Critical Miss: Telegraphing

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Haha, that would be pretty cool if they had necromorphs playing actual instruments.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Ha! It is indeed quite difficult to be scared when they announce their presence every time with dramatic music... [sub]maybe the first time...[/sub]

Mar 24, 2010
Heh. It does seem as if music has been terribly over used in horror games as of late. Would that I could compare DS2 to say, Amnesia but I could never play the latter for longer than 20 minutes. What can I say, I'm easily spookified ^^

Edit: *patiently awaits for escapists to decode the message on the 3rd panel*

bor3ds0ul

Apr 8, 2008
Totally true. I hate those musical cues in survival horror. That's why fast zombies in HL2 were so scary, all you hear is the scream, and then they're on you. The tank in L4D gets a pass, but the music for the rest of the special infected gives it all away

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Good one. I'll decipher the unitologist message at the bottom once I find the time. Or the need. For those who want to do it, there's a cipher in the Dead Space 2 promotional site.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Ha, so true. That always makes me laugh when you either have music or chest high walls to tell you when an ambush is going to happen.

Some of the letters are hard to make out properly, but the bottom line says www.escapistmagazine.com

EDIT: The most I've been able to make out is:

cory rydell and grey carter will __ry their __r_ens in _ood

the underscores are the ones I couldn't figure out.

It's probs wrong.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
bor3ds0ul said:
Totally true. I hate those musical cues in survival horror. That's why fast zombies in HL2 were so scary, all you hear is the scream, and then they're on you. The tank in L4D gets a pass, but the music for the rest of the special infected gives it all away
I was more scared by Black Phantoms in Demon's Souls than Dead Space. Oh, and HL2 headcrabs scare the bejeezus out of me, getting nabbed by barnacles is pretty scary as well.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Panel 3 was a laugh out loud moment. The reticule on the creatures groin was spot on.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Dectilon said:
You should play D2 (not diablo).
D2 or Enemy Zero?

(if you're talking about the one I was thinking with this comic, say, the one in the space ship)

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
teh_Canape said:
Dectilon said:
You should play D2 (not diablo).
D2 or Enemy Zero?

(if you're talking about the one I was thinking with this comic, say, the one in the space ship)
I think they meant Enemy Zero.

Wasn't it technically a sequel to the original 'D'?

Regardless, that was a scary game.

There was no warning.

You're walking down a hall, step into a room, and BAM! You're radio is going haywire because there's two beasties in the room.

There's no real use fighting them, so you back the fuck up and head for safety.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
8-Bit Grin said:
I think they meant Enemy Zero.

Wasn't it technically a sequel to the original 'D'?

Regardless, that was a scary game.

There was no warning.

You're walking down a hall, step into a room, and BAM! You're radio is going haywire because there's two beasties in the room.

There's no real use fighting them, so you back the fuck up and head for safety.
thought so, mostly because D2 takes place in a mountain

as for what you're saying, wasn't there some sort of sound warning?

and didn't you had a gun too?

don't really remember the details, I mean, it's been ages since I last played it =P

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
CORY RODALL AND GREY CARTER WILL BURY THEIR BURDENS IN BLOOD

WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
teh_Canape said:
thought so, mostly because D2 takes place in a mountain

as for what you're saying, wasn't there some sort of sound warning?

and didn't you had a gun too?

don't really remember the details, I mean, it's been ages since I last played it =P

Hmmm... I think that we're thinking of two different games.

Enemy Zero was set in space.

You had a gun, but it was made practically useless for two big reasons:

1) The Monsters were invisible.

2) They ate your bullets like their tummy's were making the rumblies that only hot lead could satisfy.

It doesn't matter I suppose.

They kind of blur together for me, since I played both during my early years on the Saturn.