343 Industries Wants to Inject New Mysteries and Questions into Halo

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
343 Industries Wants to Inject New Mysteries and Questions into Halo

Enigmas and awe is at the heart of the Halo story, says its new custodians, 343 Industries.

The Halo games are famously the work of developer Bungie, but the studio released its last Halo game, Halo: Reach, last year, and has now handed the reins of the series over to 343 Industries. 343's franchise development director Frank O'Connor, who previously worked for Bungie on Halo 2 and 3, says that 343 plans to build on Bungie's work, and create new epic stories for fans to enjoy.

O'Connor said that 343's mandate was the support and maintenance of the Halo franchise. That included a variety of tasks, like publishing titles and supporting DLC, but O'Connor said the sky was the limit as far as 343's involvement with the series ran. He thought that mystery and awe were integral parts of the Halo universe. That meant that while 343 would be answering a lot of the questions that fans had asked over Halo's ten-year history, it would also be posing a lot of new questions to replace them.

O'Connor indicated that there wasn't going to be any new adventures for Master Chief this year, nor were there any side stories or prequels like Reach or ODST in the works - at least, not in game form. It was a different matter when it came to books however, as 2011 would see the release of the first in series of books by veteran sci-fi writer Greg Bear, which would explore the Forerunner universe. There would also be more information about the more "contemporary" Halo novels by Karen Traviss, who - among other projects - worked on the story for Gears of War 3.

Taking responsibility for Halo is a pretty mammoth task, but as O'Connor notes, many of the staff at 343 have worked on Halo games before, so the transition won't be as rough as it could have been. There's a lot of Halo content coming out - besides the novels, there are map packs for Reach to come - but it looks like it's going to be a while before we get to see what 343 itself will do with the series.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=25535]

jaing1138

May 25, 2010
Oh good Karen Traviss, the books should be good at least then. Just wish she'd return to finish Imperial commando 2.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I'm still a little dubious about the whole handover thing. Though I'm not sure why. 343 (which is a nice nod to 343 Guilty Spark) is a fresh, unproven studio which will be made or broken on it's first release. Let's just hope that they don't try to milk the cash cow, and do this as a labour of love instead - slowly, if necessary, but properly.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
As long as they are good go for it, if your just beating the cash in cow then fuck off.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I'm curious if they'd keep Halo as an FPS, or if they'd bring in more RPG elements into the world. I say this because comeon, after 5 FPS Halo titles, what more can they do? What more can they add to keep it fresh? If it's simply an FPS, it runs the risk of being unremarkable compared to it's back-catalogue, which will anger fans. Conversely if they do try something new, it will anger some fans who would be loathe for them to mess with a "winning" formula.

Personally I'd like them to bring it towards a more RPG inspired direction. If they could do that without full-out copying Mass Effect I'd be likely to buy it.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
As long as they do it properly and not milk the cash cow then I'm perfectly fine with this. I love Halo and I would gladly like to see more content and backstory of it.

Also yay! New Reach map packs coming soon.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
In before the predictable stream of comments about how Halo is boring and generic and that nothing they'll do will ever make it worthwhile, etc.

But yeah, 343's first game will pretty much be all-or-nothing for them. I personally think the Halo universe is a potentially fascinating one, so I'm glad to hear that they'll be showing some initiative and exploring the possibilities. I'm interested to see what they come up with.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
They already raised a huge "wait, WHAT?" type of question in Reach. Anyone else read those datapads? Holy hell...

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Im pretty sure 343 industries will do a good job, I mean if they don't they risk getting torn apart by fans like myself who won't stand for anything less than a brilliant halo experience, we shall have to see what comes out of this though...

I like seeing Karen Traviss attached to this, that at least suggests that they are going in the right direction, I like her work.

Unspeakable

Apr 10, 2009
I've always thought that the storylines and lore of the Halo universe lended itself very well towards a 2D fighter. I'd be curious to see what sort of combos and super attacks they will include. Although, to avoid an M rating, they might not be able to have Fatalities, which is a shame.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm a bit more sanguine about the future of Halo than some, given that 343 Industries is helmed by people who are either ex-Bungie employees who've had hands-on experience with the IP or veterans in their respective fields. When you look at the outside talent they've worked with (Greg Bear, Studio 4C, Moebius, Peter Jackson, Todd McFarlane, etc) it's clear they're not just farming out work to make a quick buck.

However I do agree that the quality of the next game title they put out will determine the future of the Halo franchise; a good one will guarantee continued success, but a bad one will probably wreck it. No pressure, Frankie, no pressure...

-- Steve

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Please let it be in the eyes of the Covenant or the Forerunners! I would like to see more in the history of both of those. Also, if it's the Covenant, let's kill some marines and spartans!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
As long as it doesn't become Microsoft's Call of Duty, we should be good. I don't want them to keep releasing game-after-game endlessly and running it into the ground. Either way, I would love to see what kind of stories we could explore, but they should start off on a great note with fans.

Re-release Halo: Combat Evolved on the Xbox Live Arcade on Halo's tenth anniversary with a brand-spankin' new engine (Reach's engine, namely), new weapons, new levels, and online multiplayer. Release for 1200 (or 1600.) points, BOOM. Instant success with fans. Now you can move on from that and make a brand new Halo game about what really happened to the Chief right after the events of Halo 3. Just so long as they don't pull stupid shit with the lore of the franchise.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I thought they were remaking Halo: CE this year...or is that next?

Anyway hope they do a good job, nice to see a familiar name in 343 as well :) with Frank there, Halo should still have it's feel :)

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds like there are some very big interesting things ahead for the Halo franchise.

I only hope ONE of those things is a game focusing on the rise and fall of the Covenant from the perspective of the Elites... it could be great you know.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Dear god i thought we were done with the Halo franchise... *sigh*

hansari

May 31, 2009
rockingnic said:
Please let it be in the eyes of the Covenant or the Forerunners! I would like to see more in the history of both of those. Also, if it's the Covenant, let's kill some marines and spartans!
Now THAT would be interesting. But while it worked for Warcraft 3, giving multiple perspectives, some people might rage at that concept. (Those fans shallow enough to see only good guys vs bad guys)

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
hansari said:
rockingnic said:
Now THAT would be interesting. But while it worked for Warcraft 3, giving multiple perspectives, some people might rage at that concept. (Those fans shallow enough to see only good guys vs bad guys)
If they keep it on the human side, they should make it an FPRPG. Customizing your spartan from armor to abilities and skills with certain weapon types.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
ZeroMachine said:
They already raised a huge "wait, WHAT?" type of question in Reach. Anyone else read those datapads? Holy hell...
That was odd. The datapads detail the story of some poor bastard hacker that stumbled upon a conspiracy of secrecy (I can't believe how tacky that sounds) by some AI's to manipulate human affairs so as to better maximize the chances of humanity surviving into the future, come hell or high water because they, uh, needed us meatbags to ensure their survival. It oddly lays down the series as some kind of twisted machination where humans are unwitting pawns of a bunch of incorporeal, somewhat benevolent, dictators who are the ones that are actually the ones doing war with the covenant since they're the ones in command and all that. It's not like they answer any kind of lingering questions, really, but they make a revelation that comes out of nowhere and without warranty that pretty much shakes the foundation of the whole series in a strange way--kinda like someone coming out of nowhere in the Terminator universe and saying "Guess what? SKYNET is my FRIEND!...I think. He never invites me to parties though, but he does help me with my taxes sometimes..."

I dunno if 343 Industries plans on giving that a follow up, but I'd sure hope so. It wouldn't be nice if they just sort of carried along with the series and totally disregarded the whole "Oh, hi, here's this. Bye!" stunt that Bungie just pulled on their audience.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Calcium said:
I'm curious if they'd keep Halo as an FPS, or if they'd bring in more RPG elements into the world. I say this because comeon, after 5 FPS Halo titles, what more can they do? What more can they add to keep it fresh? If it's simply an FPS, it runs the risk of being unremarkable compared to it's back-catalogue, which will anger fans. Conversely if they do try something new, it will anger some fans who would be loathe for them to mess with a "winning" formula.

Personally I'd like them to bring it towards a more RPG inspired direction. If they could do that without full-out copying Mass Effect I'd be likely to buy it.
A couple of days ago when some friends and I were playing Reach we toyed with the idea of a Halo RPG. One of them thought that it should focus on a military campaign for one planet while another thought adding a moon and some space stations would be a good idea. Personally, I like the idea of having it cover a campaign for a whole system, but I've been spoiled by BioWare. Any way you look at it, a Halo RPG would be hard to pull off, though; How do you easily fit companions in? How do you make it open-world and still maintain the suspense of disbelief (I'm assuming that the characters would be in the military). And that's not even getting into the inventory system...

A RPG (or even RPG-ish) Halo would be pretty difficult to pull off but I think it is possible and would really love to see them go that way.