Japanese Fanartists Improve China's Hideous Knockoff Gundam

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Japanese Fanartists Improve China's Hideous Knockoff Gundam

Thanks to the work of talented Japanese artists, the Chinese Gundam statue no longer looks like the ugly stepchild of the mecha family.

Yesterday, we standing tall in Japan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107412-Chinas-Knockoff-Gundam-Gets-a-Hideous-Makeover]. Frankly speaking, it was hideous: The color scheme was embarrassing, the construction looked shoddy, and it just looked like its designers had thrown random spikes and tubes onto it to disguise its original Gundam design (which, in all likelihood, is completely true).

[gallery=109]

But whereas you and I might have looked at this new sorry excuse for a mecha and seen only a pitiable creature worthy of disdain, others saw something different. Others looked beyond the garish colors and the random nuclear-power symbol on the torso, and saw ... potential. It might have been potential well-hidden underneath poor craftsmanship, but it was potential nonetheless.

So, a bunch of Japanese fanartists decided to give the Chinese not!Gundam the treatment it deserved.

You know what? I'll eat some crow here: The Chinese design actually looks kind of cool in these pictures. It very much feels like a classic "super robot" a la Mazinger or Getter Robo, what with the random spikes and the bright primary color paint job, but I could see people buying a hypothetical model kit of this one day.

Then again, maybe cool art can make even a mediocre design look decent. I mean, just look at Gundam Wing.

(via SankakuComplex [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/01/chinese-gundam-ridiculously-cool/] - link very NSFW. Thanks for the tip, Mstrswrd!)

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Woah! That's...Awesome.

I guess i was wrong that it could not be cool or awesome in way.

I am glad i was wrong.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Hmm. Really not bad. Looks dumb just standing there but the minute you put it into action it gets legitimized. Impressive.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
For the record I posted in the other thread before this article sprung up :p

Still not a fan of the color.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Then again, maybe cool art can make even a mediocre look decent. I mean, just look at Gundam Wing.
If Photobucket would only work I'd post my "Gundam Wing: Because G Gundam wasn't gay enough." demotivational poster, or maybe some of my converted Tau Crisis Suits. Network problem my arse, I'm on broadband damnit! >:[

I think it's the fishface grill that gets me with the Counterfit Gundam. It's like a SD Gundam Force Gundam tried to stick it's grill on a pane of glass (assuming those things have moving faceplates in the series, I never watched an episode).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I thereby dub thee "Knockoff Gundam" (unless someone had already given it a name). I wonder if they will use it as a cameo in a Gundam series or it will get it own show?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
(via SankakuComplex [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/01/chinese-gundam-ridiculously-cool/] - link very NSFW.
Thoughts beforehand:
How can a link be "VERY" NSFW? It either is or isn't, and if they're posting awesome pictures of the knock off Chinese Gundam, they can't be that bad.

One minute after clicking:
UNCLEAN! I AM UNCLEAN! Is some of that even legal? I guess since it's drawn... EW!

OT: Honestly, that first picture is so awesome it could have sold me on it immediately. Even if it is a cheap disguise for a shoddy knock off.

Calumon: Oooooh. Is he a new friend? Can he bring be food too? Can we play? Huh, can we?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
I like japan for this. They pick up stuff and things and give them whole new meanings. So many random things now either freaks me out or gives me boner because of japan.

Looks egyptian...

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Ha-ha-ha. I enjoy knowing that this article came from a site I'm famous on. It also pleases me that Jack had that kind of reaction :3

Like I said there. The china version looks more like a Char version

Sach

Nov 22, 2009
This post was good until he burned the best Gundam series ever...

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
He he, saw these yesterday when I was browsing a... Less than wholesome site and couldn't help but stare with my mouth agape at my PC's screen, kind of humbling, really, to see that even the most hideous of montrosities can be made totally frickin' awesome by someone talented enough.

Here's to hoping it makes it into a Super Robot Wars game as a secret super-type Gundam. :D