a few hours, that's got to have hurt their morale.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Kalezian said:
gigastar said:
Sony vs. Hackers

Really updating the software 0.01 of a version makes me think that Sony has a big something else going on. Sony wont drop the PS3 at this point as doing so without the slightest plan for a PS4 will allow Microsoft to win the console war. Not to mention the fan loss.

The hackers busting a small update in hours isnt surprising, but them actually commenting that it was harder than usual is.
its obvious that they are not going to drop the PS3 anytime soon, not until Nintendo and Microsoft unveil the NGC'sm but I cant help but think that they are really just testing the waters right now security wise on how the PS4/PS720/PSNext will be able to handle itself.

no better experience than ones that you already had.
This kind of holds true with Sony, like how the PSP2 will use cartridges since UMDs were not so hot and digital only was a complete failure, Sony does learn form its mistakes it seems.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
While I agree with the fight against piracy, I have to admit that I do like the CFW for two reasons.
First, it gives me the opportunity to write my own programs without some clunky interface (linux) being in the way and simply use it from the xmb.
Secondly, my second PS3 just bit the dust after just one year (blu ray drive laser wasted, again) and the CFW at least allows me to do something else with the box.
Maybe Sony will see some ways to offer the best of both worlds later on, which would really be a good thing for all sides, actually.
Hacking a console is not always related to piracy and can greatly enhance the value.

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
killamanhunter said:
Sony should get a group of hackers and hack them back, Why not you know?
That's illegal and, if caught, will destroy their PR. Just think of the news: top electronics and gaming company take the law into their own hands with an army of hackers. Nobody would trust them again.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
mjc0961 said:
-Drifter- said:
It'd certainly give lots of regular gamers (by which I mean people who just want to do the normal things the system does without cracks or CFW) such as myself pause for thought next time too. Next time we go to buy a new Sony game platform, that is. "Are they going to support the platform this time, or are they going to quote Eric Cartman and say 'Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!' again? Maybe I shouldn't buy this." Same for publishers and investors, who will wonder if they should bother making any games for future Sony platforms as they won't want to get screwed if Sony decides to take its ball and go home again.

I certainly think Sony has been making mistakes left and right with this whole Install Other OS and handling of hackers business. But I can still play LittleBigPlanet 2 and a slew of other upcoming games this year because they're doing their best to fix the huge fuckups they made. But if all of a sudden they said "Fuck this, we're done, all new games are delayed indefinitely. No Killzone 3, Twisted Metal, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Uncharted 3, and so on for anyone until the PS4 is out!" Oh boy, I wonder what kind of fun new swear words I would come up with to describe how much I would hate them.

And I didn't even realize it until this article pointed it out, but the update came at about the same time the judge said GeoHot gets to turn over all his hacking stuff. I think that ruling sucked, but hey, at least it'll keep 3.56 a bit safer for a bit longer as one of the best crackers can't do a damn thing to it right now. Maybe Sony's not fucking up as badly as I thought at this point...
I was joking, just so you know.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
You know there's always the other method, the 'put a bullet in there brain' method.

But honestly though people always say "They did it because they removed Other OS" no, they removed Other OS because the people who cracked it first told them that's how they did it. You complain about a removal of features when you lost the features due to the actions of code monkeys with ego problems.

As for me, I continue to watch gleefully from the side lines

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
-Drifter- said:
And tank their business when all the people who own one and game on it feel shunned.

TAKE THAT, NOSE! *Cuts it off to spite my face*

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
gigastar said:
Sony vs. Hackers

They busted open the file, now they're trying to figure out what it does. It's not quite the same thing.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Layzor said:
I hacking stuff really fun or something? Do hackers get all the chicks?

These dudes seem much more into it than they should be.
It helps stroke their egos/e penises. They've got the time money and knowledge to do it.

And its funny I really don't know of any other games aside from MW2 being hacked right now. So maybe Activision is just full of shit (as usual) and just doesn't want to invest the time and money to fix their game.