Update: DC Universe Online Getting Valentine's Update, More Catwoman

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Update: DC Universe Online Getting Valentine's Update, More Catwoman

SOE won't let its newest MMO lay fallow as it announced new content being delivered to DCUO in the coming weeks.

Update: SOE released some screenshots of the interior of the Bat Cave and Catwoman battling some very furry-like enemies in the Gotham Museum. The details on the update are still sparse but guessing from the images of the Bat Cave provided it seems like Batman's robots may have gone rogue and the players have to put them down in the raid instance.

[gallery=113]

Original post: The kiss of death for any MMO is to let too much time pass before players run out of things to do. With a smaller level cap than many games, DC Universe is especially at risk for players to take flight after the first month of subscription time has expired. To punch the lights out of such cowards fleeing from Metropolis, Sony announced today that new missions involving Catwoman stealing artifacts from the Gotham Musuem will be introduced soon, as well as the chance to play as her in Legends PvP instances. Also, Valentine's Day themed content will be added with the goddess Aphrodite up to no good in Metropolis. Players at the level cap will get a raid in the Bat Cave, but the details of when the update will go live are not clear.

Game Director Chris Cao said that he is happy with how the game is progressing as it tries to cater to the PS3 crowd. "On a console, playtime is typically shorter, but people come back and play more often. So the game's designed to be a lot of fun even in short bursts," he said. "The PS3 is competing with cable, with DVR, with Netflix, and you can't hog the TV for 10 hours a day."

Cao is also aware that many console owners haven't played an MMO before so he is trying to keep them sucked in with more "casual" content. The goal for Cao was to create "an awesome superhero game you can play for months" that's "as fun as possible."

Check out my review of DC Universe Online to see if he succeeded.

Source: The Associated Press [http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110201/ap_en_ot/us_games_dc_comics_2]

Apr 28, 2008
More Catwoman?

Now that the cat's out of the bag we can see how it'll turn out. Probably won't be purr-fect, but eh what're you gonna do.

Hopefully I didn't give you all a Cat Scratch Fever.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Irridium said:
More Catwoman?

Now that the cat's out of the bag we can see how it'll turn out. Probably won't be purr-fect, but eh what're you gonna do.

badum-tishhh

yeah...
no

OT, woah, i dont care about any of that at all!!... is that weird???

anyway i want to play and be the Joker minion :D that would be awesome

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"and you can't hog the TV for 10 hours a day."
Why not? Most MMO gamers are older and I for one have my own HDTV to do with as I please in the house I bought years ago. Too bad you have to work hard to afford it all, but at least I can hog my TV for 10 hour days in the weekend :p

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Well they finally came out with a patch today to add trade to the game and let you communicate with everyone in the world through trade chat. This is a big step towards making putting groups together a whole lot easier. The biggest thing I worry about is a lack of population a month in. If the community stays strong the game will be a huge success.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The next best thing Sony can do here is a trial period. If they want to sell this game at $50 a pop then $15 a month thereafter, give us a chance to demo the game!

More Catwoman for a time when you think of romance? Rawr!

And if DCUO ends up with more a casual feel to it to attract more PS3 players, that I won't mind so much. Just as long as variety is continually added into the mix. Greg Tito noted one thing that I also caught from watching gameplay, that there is a real chance where repetition can get way too apparent and kill the fun.
Add Center(ral?) City, the homecity of the Green Lantern Hal Jordan in the first expansion would be a good step forward.
Apokolips later on would be an additional one, too. Excellent place for raids and pvp for sure, and the better to do it soon so we get Ed Asner doing Granny Goodness as that will never get old for me.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
HankMan said:
Dam Aphrodite! Coming around making people fall in love. That *****!
Irridium said:
More Catwoman?

This will certainly give me... paws
More missions to lick, eh?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Perhaps I should brush up on my Broadsword comics...not connected with DC in any way, but some of the most appalling cat related puns ever...also, unbelievably messed up.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
sweet. guess that gives me a reason to go to month two <.<

i still have 22 days left and im lvl28... i cant imagine i wont finish the end games in 22 days :p

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Those are OMACs (one man army corps) Batman was involved in the creation of those when he went even more paranoid and basically tried to keep tabs on every single superbeing on the planet. He kind of lost control of them...

samsonguy920 said:
Add Center(ral?) City, the homecity of the Green Lantern Hal Jordan in the first expansion would be a good step forward.
Apokolips later on would be an additional one, too. Excellent place for raids and pvp for sure, and the better to do it soon so we get Ed Asner doing Granny Goodness as that will never get old for me.
Central City is the home of the Flash, I think you mean Coast City.

Would love to go visit Apokolips!

I'd actually quite like to see a whole green lantern expansion with comparable powers and add Hal Jordan as another mentor.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
gibboss28 said:
Nope, sorry. My sub ends on the 12th and I'm not resubscribing.
Once mine is up I don't think I will either, and I would imagine this game will be free to play soon enough.

The missions are all basically the same.

- Get mission
- Go to mission
- Kill henchmen
- Kill Mid level henchmen
- Kill main opponent

Then rinse and repeat forever. Even the cutscenes featuring the main characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. Are about as engaging as eating popcorn twist, it's light, has a pleasent taste, but is soon forgotten.

DC Universe online, looks pretty but the game play is just another grinding button masher. Hell if you want that and be equally bored you can play Champions Online. It's free to play online now (no suprise).

I don't know who will eventually get the "Hero or Villain" feel to these comic based MMO's correctly so far it's not either one of these.

Hmmm, "Make Mine Marvel?"