Ringo Starr Trademarks Ringo Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ringo Starr Trademarks Ringo Game

The venerable ex-Beatle may have hit on his drum heads a little too hard if he thinks a Ringo-themed game is a good idea.

Ringo Starr is the best backbeat in the business, according to his ex-bandmate George Harrison. As the backbone of the Fab Four, Ringo Starr slapped the skins in more classic songs than I can recall and inspired drummers such as Phil Collins and Dave Grohl for years to come. Other then Sir Paul McCartney (where's Ringo's freaking knighthood?), Ringo Starr is the only surviving Beatle despite being the oldest member of the group. Kids probably best know him now as the voice of the narrator in Thomas the Tank Engine, but Ringo still writes and records music, with his fifteenth solo album Y Not released a year ago. He was on stage at the 2009 E3 to announce Harmonix's Rock Band: The Beatles, and perhaps that's where he (or his handlers) got the idea for a music videogame. On January 26th, Ringo Starr aka Richard Starkey filed for a trademark for a "computer game software" and toyline called Ringo.

I'm not sure how I feel about a videogame based on the accolades of a 70 year old Ringo Starr. Most of his more memorable accomplishments would have already been covered by Rock Band: The Beatles, and even though he toured for years with his All-Starr band I don't really think there's enough material there for a game.

On the other hand, whenever I play the drums in Rock Band people say that my movements are similar to Ringo's straight-backed posture behind the drum set. So maybe there's something to this crazy idea after all.

Source: US Patent and Trademark Office [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85223979]

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
I would probably be Rock Band:Beatles all over again but with bass and guitar removed

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I predict the produt of this to be totally forgottable, not even remembered for being creatively bad.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1. He does not narrate for Thomas anymore, hasn't for years. Current reruns, at least in the US, tend to feature either Alec Baldwin or George Carlin.
2. Assuming this is not a music game, this could be awesome. Ringo Starr can be hilarious when he wants to be. I'm envisioning an action RPG with robots.

P.S. Thanks

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Every time I hear of a far-out, crazy-sounding game, I secretly hope it'll be a huge success, to the surprise of everyone.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Oh god, I hate Ringo Starr so much!Why did the only sound Beatle have to die!
[sub]George Harrison in case you were wondering... Oh George![/sub]

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I used to love the Beatles in order of "John, Paul, Ringo, George".
Now it's more "John, Ringo, George, Paul".

Seriously, I've heard from roadies that Paul is just a complete bastard. I mean, he fires people for eating meat. Not to mention "How do you sleep" was written ABOUT him by John...and Ringo played drums on it so....

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
uro vii said:
Greg Tito said:
where's Ringo's freaking knighthood?
Ringo was knighted and is still a knight, all the Beatles were knighted together. I think he is probably just less insistent on the title then Paul McCartney
No; they all got an MBE together. That's not the same thing.

Edit: ...apparently I'm wrong. Ignore this post.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
HankMan said:
In Ringo's game, you get points for not keeping up with the screen que XP
I hope I look as good as he does when I hit 70. Seriously he could pass for 50 easy.
Wait hes 70! Holy pants!

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
Couldn't the guy have been more creative with the name?
I mean it just seems ridiculous, I'd expect Ringo to be the name of some quirky platformer.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
Lukeje said:
uro vii said:
Greg Tito said:
Ringo was knighted and is still a knight, all the Beatles were knighted together. I think he is probably just less insistent on the title then Paul McCartney

Ringo and Paul are both MBE's, but Paul is also a "Knight Bachelor." If anyone knows what that means (like which one out-ranks the other or what-not) that'd be helpful.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Kitteh said:
Lukeje said:
uro vii said:
Greg Tito said:

Ringo and Paul are both MBE's, but Paul is also a "Knight Bachelor." If anyone knows what that means (like which one out-ranks the other or what-not) that'd be helpful.
An MBE is an instance of Knight Bachelor, at least according to wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Bachelor] (which uses Paul as an example). It just seems like you have to ask the Queen nicely if you can be called Sir, or something. Maybe. I too am hoping for an expert to qualify this.