Black Ops Players Murder the Planet Nine Times (and Other Crazy Stats)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Black Ops Players Murder the Planet Nine Times (and Other Crazy Stats)

We all know Call of Duty is popular, but these statistics might make your jaw drop all the same.

Time for a blinding flash of the obvious: Games like Call of Duty: Black Ops are popular. No, they're very, very popular. But it's hard to really wrap your mind around figures like "sold eighteen bajillion copies in an hour" and "added three zillion dollars to Bobby Kotick's money bin" - they just seem to blend together.

So Activision has released a bunch of statistics that help put the staggering popularity of Black Ops in perspective. For example, 62 billion virtual soldiers have met violent deaths in-game, or nine times the current population of the world, since the game's November release. Since World War II killed a paltry 73,000,000 people in comparison, this means that the largest conflict in human history has been played out in Black Ops 161 times every day (Edit: Since some of you pointed out in the comments that the math doesn't add up, I'm not quite sure what the "161 Second World Wars" stat is referring to).

Players have fallen the height of Mount Everest (29,029 feet) 5.67 million times. 1.1 trillion (that's 1,100 billion) bullets have been fired, and 5.12 billion of them scored headshots. Gamers fired 3.4 billion explosive crossbow bolts, and scored 28.49 million kills with the tomahawk - by bouncing it off of things.

In addition to these ludicrous numbers, this infograph also confirms that the most deadly killstreak bonus is the RC-XD explosive remote-control car. Damn right it is - I hate that thing!

(Image from Activision, via Wired [http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2011/01/the_numbers_mason_V2.jpg])

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Wooaahhh

And I thought that this game was just for underground gamers :p

But seriously, those statistics are pretty mind boggling. It's kind hard to grasp though, because as XKCD once put it, after a certain amount, these colossal numbers become almost meaningless, because they're so hard to envisage. But that's just my take on the matter...

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Insane. I have to spam this website to so many people, then they'll realize they were sucked into the vortex.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
What a surprise that the gun with the most kills is the FAMAS, with the second being the AK-47u, and the 3rd being the Galil. I would say they were definitely the most overpowered guns in the game.

On a side note.

JESUS CHRIST those are some BIG, HUGEO numbers...

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Lets not let the "video games are bad and turn people in to murder machines" people see this ok?

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I think the only stat that really surprised me was the AK74u only being the second most used weapon.
/bitter about being killed by it. A lot.

I also genuinely lol'd at the RC-XD having the most killstreak kills. I mean, Attack Dogs kill a lot of peeps.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Daemascus said:
Lets not let the "video games are bad and turn people in to murder machines" people see this ok?
Games are murder simulator didn't you know!

These stats are actually good food for thought on that matter in my opinion.

Jun 11, 2008
Doesn't surprise me. I am really trying to like the game but I am finding it hard with imba guns and kill streaks and complete oversaturation.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
RC cars are now the stuff of nightmares..... love that 'players have killed millions of people with a tomahawk - by bouncing it off things'. Nice haha :)

They left the figure for knifings out on purpose I bet, as your head wouldnt be able to comprehend the number and you'd /explode

Edit: is this across all platforms xbox/ps3/pc or just one?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Holy Shit, someone bothered to gather the numbers.

I for one can fathom huge numbers. And i can say Oh Crap [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OhCrap] doesnt begin to describe it.

After some quick calculating i remembered the approximate average distance from earth to the sun is about 144 billion metres.

Assuming every one of the identical virtual victims is 2 metres in hieght then there are enough bodies (stacked end to end) to not quite make it.

62 billion multiplied by 2 = 124 billion.
Total difference of 20 billion.
Theyll probably make up the difference this time next month.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Where the hell is the MP5 prototype on that list, I hear it's the most overused gun in the game..?

Whoa thats some numbers, maybe fox will now accuse games of training young people to be skynet terminators or whatnot...

Jules57

Jan 27, 2011
Turns out the GDP of Ireland gets something or othered 3 times or something, I didn't quite understand what it said lol

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
Those stats are really impressive. Let's hope that the anti-video game people don't use this as another piece of "evidence" for how video games are corrupting the youth...

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
gigastar said:
Holy Shit, someone bothered to gather the numbers.

I for one can fathom huge numbers. And i can say Oh Crap [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OhCrap] doesnt begin to describe it.

After some quick calculating i remembered the approximate average distance from earth to the sun is about 144 billion metres.

Assuming every one of the identical virtual victims is 2 metres in hieght then there are enough bodies (stacked end to end) to not quite make it.

62 billion multiplied by 2 = 124 billion.
Total difference of 20 billion.
Theyll probably make up the difference this time next month.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL! YOU LINKED ME TO TV TROPES!!!!

back to the topic however, i agree wholeheartedly. those numbers are just plain ridiculous.
and i bet that if you were to stack the bodies on top of each other, assuming a thickness of about .6 metres, (since 2 ft is about 2/3 of a metre right?), and black ops has been out for about 84 days, the stack should be to the sun at least by this time next year.

Edit: forgot to put in the number. it is approximately 37 billion metres stacked the way i said. though now that i think about it, the people wont be that thick and its more like .4 metres more likely, making it 24 billion metres.