Explore the World's Museums Like a Videogame

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Explore the World's Museums Like a Videogame

Google's Art Project lets you walk through the National Gallery in London or MoMA as if you were clicking through a videogame like Myst.

In case you haven't noticed, Google has been quietly cataloging our world by taking billions of digital pictures. It began in 2007 with the Street View program in which a truck drove around the roadways of major cities and took pictures along the way. All of that data was compiled so that it was viewable alongside the Google Maps web interface and it allowed you to get a sense of what your destination might look like, or creep out the world with Google Art Project, which is available to view here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102784-Community-Terrified-By-Google-Street-View-Prank].

[gallery=115]

The first thing I thought when I saw this interface was how similar it is to what we gamers experience on a daily basis. You move through the spaces like a character might through a videogame. If you get confused as to where you are, you can even pull up a minimap of the museum's floor plan and navigate that way. Clicking on the "+" symbol next to a piece of art that interests you brings up a high resolution shot which you can zoom into to examine every little nuance and crevice.

Because the Art Project uses Street View technology, it blends seamlessly with Google Maps. So if you're looking at where the Museum of Modern Art is in New York City, you can "enter" the building and look at the works of art there with the click of a button.

The Art Project began as one of the famous 20% projects at Google, where employees are required to spend one day a week working on projects that they find personally fulfilling. "This initiative started as '20% project' by a group of Googlers passionate about making art more accessible online. Together with our museum partners around the world we have created what we will hope will be a fascinating resource for art-lovers, students and casual museum goers alike - inspiring them to one day visit the real thing," said the leader of the project, Amit Sood.

I'm no art junkie, but I think the Art Project might be one of the coolest things ever created by humans.

Source: Gizmag [http://www.gizmag.com/google-art-project/17760/]

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I certainly agree with you. I'mma have to check out this awesome.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Wait, doesn't this technically steal money from museums that charge an entry fee in order to manage the museum? How does this work legally?

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
FungiGamer said:
Wait, doesn't this technically steal money from museums that charge an entry fee in order to manage the museum? How does this work legally?
I'm guessing Google gives money to the museums involved. I'm sure they wouldn't do something like this if there were legal problems.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Aww, I was expecting First-Person-Art examiner. this is just streetview with a hell of a lot more arrows than usual.

They should totally make something like this on like, the Unreal Development Kit.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
FungiGamer said:
So, we can pirate entire museums now. YARHARR!!

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Holy shit this is cool. Visiting various museums that I would otherwise never get the chance to see is beyond words in the level of awesome.

What they need though is an map in the top right corner so you can keep track of where you are in the museum.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
knight56 said:
Good god the controls are unintuitive. Still cool though.
Yeah. Kinda reminded me of Resident Evil and the art gallery room with the crows in it.

Thankfully, the simulation contained zero crows.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's neat to see the layout, but nothing beats seeing stuff in person.

Mar 30, 2010
On the plus side, that's pretty damn cool. On the down side, I've just wasted my entire lunch break on that site.

On balance though, a solid thumbs up.

EDIT -
theflyingpeanut said:
FungiGamer said:
I'm guessing Google gives money to the museums involved. I'm sure they wouldn't do something like this if there were legal problems.
There are only a few rooms per museum available to select from the floorplans, so in effect Google is serving up teaser-trailers for each museum involved in the scheme. As such I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the museums are paying Google.