Treyarch Bolsters Black Ops Security on PS3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Treyarch Bolsters Black Ops Security on PS3

The PS3 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Playstation-3/dp/B003JVCA9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296817989&sr=8-2] will weather the hacking storm just fine, as Treyarch prepared for it in advance.

Older Call of Duty games might be suffering [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106984-PS3-Hacks-Force-Infinity-Ward-to-Rethink-Game-Security] because of the PS3 hacks right now, but Treyarch community manager, Josh Olin, says that the studio has reinforced Black Ops against them.

Olin said that the hacks were a much bigger concern for Sony as a platform holder than they were for Treyarch as a developer. He said that Treyarch had built additional layers of security into Black Ops as a precaution. When it heard the news that the PS3 had been hacked, it was more a case of utilizing what was already there, rather than having to put together anything new. "I remember the meeting after all the headlines broke," he said. "We were like 'well, I guess, it's time to turn on the security for the PS3 now!'"

Olin also seemed unimpressed with the likes of GeoHot and Fail0verflow. He said that while they claimed they only wanted to hack the PS3 to run homebrew software, there was no way that they didn't know about the wider repercussions their actions would have on the PS3 audience.

Quite apart from his comments about Black Ops, Olin has essentially encapsulated the perennial problems that homebrew software presents. Regardless of the hackers' original intentions, it's almost impossible to separate homebrew and piracy - at least, not for any significant length of time. Still, PS3 Black Ops players should be pleased to hear that they don't have to worry too much about cheaters in the game, especially not after the technical problems that many of them have had to contend with.

Source: Now Gamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5121/treyarch-time-to-turn-on-the-security-for-ps3]

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes challenge the hackers that's just a brilliant idea. We'll see how long they're bragging after this.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
Microsoft is paying all of these Developers to challenge the hackers so that the PS3 will get hacked and pirated.

don't you see it O.O?
damn corporations and the man and all his evil plans to destroy innovation.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Olin also seemed unimpressed with the likes of GeoHot and Fail0verflow. He said that while they claimed they only wanted to hack the PS3 to run homebrew software, there was no way that they didn't know about the wider repercussions their actions would have on the PS3 audience.
Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

OT: Maybe they can also fix the World at War connections that have managed to find their way into Black Ops?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Autofaux said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

OT: Maybe they can also fix the World at War connections that have managed to find their way into Black Ops?
Wait... what?

OT: Nice to see Treyarch isn't showing me my faith has been misplaced.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Autofaux said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Wait... what?

It's the nice way of saying consistent two bar connections, hit detection issues and glitches.. eerily familiar of WaW.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Autofaux said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Autofaux said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Wait... what?

It's the nice way of saying consistent two bar connections, hit detection issues and glitches.. eerily familiar of WaW.
Oh. Because I mis-interpreted your post. :p

But yeah, Blops is indeed laggy as fuck.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Right, you don't have much to worry about when it comes to hackers...if you can actually get online in the first place. I don't think they've resolved the myriad of other issues the game is experiencing online.

DFish

Aug 8, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
it's almost impossible to separate homebrew and piracy
Well, except perhaps by having a decently sandboxed/virtualised "Other OS" option, which I rather think is that point that GeoHot and Fail0verflow have been trying to make...

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Posts like this irritate me, I support his sentiment about the game hacking community so I read the comments from fellow escapists looking for a well thought out and structured discussion and it is disappointing. I would have expected a slightly more mature response than what is ostensibly "LOL THEY TAUNTED HACKERS, HACKERS WILL HAVE REVENGE!!11ONE1"..

Seriously? We're treating the game hacking community with anything other than the distain and disgust that they deserve? Note, i'm not arguing that restoring lost functionality is a bad thing, i'm saying that those who use this in a method that either promotes piracy or harms the online-gaming community are pathetic people, they harm both the industry and the customer.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Yes challenge the hackers that's just a brilliant idea. We'll see how long they're bragging after this.
Or yaknow, make it easier to hack. Then they won't have much to brag about.