Become an Extreme Sergeant to the Max in Duty Calls

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Become an Extreme Sergeant to the Max in Duty Calls

Lock and load for Duty Calls, a hilarious look at the modern shooter genre that may just be the smartest bit of videogame marketing ever created. (PS. It's an ad for Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Epic-Xbox-360/dp/B003H0CC2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296686991&sr=8-1].)

War. War never changes. Or does it? The war has changed. Did it? The answer is no! Unless it is yes. And if it is yes, then duty calls in Duty Calls, a free new game that skewers all the best-known conventions of the modern warfare shooter.

It's all there: satellite imagery, military-issue carbines, intense drama, bloody screens (so real!) and more. Oh, and it also happens to be an ad for Bulletstorm, the upcoming shooter from People Can Fly and Epic that makes a point of being everything that contemporary "realistic" military shooters are not.

Okay, so Duty Calls isn't the greatest game you'll ever play, although it does have possibly the best ending to a videogame I've ever seen. But it's an incredibly smart bit of marketing that exploits "genre fatigue" to emphasize the fact that while most of us have saved the world from rogue Russian nationalists at least once, none of us have ever turned a man's corn chute into goo with an automatic shotgun.

Between this, thedutycalls.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106756-CliffyB-Takes-Design-Pointers-from-Wisdom-of-the-Elders]!

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I could not stop laughing while playing it, it's by far one of the best piss take marketing jabs I've ever come across. Loved how every time you shot your jun you'd hear "boring" accompanying the bullet sound lol.

Can't wait for this game, big stupid and silly is how I like my shooters.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Bulletstorm has to succeed or all of this campaign awesomeness will have been for nothing.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
War. War never changes. Or does it? The war has changed. Did it? The answer is no! Unless it is yes. And if it is yes, then duty calls in Duty Calls

on a sort of serious note, yeah, everything on this parody is so, so damn true

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That was awesome!
Say what you will about the game, but they know how to make fun of current FPS trends.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I saw a video of this earlier today, but I didn't know it was an actual game. Downloading it now.

Bulletstorm, though... As nice as it is to see a shooter break off from the brown, "realistic" military theme, Bulletstorm just doesn't seem very good, and virtually every aspect of it seems geared towards the douchebag demographic.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, Bulletstorm, greatest ad campaign ever or greatest ad campaign ever?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Bulletstorm has the best ad campaigns ever! This one made me laugh so hard I was crying. Good show Bulletstorm, good show!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I want to play this. Multiplayer would be awesome.

Loved the slow motion bit, always made me wonder why they just throw that in at random location (LOOKING AT YOU COD!)

Also, that blood! ...it was SO real!

Apr 28, 2008
chemicalreaper said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Is this what they spent their time on instead of a PC demo?
I was thinking a similar thing: that's great that their developers spent their time making Duty Calls, but they could have spent that time polishing up the real game, y'know, the one that's actually going to be reviewed and sold?
I'm with you guys.

I mean yeah, the parody game is hilarious and sums up pretty much every military shooter out now, but I would have taken a PC demo over this.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
I seriously believe that was the greatest game of all time that I played. In no way do I want the 5 minutes that I spent on that game back for it was completely worth it and I am now going to play it again.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Andy Chalk said:
War. War never changes. Or does it? The war has changed. Did it? The answer is no! Unless it is yes. And if it is yes, then duty calls in Duty Calls

on a sort of serious note, yeah, everything on this parody is so, so damn true
But it's SO REAL!

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
That was freaking awesome. The ranking system is a pretty good parody of all those stupid ranks in CoD.