Unhealthy Boy Uses Robotic Avatar to Attend School

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Unhealthy Boy Uses Robotic Avatar to Attend School

A boy with an extremely weak immune system is using a robotic avatar to substitute for social interaction.

Lyndon Baty, a young man from Knox City, TX, has battled polycystic kidney disease for his entire life, leaving him with almost no immune system, but his schoolmates wouldn't know that. Actually, they would, because Baty has been using a robotic avatar to experience the world as someone in his position would never be able to.

Baty sends a robot called a VGO to school, which wheels around, takes real-time video and audio of its surroundings, and in turn allows Baty to communicate with those in its environment through video chat. Before the VGO, Baty's best friends were his parents, because he was unable to go anywhere but home or the hospital without risking his life.

Now, Baty can interact with his friends in a way he never thought possible. "It's absolutely amazing," he told NBC. "I would have never thought when I was sick that I would ever have any interaction, much less this kind. It is just like I am there in the classroom."

The Knox City Independent School District happened to get a call from a salesman with VGO Communications that asked if it'd like to take a look at the product. The $5,000 cost (with 8 hour battery life) seems to be negligible for the benefit that it has provided just a single student. Baty's mother says the VGO gives her son a "reason to get up." Getting to interact with people in a more realistic way through the robotic avatar has made it so that Baty anticipates the morning bell.

He's probably the coolest kid in school, too. The VGO reminds us, just in case we forgot, that we're living in the future. Fast-forward 20 years, and I bet schools and workplaces will be filled with more VGOs than humans.

Source: Geekologie [http://www.wbir.com/news/article/153486/8/Cyber-surrogate-gives-ailing-teen-a-chance-to-experience-high-school]

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
hudsonzero said:
so will bullies but there coats over the camcorder?
They'de be recorded doing so, and everyone's gonna notice a video screen being covered up. So I highly doubt it. Would love to see the punishment they would get for doing so though.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
That is awesome. And useful!
And I kind of want one (although I would never leave the house again...)

One important question - how is it with stairs?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
The kind of story that both reminds us what science and technology can do and does so in a way that can only be seen as happy.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I'm not going to say anything about his name...

In all seriousness, this really made me smile; it's great, heartwarming stuff to hear. Good on the kid!
Poor guy to have such a bad condition, though. I'm glad technology nowadays is helping him experience childhood as it should be.

Well, so some extent, anyway. We need more happy news!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Rationalization said:
They'de be recorded doing so, and everyone's gonna notice a video screen being covered up. So I highly doubt it. Would love to see the punishment they would get for doing so though.
"So, what's your excuse, Williams?"
"Uh... the robot had a coat over it to begin with?"
"Very funny, enjoy Juvenal Detention.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
J03bot said:
That is awesome. And useful!
And I kind of want one (although I would never leave the house again...)

One important question - how is it with stairs?
I would assume an elevator would be in use, thats what they normally do with people unable to use stairs.

This is pretty damn cool, hauntingly reminiscent of that one episode of Big Bang Theory though.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Rationalization said:
hudsonzero said:
so will bullies but there coats over the camcorder?
Nobody has fully tested the VGO's laser defence systems ;)

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
That's cool :D
Still, think of the poor bastard. That's the best he's going to get, quite possibly for the rest of his life, however short that may be.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Mackheath said:
Jesus...

It always amazes me what technology can do. But considering modern craftsmanship it'll probably need a 3 year warrenty and a battery life of 6 hours.
its got 8 hours.....This kid will practally be a hero when he gets to school after being "OK"

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
when they say that there are going to be more VGOs in the future than humans all I could think about was Surrogates.