NGP Will Run Downloadable PSP Games, Says Sony

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Sony is in negotiations with developers and publishers to increase the PSP's digital library.

SCE boss Kaz Hirai has confirmed that you will be able to play PSP games on the NGP, just not all of them. The NGP uses a totally different format for physical media than the PSP, so those UMDs aren't going to be much use to you. Any digital titles you might have bought, however, will work just fine.

Speaking with Japanese website Impress Watch [http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/], Hirai said NGP would run PSP games through software emulation, rather than hardware emulation. The NGP also has a new operating system, which is supposedly games-orientated, but runs more like a computer OS. Obviously, at the moment there are lots of PSP games that people won't be able to play on the NGP, but Hirai said that Sony was negotiating with game makers about getting more games released digitally. Presumably this will be good news for PSP Go owners as well.

Backwards compatibly has been a prickly issue for Sony in the past, after it removed it from the PS3. The absence of the feature clearly isn't a deal breaker - the PS3 continued to sell, after all - but all the same, being able to play older games, as well as new ones, is always going to be a point in a console's favor.

The NGP is scheduled for release in winter this year.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_ngp_details/]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
At least the thing is backwards compatible, but I want to hear more details on the service and 3G on the NGP.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Personally i'm hoping for a way for them to let us use the product code on our umds to download the games for free since we already payed for them.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I don't own a PSP, so if I am to get a PSP2 this might be good news for me. I'd love to be able to get Final Fantasy Tactics, Symphony of the Night and the other PSP titles that interest me.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I really hope they use this things monster-hardware to get some serious emulation and backwards-compatibility on. The more of my PS2, PS1 and PSP stuff I can legally play on it, the more likely I´m going to buy it.
Though I consider full-PSP compatibility to be obligatory.
I have very little tolerance for carrying stuff around with me and I refuse to carry two PSPs.
3 PS3s though....

CapnRaccoon

Jun 16, 2010
Ross McGrath (SCEE Playstation Store team) also confirmed that they'll continue supporting the PSP in the PSN store once the NGP has been released.

Justin Amirkhani

Does Video Game Stuff
Jan 31, 2011
This why I took a leap of faith buying a PSP Go. I knew it would be a bad situation in the short term, but buying in to a PSP so late in the game I hoped Sony wouldn't screw me after buying all-digital.

Looks like it paid off. :D

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
wasn't that what doomed the psp go?, well its not like i'm going to buy it anyway, never have been a fan of handheld gaming, these old hands cant take it.

Woem

May 28, 2009
After the disappointment of owing a PSP Go in Europe (which has a really limited amount of games you can download, with not one Silent Hill, Castlevania or Final Fantasy title) I'm not going after this one. Even my iPhone is a much better gaming platform than my PSP Go.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I thought they were talking about the Neo Geo Pocket for a minute then... but no, it's the "Next Gen Portable". Well, no sorry, if anything that's gonna be the 3DS, not matter how good or bad it will be. I think Sony proved that they don't care enough about the hand held market to make this work very well. IMO

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
If Birth By Sleep becomes available on the PSP GO just as I've sold mine so I can play Birth By Sleep I'm going to be annoyed.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
If Birth By Sleep becomes available on the PSP GO just as I've sold mine so I can play Birth By Sleep I'm going to be annoyed.
Me too...i got a psp3000 instead of a go because of Birth by Sleep. I already knew the ngp would have this, so every game except bbs will be from psn for me.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Alright

Logan Westbrook said:
SCE boss Kaz Hirai has confirmed that you will be able to play PSP games on the NGP, just not all of them.
So it will run UMD's too?

Logan Westbrook said:
The NGP uses a totally different format for physical media than the PSP, so those UMDs aren't going to be much use to you.
Ok, not UMD's

Logan Westbrook said:
Any digital titles you might have bought, however, will work just fine.
So, is PSP GO games not PSP games? *confused*

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Not surprising, but good to hear confirmed. It would be lacking without games like Peace Walker to entice release day purchases. A back library of games with a couple of dozen gems is the best thing the PSP has given to it's successor, and for Sony not to take advantage of that is lunacy.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Great... now I have to rebuy my psp games for the ngp if I get it? ... at least I held off on some games.