Crysis 2 Will Be Kind to Your PC. Plus, a New Trailer

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010

Only Crysis 2 could pull off having lower system requirements than its predecessor.

Other than my personal feelings concerning anyone ever touching a Frank Sinatra song in any way, I have to admit that Crytek sure knows how to make a trailer.

The trailer, titled "Be Strong", focuses on the properties of the super-powered Nanosuit, and the plethora of ways it enhances your various alien-killing abilities, including invisibility, enhanced speed, and super-strength. Over it all, a rock cover of Sinatra's "New York, New York" can be heard.

[video=2721]

The game looks great, but the Crysis series has a bit of a reputation of requiring ridiculously powerful computers to run it. Luckily, Crytek figured out that not everyone has insanely impressive machines at home, and dialed back the amount of pressure Crysis 2 will put on your PC.

With that in mind, here are the minimum system requirements to run Crysis 2:

[ul]
[li]Internet connection required for activation[/li]
[li]OS: XP/Vista/Windows 7[/li]
[li]CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 x2 2 Ghz or better[/li]
[li]GPU Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB of memory or higher; ATI/AMD Radeon 3850HD 512Mb RAM or higher[/li]
[li]Memory: 2 GB of RAM[/li]
[li]Hard Drive Space: 9 GB[/li]
[li]DVD-ROM with 8x speed[/li]
[li]Audio: DirectX9c compatible[/li]
[li]Keyboard, mouse or Xbox 360 controller for Windows[/li]
[/ul]

If you look back at the minimum requirements for the first Crysis game, you'll notice that they were actually higher than the minimum requirements for the sequel, which is coming out 4 years later. Only with Crysis does that make sense.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-crysis-2-system-requirements-released]

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
What!? But it's not Crysis unless it makes your computer explode!

Edit: And while I'm at it Crytek, where the fuck is my copy of Timesplitters 4 like you promised! -.-

Apr 28, 2008
Which is funny, because those are more or less my old system specs, and I was able to pull off Crysis 1 on medium graphics with 30-35 frames-per-second.

Its good is what I'm saying. Now about that PC demo, any word on that other then "its coming"?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh dear, I can hear the screams of console-dumbing over the horizon already.

Cool trailer though, hurry up and release it you lazy Germans! Less bratwurst more programming...

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I hope this is just a sign that they optimized the engine better, not that they actually had to lower the graphical potential of CryEngine 2.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the PC demo, whenever that comes out.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Damn trailers getting me all pumped up for the game. I already know I'll be able to run the game on high as Crysis 1 had no problem running on my rig.

Now...where the hell is my PC demo!!!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Scott Bullock said:
and there's the downside

seriously, wtf T-T

this is a very expensive addiction, mind you

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
I hope this is just a sign that they optimized the engine better, not that they actually had to lower the graphical potential of CryEngine 2.
I really don't get where people are getting that logic from.

We're PC gamers, does no one go to the graphics menu and use the sliders any more? Same concept people!

teh_Canape said:
Scott Bullock said:
and there's the downside

seriously, wtf T-T

this is a very expensive addiction, mind you
Downside?

Sep 14, 2009
fix-the-spade said:

Cool trailer though, hurry up and release it you lazy Germans! Less bratwurst more programming...
lawl my thoughts exactly!

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Still looks like melee is a horrible idea 80% of the time. Great fun - when it doesn't get your face blown off. Overall, game looks far more interesting than the first was. Good show.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that it'll be accessible to many people with low end rigs. That's great. But I really hope they push modern GPUs to the limit at highest settings. I think it's important to have some games like that, to really push the technology. Especially when it comes to a first person shooter title like this, that ultimately is pretty generic, perhaps the one thing to make it really stand out will be the graphics. And I have two 5850 with aggressive overclocks waiting to meet their next challenge.

Also, I agree with sgt. sykes... "minimum requirements" are pretty bogus, or at least not at all comprehensive enough to truely make a judgement. Maybe you meet those reqs on a 1080p monitor... and it's unplayable. But at 1280x720 it's ok. There's a big difference there.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Not necessarily, the first game, as Yahtzee put it, was supposed to run on a hypothetical super computer from space. The lower specs might help with getting more people into pc gaming as it makes things a little more accessable.
The "dumbing down" with some pc games isn't nearly as noticeable visually with a lot of games since pc games typically run better when you exceed the min requirements. controls and gameplay elements is where the dumbing down becomes noticeable, for me anyway.

I can currently run the first Crysis on Ultra high graphics at 70 fps, the fact that this one is slightly lower will mean that my processor wont heat up so quick :p

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Scott Bullock said:

Keyboard, mouse or Xbox 360 controller for Windows

mouse and keyboard?! wtf? do they think im made of money?