Amazon Supposedly Muscling in on Netflix's Turf

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Amazon Supposedly Muscling in on Netflix's Turf

Sources say that Amazon's streaming package could undercut Netlfix by more than fifteen percent.

Online retailer Amazon is getting ready to launch an online streaming service for movies, putting it into direct competition with Netflix. Sources suggest that Amazon planned to launch the service this month, but has delayed it in order to iron out some technical problems and secure more content.

Amazon is apparently in talks with movie studios, trying to cut deals to allow the retailer to stream older films that had completed their run on pay cable networks like Starz and HBO. These movies - which are at least seven years old - are significantly cheaper to license than newer films. Netflix's deal with Epix, for example, could see Netflix pay as much as a billion dollars over five years. People close to the situation have said that Amazon still has a long way to go however, as while it has been able to secure some independent content, it hasn't worked out any deals with the six major studios yet.

It's believed that Amazon will make the streaming service part of its Amazon Prime subscription, which gives subscribers unlimited shipping for a flat fee. Amazon Prime is around $15 cheaper a year than even the cheapest Netflix plan, but will likely have much less content - at least at first.

It's going to take a lot of effort and smart decisions if Amazon wants to become a serious rival to Netflix in the US, but it's not impossible. Amazon will also have to deal with Hulu's efforts to expand into movies, an area in which the Hulu is showing some early signs of success. Amazon already has at least some of the infrastructure in place however, as it offers movie rentals on an on-demand basis.

Source: LA Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/01/amazon-netflix-hulu-streaming.html]

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I bought deadspace off of Amazon, it was direct download. So they're doing this for games too.
Edit:Netflix is extremely cheap anyways, I get it for 8$ a month and the variety of movies on instant watch and shipping make it worth it.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm, I make use of amazon quite often. This news pleases me.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
I LOVE Netflix and wouldn't even think to use anything else.

But I like that they have some actual competition now. Maybe now Netflix will start innovating again and give us some cool features, since now they actually have someone offering the same service as them.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
This is the beauty of the capitalist system. The market will always be open for someone to provide a comparable service or goods at a cheaper rate, forcing the other services to lower their prices or give even more value for their price to keep customers. The customer wins in either case.

Now if only video game publishers would realize that a set $59.99 release price for a console game doesn't help them as much in terms of sales that a $49.99 or $39.99 release price would. I'm willing to bet that they would actually make more based on extra sales at a lower price because more people would buy their game.

Artlover

Apr 1, 2009
All Amazon needs to do is wait. People are jumping ship from Netflix in droves lately.

NetFlix lately has become hellbent on alienating it's userbase in numerous ways. Ignoring the already previlent problems of horrible streaming quality, high defect rate on dvd's, pathetic choice of material that is split up between dvd only & streaming only with no sense of logic at all, to their most recent slap in the face of removing the abaility to manipulate the queue to add DVD's from every netflix enabled device except a PC.

If they are still around in 5 years, I'll be surprized.