NASA Contemplating Blowing Up International Space Station

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
NASA Contemplating Blowing Up International Space Station

A new idea for expanding the International Space Station could result in it being called the "Inflatable Space Station" instead.

Adding expansions to the International Space Station isn't exactly cheap, which means that NASA is considering alternative, less expensive construction methods. One possible technique would include inflating an addition, similar to "blowing up a tire", provided that NASA and Bigelow Airspace manage to reach a deal.

Nevada-based Bigelow is working to create alternative manufacturing methods for spacecraft and space modules based on its "expandable habitats". The technology has actually been tested and demonstrated via the launch of <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Aerospace#Genesis_I>Genesis I in 2006 and Genesis II in 2007. As a result, NASA is currently weighting a proposal to use one a Bigelow Expandable Activity Module for the ISS.

If the deal goes through, the module used for the space station would be a slightly larger version of the type used for both Genesis I and II (which are currently in orbit). Theoretically, the module would be flown up to the ISS via a commercial rocket and then attached via robot.

As previously stated, the deal between NASA and Bigelow has yet to be finalized. That said, this is a really neat idea: the new technology could allow NASA to construct/place new portions of the station at a fraction of previous costs, and this is also a big step in the direction of commercial involvement with space exploration (<a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/science/space/02nasa.html>something the Obama Administration has been touting since last year).

Source: Geek

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
You know, that title is very misleading. I thought we were recreating COD:MW2.
EDIT:Damn, partial ninja'd!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Reading that title was such a huge WTF moment. Definitely works at getting attention.

Apr 28, 2008
I thought this story would be about NASA making the Space Station explode.
I'm rather disappointed.

I guess space stations that are balloons are cool...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This sounds like it would be at risk for popping. Aren't small bits of debris somewhat of a problem up there, especially at that altitude?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
First when I read the title I was like

Then I read the actual thing and was like

So, yes, during the course of reading this article I turned from a cat into an owlCool stuff! Interesting technology, Hope it works! However, how safe is it? Isn't there a possibility that something sharp goes through it and oxygen escapes? I'm sure NASA would have thought of this problem and solved it years ago of course XD

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I hope this goes through, might help get NASA off their asses and back into space.

Captain12345

Apr 6, 2009
Oh bugger, and here I thought there was some sort of crazy cost-cutting-artificial-meteorite-shower making plan going on.

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
Title: What! Now way. They are not that stupid.

Thread: Oh...That makes sense.

All commments will state what people though due to the title.

I hate captcha.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
TestECull said:
Am I alone in thinking there would be space nukes involved when they saw the title? :p
Yes.
Nuclear weapons in space have been illegal since 1967.

Conventional explosives however, are the order of the day for being able to manouver.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Two articles like this in one day?
Come on, The Escapist, this is becoming shameless.

However, balloon stations are interesting.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Too bad, I like the International Space Station. To me it represents all mankind pushing forward and going into space not as a bunch of nations but as one united people.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
could this balloon go to mars? why aren't we talking mars? mars is awesome! and yeah I was kinda disappointed they weren't going to actually blow up the space station too