Sony Posts Screenshots of Infamous 2's Morality System and Companions

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony Posts Screenshots of Infamous 2's Morality System and Companions

Depending on your actions in Infamous 2, you will forge a better friendship with one of two female companions.

The first Infamous had a karma system and your choices in the missions changed what powers were available to the hero Cole. In the sequel, Sucker Punch is making the morality system a little more personal by creating two characters: Kuo and Nix. Nix is a native of the Louisiana city where the game is set (a New Orleans ripoff called New Marais) and she hates the villain Bertrand with a passion that blinds her to the consequences of her actions. Kuo is an NSA agent. From those descriptions it's pretty clear that Nix is the "bad" NPC while Kuo is "good." By choosing different dialogue options and following the lead of one of these characters will affect how you play Infamous 2.

[gallery=110]

"There will be multiple crossroads where Cole will decide to follow Kuo's lead or give into Nix's temptations. Your choices will directly affect the gameplay by permanently remaining in the world," read the announcement on the PlayStation blog. "Whatever path you choose, remember that in inFAMOUS 2 you can always change your mind. It's never too late to look for redemption ... or to say "to hell with it" and become selfish."

That last bit alone will be a big improvement over the first game as it became frustrating if you wanted to change which way your morality was leaning. I'm glad that Sucker Punch listened to fans complaints about that portion of the game and created a new system that appears to solve the problem.

By the way, judging by those screenshots, the game looks pretty damn good. I saw it at E3 and the team has almost had 10 months to perfect the systems and graphics to take the best advantage of the PS3 hardware.

There's still no word on an official release date other than 2011, but the excitement is building.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/01/infamous-2-morality-revealed-meet-the-companions/]

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Eh, I would rather they made the good path sound more interesting. Following a woman (If pic #4 is Nix, Following a good looking woman) pent on revenge seems like it would be infinitely more interesting than following a (quite bland looking) NSA agent.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
They got rid of the karma meter? Awesome, now I can just be a dick without having to be a lvl3 dick in order to perform said dick action. Or visa versa as ill probably playthrough twice anyway.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Here's hoping whichever girl you pick won't magically die by the end no matter what you do thus eliminating your illusion of "choice"

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Hm... Rather odd way to handle that. Still, it sounds like it could be interesting. I hope it works out well, because it could show others how to better handle morality systems in games. Also, it seems to be shaping up quite well. Here's hoping it's GOTY 2011 material.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Cole is looking spectacular. Nice fix to the karma system, still a bit weird one is totally evil and one is totally good. It is nice to see the choices personified though, and the characters do make sense.

Mr. Doe

Aug 15, 2009
I dont like this, making Cole less a hero/villain/anti-hero/ant-vilain and making him a tool for someone else to use; And am I the only one who thinks its a little uncool that its basing it around two women that will (probably) be Love interests not long after the death of a woman that made me do a bad thing (I was Cole McNice.) in a vain attempt to save her? Im just hoping we can play Cole like Trish's death was a huge impact on him and he isnt going to start flagrantly porking Native Americans and Government agents.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I just got a PS3 and I must say this game is one of the reasons why. The other being blu-ray really. (With Demon's Souls as an excellent bonus) That said, comeeeeeeon infamous 2. Lay that goodness on me.

Mr. Doe said:
I dont like this, making Cole less a hero/villain/anti-hero/ant-vilain and making him a tool for someone else to use; And am I the only one who thinks its a little uncool that its basing it around two women that will (probably) be Love interests not long after the death of a woman that made me do a bad thing (I was Cole McNice.) in a vain attempt to save her? Im just hoping we can play Cole like Trish's death was a huge impact on him and he isnt going to start flagrantly porking Native Americans and Government agents.
Well thanks for the spoiler man. My freaking copy of the first game is only on it's way here and I already know some girl named Trish is gonna die and there's nothing I can do about it. I mean, we are past the 6 month barrier still but your timing couldn't have been better.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...Oh, wow. That's some interesting, beautiful artwork. And the change to the morality system, basically personifying and anthropomorphizing lawful good and chaotic...neutral at best, I suppose, but I don't get the "evil" sense yet, but there's not that much to go on. Seems like an interesting way to do it, though, more so than the arbitrary good/bad meter.

[sub]and oh, you big tease you, taunting me again with no release date...[/sub]

Mr. Doe

Aug 15, 2009
Ghengis John said:
I just got a PS3 and I must say this game is one of the reasons why. The other being blu-ray really. (With Demon's Souls as an excellent bonus) That said, comeeeeeeon infamous 2. Lay that goodness on me.

Mr. Doe said:
Well thanks for the spoiler man. My freaking copy of the first game is only on it's way here and I already know some girl named Trish is gonna die and there's nothing I can do about it. I mean, we are past the 6 month barrier still but your timing couldn't have been better.
Shit sorry! D: I just thought most people who were reading about the sequel would have played the game already. (not that theres anything wrong with that, I played Halo2 without playing Halo: Combat evolved)

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
As excited as i am for the game, does anyone else think that Nix looks like a red version of that dancer from return of the jedi?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/the%20dancer%20from%20return%20of%20the%20jedi/frieza112/Star%2520Wars%2520Return%2520of%2520the%2520Jedi/Jabbas%2520Palace/OolaDancing6.jpg

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
Good to see they fixed the morality system, but I don't like the looks of either of the girls. Kuo looks really bland and Nix is just way over the top.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm still wondering if Cole is a blank slate at the beginning of 2 or they take into account your inFAMOUS 1 choices.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
"There will be multiple crossroads where Cole will decide to follow Kuo's lead or give into Nix's temptations. Your choices will directly affect the gameplay by permanently remaining in the world," read the announcement on the PlayStation blog. "Whatever path you choose, remember that in inFAMOUS 2 you can always change your mind. It's never too late to look for redemption ... or to say "to hell with it" and become selfish."
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's just too funny, seriously, you crack me up dude.

...oh, wait he's serious...

Whatever, I have absolutely no faith in the "morality systems" in any games (and as I just finished Mass Effect 2, with the arbitrary good/evil bars (still a good game though) my bitterness is probably twofold now), so I have absolutely no reason to believe a single word he says about this. I mean, really, what do you think most people are going to do? Go back and forth between moralities, skewing the stories and creating a schizophrenic Cole McGrath? Or just stick with one path, get the benefits of it (mmm, trophies!), and play again on the evil side?

Still looks awesome, though, can't friggin' wait for it!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The first Infamous had a karma system
That really depends on how loosely you define karma systems. It really just had two barely different power-up trees based on pointless decisions that had no effect on either the story or the character's personality (both versions of Cole are whiny douchebags; one just looks like he took a shower with tar instead of water).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh that's great. After what little effect the first game's choices had on anything, I suppose anything is an improvement, but still. This sounds like the same kind of nonsense hype machine the first game had, and none of what they hyped for the first game turned out to be true. ...Is Peter Molyneux secretly helping with development of the Infamous series? Because that'd explain a hell of a lot if he was.

Mr. Doe said:
I dont like this, making Cole less a hero/villain/anti-hero/ant-vilain and making him a tool for someone else to use
Making him a tool for someone else to use? That's all he was in the first game, or did you forget all about random government woman who's name I can't recall (she told you the sob story about her husband), John, and Kessler pretty much leading Cole around like a little poodle on a leash for the entire game? Cole isn't changing at all, he's staying exactly the same as he was in the first game: multiple people's *****.

RatRace123 said:
I'm still wondering if Cole is a blank slate at the beginning of 2 or they take into account your inFAMOUS 1 choices.
The first game didn't take your choices into account; why should the second?

Mr. Doe

Aug 15, 2009
mjc0961 said:
(Sounds like somebody didnt like the game.) Even though I know your just gonna disagree I still have to say that Cole wasnt being multiple peoples ***** in InFamous 1 he just had no clue what the hell was going on and needed somebody to give him intel (at least if you were a good-guy and I mean really, would you have EVER figured out the psychic trash monster hobos were going to build a big tower of trash and kidnap a ball that commits genocide every time somone touches it? if yes then a follow up: how many pills do you take for your schizophrenia?) and I think that the Karma system worked pretty well (even if the whole have to be full good/evil to be useful thing sucked.) and now that theyre smashing the Karma system together with a romance...hmm, I cant say option because its mandatory so I guess romance 'requirement' theyll make the system suck. (or in your opinion suck even more.)