Battlefield 3 Teaser Trailer Hints at Release Date

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Battlefield 3 Teaser Trailer Hints at Release Date

Jets and helicopters are making a comeback in Battlefield 3, as is fighting at night.

A leaked teaser trailer for Battlefield 3 has revealed when we can look forward to playing it, albeit in the most general terms possible. The game - which is the first entry in the main Battlefield series in six years - is coming this Fall, although exactly when is anyone's guess right now.

The trailer - which is now available on the official EA site - was apparently put up on YouTube a little too early by EA Russia. It shows a nighttime battle in an unspecified warzone, with a lot of gunfire and infantry movement and a helicopter destroyed by a jet. Over the top of it all is the opening drum beat from the Battlefield theme, rendered into a sort of static buzz.

There aren't a lot of other details to be gleaned from the trailer, but Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/04/check-out-first-battlefield-3-details-teaser.aspx] - which has a cover story on the game in its March issue - revealed a few tidbits. Jets and the ability to go prone will make a comeback, and PC players can look forward to 64 player maps in the multiplayer. Unfortunately, that's all the magazine was willing to share. We do know that the game will have destructible terrain, however, after DICE sneakily confirmed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105754-EA-DICE-Quietly-Reveals-Destructible-Terrain-for-Battlefield-3] it in the description for a talk that Kenny Magnusson is giving at GDC next month.

Battlefield 2 was a lot of fun to play, especially with friends, and if DICE is able to deliver a similar experience but with updated technology and gameplay, it's going to make a lot of people very happy. With the studio now focusing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107521-DICE-Officially-Cancels-BF1943-and-Bad-Company-2-Onslaught-for-PC] all its efforts on the game, it seems like the odds of that happening are getting more favorable all the time.

Battlefield 3 is coming for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 this Fall.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/04/battlefield-3-in-next-game-informer/]

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Now this sounds like it could be groovy.

However, in the wake between Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3, I got hooked on ARMA II...

Ah well. It's good they're not neglecting the Battlefield franchise in favor of the Battlefield Bad Company action-fest.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Cannot wait for this.
Only played Bad Company 2 and still loving it, would be awesome to see what the normal Battlefield franchise is like.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm excited, but given DICE's recent releases and support (lack there of) I'll have to leave it a few months after release before deciding this one. Interesting to see how Airpower's going to work this time round.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
$10 says that it's pushed back three quarters.

Still, Metal of Honor tanked pretty badly because of (a) the lack of demand for a CoD competitor and (b) being too real in what Afghanistan-Pakistan firefights look like (lots of brown with barely an idea of where you're being shot from). Let's see if Battlefield can do what it couldn't.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
Calico93 said:
Cannot wait for this.
Only played Bad Company 2 and still loving it, would be awesome to see what the normal Battlefield franchise is like.
i completely agree, i started with Bad Company 2 and fell in love with it. After playing for like 2hrs i realized that it was better than CoD, imo. I cannot wait to try a normal Battlefield either. I am eagerly waiting for BF3.

lettri

Oct 17, 2010
Not only am I looking forward to the game, but this trailer is quite artsy! I love it! Reminds me of the whole raster-noton label in a gamey context. :)

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Looking forward to it. Never was able to play my Battlefield 2. Too many problems with Gamespy and I had trouble finding good servers. Maybe because I tried getting into it too late after release. Definately getting this when it comes out.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I want them to return to more open terrain allowing for multiple-front scenarios. That would atleast be -somewhat- refreshing from all the other FPSes that have been flooding the market.

...I still want them to follow up on Battlefield 2142 though! I want to keep watch with my overpowerd, sonic-burst canon.

SeeeoPOIIING!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I love the Battlefield series, but I'm just wondering what they're going to do with Battlefield 3 that they haven't already done with Battlefield 2 and Bad Company.
UnderCoverGuest said:
Ah well. It's good they're not neglecting the Battlefield franchise in favor of the Battlefield Bad Company action-fest.
Because the other Battlefields weren't action-fests?

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
battlefield 2 has always been the game i go back to. After a month or 2 of cod i get bored and reinstall BF2 again... love it, i really really have high hopes for this... the only thing that is causing me doubt in the back of my head, and i really cant shake this doubt, is the fact it is also been made for the (DON'T FLAME ME FOR BEEN A PC ELITIST) consoles =(

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
All this game needs to be is an updated Battlefield 2, that game was incredible. I don't need (many) innovative features or anything like that, I just want the old battlefield back.

Having said that Bad Company is still very good, it's just lacking something the older games had.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
the only thing that is causing me doubt in the back of my head, and i really cant shake this doubt, is the fact it is also been made for the (DON'T FLAME ME FOR BEEN A PC ELITIST) consoles =(
They've already said that it's being primarily made for the PC, with the consoles being the secondary focus.

Besides, being made for consoles never made a PC game bad. The developer not putting in the effort for the PC versions made them bad. It isn't the consoles fault when a PC port is shit, it's the lazy developer.....[small]you PC elitist!!!111![/small]

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
-Samurai- said:
silverbullet1989 said:
the only thing that is causing me doubt in the back of my head, and i really cant shake this doubt, is the fact it is also been made for the (DON'T FLAME ME FOR BEEN A PC ELITIST) consoles =(
They've already said that it's being primarily made for the PC, with the consoles being the secondary focus.

Besides, being made for consoles never made a PC game bad. The developer not putting in the effort for the PC versions made them bad. It isn't the consoles fault when a PC port is shit, it's the lazy developer.....[small]you PC elitist!!!111![/small]
Lol wooooooahhhh calm down there :p they can say a lot of things but every developer knows where the money lays... maybe i am a pc elitist, yeah come to think of it i am, ive always enjoyed games more on the pc then on my xbox so yeah im a pc elitist and proud :p

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Just you watch, they are going to remove prone and all the other good things, that made BF2 fun in favor of more action packed gameplay.

I hate where FPSs are going....

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Yelchor said:
I still want them to follow up on Battlefield 2142 though!
Well seeing as how recently Battlefield Vietnam was remade for BF: BC 2 I think that they may release a DLC pack of 2142, Imagine, Titan battles in HD!!!!

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Ossian said:
Just you watch, they are going to remove prone and all the other good things, that made BF2 fun in favor of more action packed gameplay.

Yeah, and I guess that they only said there'd be prone for giggles. Seriously, at least reserve your judgement until there's an actual game-play video.

Or even some tangible info.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
-Drifter- said:
Ossian said:

Yeah, and I guess that they only said there'd be prone for giggles. Seriously, at least reserve your judgement until there's an actual game-play video.

Or even some tangible info.
Source please, I really hope its true.

Who would of thought they would of turned Crysis, one of the most different shooters out there, into a CoD with super powers? Also I'm a beta tester for Battlefield Play 4 Free, and they removed Prone on that, so I assumed they were doing it for all BF games.