Expert Defends Statements on Modern Warfare Inspired Terrorism

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Expert Defends Statements on Modern Warfare Inspired Terrorism

The terrorism expert quoted in a Russian media report that linked a terrorist attack to Modern Warfare 2 has stood up to defend himself.

After a terrorist bombing at Moscow's Domodedovo Airport on January 24, Russian media outlet Russia Today Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107258-Russian-Media-Suggests-Modern-Warfare-2-Trained-Terrorists], quoting expert Dr. Walid Phares in the process. While Phares' edited words in the report implied that he might also link Modern Warfare 2 with the bombing, he's written a lengthy response to the report that reveals the truth of his beliefs.

The clips of Phares seemed abruptly cut, and evidently this was the case. Phares writes that the negative reaction by the videogame blogosphere to his words was unwarranted, because while the intention of Russia Today's report was obvious, the answer he gave in the expanded version of his interview with the outlet was quite clear: "Games do not create terrorists."

Phares' entire response emphasized that while terrorists do use games for certain training aspects, whether they be custom-made games played on a LAN or products built for entertainment to "meet the infidel" online, these games themselves have nothing to do with the spread of terrorism. He believes that games could "eventually influence a crazy guy who may go on a rampage," but the terrorists responsible for the Domodedevo bombing "aren't isolated gamers but part of an ideologically motivated network."

This response was boiled down to a couple of quotes by Russia Today, raising the ire of those that thought Phares was saying Modern Warfare 2 was directly responsible for terrorism. He blames the New York Times writer who popularized the report for misconstruing his words as an attack on Fox News, whom Phares has worked for, but it seems to me that Russia Today should take most of the blame. Phares' entire response can be found here [http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.8551/pub_detail.asp]

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.8551/pub_detail.asp]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, old news.

Funny how nobody mentions when legitimate military groups fund movies and so on that portray them in a good light, believing (amongst other things) they'll get more recruits.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Really???????????
I mean come on! Using a video game as a excuse for acts of terrorism! What's next any crime/terrorist act is going to be on video games.
They think eight year olds are playing terrorism simulator games and driving cars full of TNT into buildings thinking they'll respawn and type "LOL" to their friends over MSN once they're done?
I'm not sure what they think, but it's amusing to guess...

thaluikhain said:
Eh, old news.

Funny how nobody mentions when legitimate military groups fund movies and so on that portray them in a good light, believing (amongst other things) they'll get more recruits.
Actually, a pretty big deal was made when the U.S army put Xbox 360s and games in their recruitment centres to get younger people in.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Really???????????
I mean come on! Using a video game as a excuse for acts of terrorism! What's next any crime/terrorist act is going to be on video games.
Yeah, but the actual expert was saying it DOESN'T create terrorism. The news outlet is what twisted his words, and you know they're all about controversy. They were obviously going to try and stir the pot.

They say videogames entice violence, people scream and banter and buy their magazine to stay caught up with "The facts"

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
"This just in: Mass media lying! Our next story... IT RAINS IN ENGLAND! Shock."
Oh God, RAIN! Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, the RAIN is coming!!!

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I´m shocked
SHOCKED!

That his words were edited.... so poorly, that even I noticed they were obviously trying to create a non-existing opinion.

Seriously people,
how are we ever gonna get our dystopian future on, when the mass-media has such poor standards of manipulation and lying ?

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Having never seen Fox News, hearing about this and that article on the mother complaining about her cheating son, just over two days has made me glad I havn't seen it.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
HankMan said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
I´m shocked
SHOCKED!

That his words were edited.... so poorly, that even I noticed they were obvious trying to create a non-existing opinion.

Seriously people,
how are we ever gonna get our dystopian future on, when the mass-media has such poor standards of manipulation and lying ?
Don't worry, Fox News definitely picks up the slack.
Keep on being Classy. Beating that Fox News Strawman.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
"This just in: Mass media lying! Our next story... IT RAINS IN ENGLAND! Shock."
WHAT!? RAIN!? IN ENGLAND!!! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!!

Okay, enough of that shit. Anyways, this is not that surprising. Why is it seemingly always easier for the media to blame anything but the actual cause?

Oct 14, 2010
HankMan said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
I´m shocked
SHOCKED!

That his words were edited.... so poorly, that even I noticed they were obvious trying to create a non-existing opinion.

Seriously people,
Don't worry, Fox News definitely picks up the slack.
Kind of strange you would go there when the expert is criticizing the New York Times for making him sound like he was deriding Fox News. It's almost as if there are certain outlets and groups who will take every opportunity whatsoever to bash them.

Whether Fox News deserves it or not is a matter of preference, but why not save those barbs up for more appropriate occasions? They'll be more special when you use them.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
I know, it's like the dunce cap for people. Strawman get labeled with Fox News, true story.