Preview: Bulletstorm

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Preview: Bulletstorm

Loud, dumb, obnoxious, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Read Full Article

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I'm just getting more and more excited for this game the more I hear about it.

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered. :D

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Well, it sure sounds like fun.
A bit like the Duke Nukem Forever we were hoping for, but are only now getting.
I wonder what Yahtzee will think of this?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
".. grabs you roughly from behind and whispers "wait - you'll see," then leaves you to wonder what comes next, an epiphany or an ass-raping."
This should so be on the back of the box. In fact, I'm pretty sure Cliffy B would agree.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
UFriday said:
Well, it sure sounds like fun.
A bit like the Duke Nukem Forever we were hoping for, but are only now getting.
I wonder what Yahtzee will think of this?
Well, giving that he had a special place in his heart for Painkiller, an over the top, no-holds-barred, enemies in your way, killfest, I think he might enjoy this.

On the other hand, the game is also by Epic Games. Seeing as Yahtzee didn't really care for the Gears of War franchise, them teaming up with People Can Fly is going to create a real conflict for him.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
As Just Cause 2 has proven to me, having to endure awful writing and voice-acting will deter me from a game no matter how fun other people believe it to be.

Though the trailers I've seen made me happy. Not in the sense they were by any means enjoyable, but in the way that I finally got that true condescending feel of an adult watching a "kid's" video game.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
DeadlyYellow said:
Though the trailers I've seen made me happy. Not in the sense they were by any means enjoyable, but in the way that I finally got that true condescending feel of an adult watching a "kid's" video game.
"Then I stabbed him in the junk with a pitchfork, and leashed him off the bridge and got 1000 points for 'bourgeoisie uprising'"

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
The demo was a lot of fun, but only because I kept think of new ways to torture my enemies. This preview forgets to mention that you really should string together methods to get the most fun out of it. Whipping a guy, and shooting him or kicking him into spikes gets boring after a while. Instead of just doing that a million times, combine a few smaller features into awesome combos.

BarryOgg

May 18, 2010
Russ Pitts said:
".. grabs you roughly from behind and whispers "wait - you'll see," then leaves you to wonder what comes next, an epiphany or an ass-raping."
Tsk tsk. The previev should've begun with a trigger warning. Also, I presume the latter option would be delivered by Dickwolves?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ColdBlooded said:
The demo was a lot of fun, but only because I kept think of new ways to torture my enemies. This preview forgets to mention that you really should string together methods to get the most fun out of it. Whipping a guy, and shooting him or kicking him into spikes gets boring after a while. Instead of just doing that a million times, combine a few smaller features into awesome combos.
Like launching him into the air and shooting him with a flare to turn him into a big, pretty firework. Or launching him into the air inside a building so all his buddies nearby become the new wallpaper. Or shooting people with a four-barreled shotgun while drunk. Seriously, this game looks like it's finally going to put some FUN back into the genre.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
The thing is, If this game is supposed to be a self-consciously brain-dead, fuckfest.....WHY does it take so long to hook you? Why do i have to "stick with it" for 45 minutes, before the game gets good?

Is there REALLY that much exposition in this game then? Like, look at say, Mass Effect 2. That game is neck deep in exposition, but the hook that draws you in, lies literally SECONDS from the beginning of the game (50 if you don't faff about). Or is it really like Heavy Rain which has over an hour of boring shit that you have to wade through. And in that case, Wtf?

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Loud, dumb, obnoxious, and a hell of a lot of fun.
Well, you're 75% correct.

This game horrifying. Like, Teen Mom horrifying. It's like the entire thing was slapped together by the ad wizards behind "Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2."

This is the death of innovation. Are you guys really that starved for a new way to shoot a gun at someone?

And the script! Was it written with a hammer? These lines were barely funny when Duke Nukem was saying them 13 years ago.

I'm usually all for not taking myself seriously, but I refuse to pay $60+ so that I can be called "dick-tits" by my television.

tl;dr: More like BullshitStorm, amirite?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
They had me the moment my friend said, 'ERRRR DERP! My high score is 8.7k! YOU AINT GUNNA BEATS IT!"

Because, sure enough, right infront of his face, i hit 11k. And not long after, 12. Just the concept was enough to hook me. Not only am i better then my friends, but as of recently, many games have started allowing me to prove it!

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I have a problem with this game. I want an original DS but I also want this game. I can't choose... Darn.

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
Aiddon said:
ColdBlooded said:
Like launching him into the air and shooting him with a flare to turn him into a big, pretty firework. Or launching him into the air inside a building so all his buddies nearby become the new wallpaper. Or shooting people with a four-barreled shotgun while drunk. Seriously, this game looks like it's finally going to put some FUN back into the genre.
Or tying up a guy with a flail so he's immobilized and then overcharging your assault rifle, positioning yourself so there is a guy behind him and skeletize them both in one powerful shot. Or thump them into the air, use the screamer's flare to set them on fire then plant a flail on the ground below them as a little surprise for their exhilirating flight. YOU my friend... understand bulletstorm.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
"Bulletsorm's single-player campaign takes about 10 hours..."

Wait, did you play the whole game or did the producers give you an estimate of the game length?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Exterminas said:
This game is so not gonna make it to germany. ^^
Which is why I pre-ordered it from Austria weeks ago. And so should you. ^^