Robert Rodriguez Directs Kobe Bryant Against The Devil

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Robert Rodriguez Directs Kobe Bryant Against The Devil

"He thought he was on a road trip to Dallas, but he was on a FREEWAY TO HELL!"

Short films that serve as advertisements are becoming an increasingly popular marketing tactic. While few shorts have been quite as successful as <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hire>BMW's The Hire series, that doesn't mean mean companies haven't tried to cash in the concept. Nike is the latest group to hire some major talent to make such a film, which will be directed by Robert Rodriguez (the man behind the Sin City movie).

The short will be called Black Mamba and is set to star Kanye West, Bruce Willis, Danny Trejo, and Kobe Bryant and looks pretty ridiculous (in standard Rodriguez fashion). The plot follows Bryant ("the greatest player in the world") who gets challenged to a basketball game by the Devil (Willis). If the Devil wins the wager, he gets Kobe's shoes. Also, it looks like a basketball court made from fire will be present; let's be honest, that's a cool visual.

The film will be officially released on February 19th. It certainly looks like it'll be strange and (probably) fun to watch, but I'm not sure how well it'll move Nike shoes. Still, this will probably be better than <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2GAoBTuc4>Frank Miller's Gucci ad, so there's that.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I love everything that RR has done. Yes, even SharkGirl and FireBoy. I think that is what it is called......

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
This is an ad for an ad. That's pretty damn funny if you think about it.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
I am willing to overlook that Kobe Bryant is starring because everything else related to this project is so awesome.

Nike has produced some pretty fantastic ads in the past:

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
It's Kobe Bryant finally, on the team he's always dreamed of. All by himself. I mean is it any different than how he usually plays?

Looking at Kobe's personal life, between being busted with a firearm and cheating on his wife he doesn't exactly seem to be on a different team than the devil either.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I just realised I've turned into my dad and granddad... When I saw "Bryant is the greatest" I went "pfft no he's not, that's Jordan" and I realised I was doing exactly what they did when I was growing up "No, Border isn't the best cricketer, that's The Don, or That's X from the 60s I have no idea about"... I guess we always remember our childhood heroes.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
cobra_ky said:
I am willing to overlook that Kobe Bryant is starring because everything else related to this project is so awesome.

Nike has produced some pretty fantastic ads in the past:

You deserve a reward for bringing this beautiful creation to my attention.

Seriously that was AWESOME!!!!!!

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
All this needs is a machete-wielding mexican, but I guess it is good enough for something that is free.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
Ghengis John said:
It's Kobe Bryant finally, on the team he's always dreamed of. All by himself. I mean is it any different than how he usually plays?

Looking at Kobe's personal life, between being busted with a firearm and cheating on his wife he doesn't exactly seem to be on a different team than the devil either.
Oh dude, you speak my mind exactly. I'm always torn between "Oh man, Kobe's so freaking good!" and "Aw geez, Kobe's such a dick."

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
omicron1 said:
So... if the devil wins, Kobe loses his sole?

:p
umm...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

EDIT:
(Editing for the sake of avoiding the banhammer that some mod uses for reasons unknown...)

Trailer was awesome, would love to see the end result.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Love it - absolutely jokes, and oozing with the wonderfully over-the-top everything that made Machete so awesome - even the same voice-over guy and cameo appearance of Danny Trejo :D Rodriguez rocks ^_^

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Broken Orange said:
I love everything that RR has done. Yes, even SharkGirl and FireBoy. I think that is what it is called......
"Sharkboy and Lava Girl" and ummm... I think that's an example of how even the best director has a movie they'd rather forget. Your the first person I have heard saying they liked that movie...

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
Therumancer said:
Broken Orange said:
"Sharkboy and Lava Girl" and ummm... I think that's an example of how even the best director has a movie they'd rather forget. Your the first person I have heard saying they liked that movie...
The misspelling was done on purpose. That might give you a hint about how I feel about that movie.