Madden Predicts Steelers Over Packers in Super Bowl XLV

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Madden Predicts Steelers Over Packers in Super Bowl XLV

Good news, Pittsburgh fans: EA's NFL simulator says you'll squeak out the win in Texas this Sunday.

This upcoming Sunday is not your average Sunday. It's Super Bowl Sunday, which means a day of delicious food, beer, and watching the Big Game for us Americans - and a day where a good chunk of the rest of the world scratches their heads and wonders what the fuss is all about.

This year, the Pittsburgh Steelers are facing the Green Bay Packers in a clash that takes place down at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. It's an interesting match-up, because while the Steelers have the NFL record for most Super Bowl wins - six in total - the Packers have the most NFL titles overall, with three Super Bowl victories and nine titles before the first Super Bowl in 1967.

According to EA Sports' annual Madden NFL Super Bowl simulation, the Lombardi Trophy will be heading to Pittsburgh for the seventh time: Madden NFL 11 predicted that the Steelers would triumph over the Packers with a fourth-quarter touchdown and a last-minute interception, with a final score of 24-20. The virtual game's MVP was Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, who made five catches for 111 yards and scored the game-winning touchdown.

For those dismissing this as just a game, the Madden simulation has correctly predicted the outcome of six of the last seven Super Bowls, including last year's surprising Saints-over-Colts result [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98054-Madden-2010-Predicts-Saints-Win-in-Super-Bowl-XLIV]. The one it missed? 2008's Super Bowl XLII, where the New York Giants eked out a win over the heavily favored New England Patriots.

Don't lose all heart, Green Bay fans: Back in September, Madden NFL claimed that the season's Super Bowl would be between the Packers and the Baltimore Ravens [http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/sports/football/ravens/ea-sports-says-baltimore-ravens-will-take-on-green-bay-packers-for-super-bowl-title]. So it's been wrong before.

There, now you don't have to watch the Super Bowl anymore. I mean, you could watch it for the fun of enjoying the game or something, but that's just crazy.

(CrunchGear [http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/02/01/madden-nfl-11-pittsburgh-steelers-will-win-the-super-bowl-24-20/])

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
I'm sorry, but the only place I get my sports picks is from the Toad. Get your poking sticks and fish heads ready.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll be busy trying to get the Platinum trophy in Just Cause 2 on Sunday.

Yes, I am totally mental.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
For my sanity, my belongings' safety, and my girlfriends lungs, let Madden be wrong this year. She is not a fan of of Pittsburgh, and my things are not a fan of being thrown or smashed against other things.

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
I stop caring after the Pittsburgh Steelers bribed the referee's to steal the 2006 super bowl from the Seattle Seahawks.

/Begin the flame war

radarbsm

Aug 30, 2009
Well I am obligated to call this false and say the Packers will win, but I do not really give a shit who wins or loses.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
False, the refs always win, in every game. Except boxing sometimes when they get accidentally punched.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Sorry but i must disagree to this. I will be sending cheers towards the packers in this event, not because i like this team (i'm a Cleveland Browns fan personally), but because i have a seething hatred of Ben Roethlisberger.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I dunno. Been a hard season as a Viking fan. I'm supposed to be obliged to hate the Packers but I can't bring myself to this season. I could hate the Bears since they sucked but still got incredibly lucky and got so far, but the Pack did it despite everyone on IR.

So go Pack go.

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
The Vikings fan in me is saying go Steelers, but the betting man in me says go Packers. Considering I picked the championship games completely wrong I don't think the Bowl will be more than a background noise and an annoyance that Bobs Burgers won't be on.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The_Emperor said:
You people and your armoured rugby, that noone else in the world plays but you.

even cricket is international and its shit.

how insular :p

trololololol
Actually, I know a lot of people all over the globe who watch the Super Bowl. Kind of like how Americans only give a crap about soccer during the World Cup.

(p.s., we wear the pads because the hits in football are way harder than the comparatively gentle shoves in rugby)

Also, don't troll ;)

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Might not even have to get out my Terrible Towel if they're going to win anyways. My money is on Troy sacking AND getting a pick on Rogers.

I know it's overplayed and overrated. Please forgive me.

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
Not too worried about that. 11points has been running football sims every Sunday, and it only had a record of 6-13 through the season and playoffs.

I'm betting the Packers will win, it seems they've got a slightly better defense and Rogers is an overall better QB than Roethlisberger. And, as a Vikings fan, I feel I should keep the love in the conference. Go Packs!

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
I'm rooting for the Packers. This seems to be a trend for me, going for the NFC team. Honestly seeing either the Steelers, Patriots, and Colts in the Super Bowl time and time again is lame. The Pats losing to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII was probably my favorite NFL moment in the past decade.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
John Funk said:
This upcoming Sunday is not your average Sunday. It's Super Bowl Sunday, which means a day of delicious food, beer, and watching the Big Game for us Americans - and a day where a good chunk of the rest of the world scratches their heads and wonders what the fuss is all about.
I was reminded that Superbowl Sunday is coming up when I saw deals in the Supermarket today for "Super Savings" on Soda and Salsa, if you bought them in what would normally only be institutional Sized Servings. That said I kind of wonder too. I get that unlike most sports the championship is decided by a single game and not a series. It's just that Football's not my game (fun to play, dull to watch) and the sheer level of excitement eludes me. However...

For those dismissing this as just a game, the Madden simulation has correctly predicted the outcome of six of the last seven Super Bowls, including last year's surprising Saints-over-Colts result [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98054-Madden-2010-Predicts-Saints-Win-in-Super-Bowl-XLIV]. The one it missed? 2008's Super Bowl XLII, where the New York Giants eked out a win over the heavily favored New England Patriots.
Holy crap that's neat. I didn't know it was so well-tuned.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
As yet another Vikings fan, I'm going with Packers. They've impressed me in the playoffs and I kinda like Rodgers.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The day I believe a video game prediction is the day I eat my right shoe. Its the equivalent of flipping a coin.