Microsoft Raising Open World Zombie Game for XBLA

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Microsoft Raising Open World Zombie Game for XBLA

Undead Labs' MMO project has been changed to an open-world zombie game for XBLA, but Microsoft Game Studios is publishing it.

Back in 2009, ArenaNet co-founder Jeff Strain established Undead Labs as a new game development studio. The studio was apparently working on a zombie-themed MMO, which sounded interesting, but it turns out that the game plan's been modified a little. Instead of an MMO, the developer is now working on an open world zombie game for XBLA (a piece of concept art is seen here, sadly there's no real zombie concept art available yet), and Microsoft Game Studios is publishing it.

It turns out that the Undead Labs is still planning to make the MMO, but this open world title is being used as a a way to develop the technology for the online title. The game, currently code-named "Class3", certainly sounds ambitious. Strain said (via press release) "We plan to create an ambitious open world XBLA game and use its gameplay, setting, and technology as the foundation for a full online world game ...The open world develops in real-time, shaped by player actions, with content determined by their choices and the ever-increasing zombie threat."

Undead Lab's got a follow-up title in the works, "Class4" which will be the aforementioned MMO. However, "Class3" 's open world will cut down on the MMO's development time. That said, the biggest concern for Strain is to make a game that's fun: ""Really what it comes down to is we just don't think saying a game is an MMO or an online world is enough ...To make it fun, you have to make sure you have a fun game first. We're really focused on getting that core experience in place first."

Source: Joystiq

hansari

May 31, 2009
Fun first? I thought fun was third...

1) Addicting

2) Profitable

3) Fun

4) Gender glamorized

MazzaTheFirst

Jul 1, 2009
hansari said:
Fun first? I thought fun was third...

1) Addicting

2) Profitable

3) Fun

4) Gender glamorized

Fun is highest priority for a developer (unless they just do not care about the game at all) while profitable is highest priority for the publisher. Addicting falls in between.

The game sounds interesting and I like the concept, I just hope the execution is done well.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
A zombie mmo sounds like a bad idea, the whole thing about a zombie apocalypse is that there are only a few people alive, and even less that want to fight.

Just the idea of all those people running around in a world killing all the zombies, and jumping and dancing around like in all the mmo's completely ruins what is good and pure about zombies.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Damnit! The one game I've been hoping for for all these years, an open world zombie game, and it's an XBLA exclusive? That's just not fair. D:

And since it's being produced by Microsoft Game Studios, I'll not be seeing it any time soon on my PS3. Maybe I'll have better luck on PC.
I haven't been this pissed since I leared that Mechwarrior 5 isn't going to be on PS3. I guess it'll be better on PC anyway, but still, I wanted to play with all my friends.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
Hmm, that sounds pretty great. If it doesn't end up being bad, that sounds like the kind of game I could get myself addicted to

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
I was on UnDead Labs site just yesterday whilst looking for a zombie MMO, so this is certainly welcome news... in the meantime I shall play Dead Frontier.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
We have a better option already coming to PC that is beyond simply concept art phase, Dead State:

http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/

Keep in mind the screen shots released thus far are from the latest builds of their in-house alpha/beta and do not yet fully represent the end product.

Educate yourself about game development the best way, follow the progress of Indie Game Developers ;)

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
FogHornG36 said:
A zombie mmo sounds like a bad idea, the whole thing about a zombie apocalypse is that there are only a few people alive, and even less that want to fight.

Just the idea of all those people running around in a world killing all the zombies, and jumping and dancing around like in all the mmo's completely ruins what is good and pure about zombies.
What? The point of a zombie apocolypse fantasy is A) Hoping all those douchebags who were assholes to you in school die or you see them and dont save them and B) survival. A zombie open world MMO would be the most accurate depiction of this, it takes time and effort and is a thing you need to constantly work at... not "get from HERE to HERE for points and dont worry about food or ammo or even the zombies because when they are dead there wont be anymore to bother you".

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Sounds like a good idea to try it in this form before pouring millions into an MMO that may or may not do well. Open world zombie game? Live Arcade? Could be interesting.

Just thought. A zombie MMO with one or two players as zombies initially, with players zombifying(?) each other until the server resets (Once a month? Once a week?). Would be awesome trying to survive against an ever growing horde, and the reset would give you something to work towards - a kind of "win", opposed to MMOs that have no way of winning.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Just thought I'd clear something up (which the article mentioned but apparently people can't read). This title is being developed by Undead Labs, NOT Microsft Game Studios; MSG is only aiding them in the XBL aspect.

Secondly, "Class 3" is only a teaser of whats to come. It will only lay down the technology and core game systems which will later be expanded into "Class 4", a full fledge MMO for Xbox only.

You might be thinking, "Oh just another zombie game" but i'd advise you to read their dev blog. These guys are nothing like other developers.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
For Xbox only? No PC? FOR GOD SAKE -throws a tantrum and starts bashing anything I can get my hands on-

Why? :(

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Kinguendo said:
FogHornG36 said:

What? The point of a zombie apocolypse fantasy is A) Hoping all those douchebags who were assholes to you in school die or you see them and dont save them and B) survival. A zombie open world MMO would be the most accurate depiction of this, it takes time and effort and is a thing you need to constantly work at... not "get from HERE to HERE for points and dont worry about food or ammo or even the zombies because when they are dead there wont be anymore to bother you".
wow you must have had a rough high-school... but when i think of an mmo it alwase ends up being go here, kill this,collect this, with people that will always be there, were, i think you were saything this, it wont end up about survival, and haveing all these other players in the world isn't going to feel like you are alone, or its you and your party alone in the world agents zombies.