Daily Mail Criticizes MadWorld For Wii

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Daily Mail Criticizes MadWorld For Wii

The Wii [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1043818/Parents-horrified-violent-video-game-launch-family-friendly-Wii.html], saying the launch of the "most violent videogame ever" on the system will utterly transform its family-friendly image.

Describing the "hack and slash" game as one in which players can "impale enemies on road signs, rip out hearts and execute them with weapons including chainsaws and daggers," the article says the pending release of a violent game on the Mediawatch-uk [http://www.nintendo.com] Director John Beyer hopes it stays that way.

"I hope the British Board of Film Classification will view this with concern and decide it should not be granted a classification," he said. "Without that it cannot be marketed in Britain. What the rest of the world does is up to them. We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people."

"It seems a shame that the game's manufacturer have decided to exclusively release this game on the Wii," he added. "I believe it will spoil the family fun image of the Wii."

In MadWorld, players take the role of Jack, trapped in the twisted terror of Death Watch, a "game show" concocted by a group of terrorists who have overtaken the virtual world of Varrigan City. To survive and solve the mystery of Death Watch, players must master the use of weapons and other items and "compete in ultra-violent mini-games designed to push you over the edge." In a style reminiscent of Frank Miller's [http://www.darkhorse.com/Zones/Miller] Sin City and 300, the game is presented entirely in black and white, except for blood, which is depicted in stark red.

The game is something of a departure from the usual Wii fare, but a Nintendo representative claimed the game is simply representative of the wide appeal of the system. "Wii appeals to a wide range of audiences from children and teenagers to adults and senior citizens, anyone from five to 95, as such there is a wide range of content for all ages and tastes available," he said. "MadWorld will be suitably age rated through the appropriate legal channels and thus only available to an audience above the age rating it is given."

MadWorld is being developed by MadWorld website [http://www.sega.com/].

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
That article made me want Mad World more than ever. Thanks, Daily Mail!

clarinetJWD

Jul 9, 2008
Ooh! So it will spoil the family fun image of the Wii you say? I think this is exactly the game we need then. Maybe Nintendo will stop calling Animal Crossing 'Hardcore'...

I, for one, absolutely love the visual style the game is taking, and can only hope the rest of it lives up to the screen shots.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Despite the fact that the game doesn't appeal to me, as a gamer I think this is a game the Wii needs to extend beyond its current niche appeal. It may be a large niche, but its a niche nonetheless.

What I feel about the Wii is that Nintendo had adopted a motto something along the lines of "appeal to everyone." However, in that fervor, they ended up not trying to "appeal to everyone" but "appeal to everyone we haven't appealed to before" (i.e. the casual crowd). The Wii, while an amusing system with some decent games, has been running strong on a casual crowd, but has left the "hardcore" audience out in the rain. Now are "violence" and "hardcore gamer" equivalent? Well, some people seem to think so. But regardless, I think MadWorld will open up that "appeal to everyone" mantra a little more and make the Wii have TRULY universal appeal.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Malygris post=7.68198.621167 said:
Describing the "hack and slash" game as one in which players can "impale enemies on road signs, rip out hearts and execute them with weapons including chainsaws and daggers,"
And I havn't preordered this game why? Seriously, this game is exactly what the Wii needs but let's pray that it's actually good.

Infact, I could just imagine this game at a party. You see, if this game was on any of the other consoles you would play by yourself, but since it's on the wii everyone is going to want to play it and everyone will see the brutal combos and impalements that you do.

IT WOULD BE FUCKING AWESOME!

Serious_Stalin

Aug 11, 2008
Well the mail is one of the papers we can thank for predudice and grumpy old people in the UK for! Maybe when this generation of old people die out so will the Daily Mail! Fingers crossed anywho.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
The best part is that these are the fun loving and happy people who brought you Okami and their new studio.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
They are late to the party.

Time to ban everything [http://www.omgnintendo.com/article/66874/feature-wii-are-mature/]

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Here's a radical idea for those who want to keep their Wiis family friendly: don't buy this game. You already have the freedom to choose, and by trying to remove that freedom from others you are not making any friends.

Baron Crumbly

Nov 11, 2007
Nintendo should be thanking The Daily Mail - this type of publicity is priceless.
Look at what it did for the GTA series.
I sense a conspiracy - Britain's tabloids in the pay of games companies to boost sales?

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
The Daily Mail has always been this way. Utterly conservative in appearances, using their "ban this filth" approach to hype to hell out of something, and shaking their heads disapprovingly when it fails to be. It keeps their paper circulating, it gives them easy articles for a few weeks, and lets them keep face.

However, The Mail on Sunday does this neat magazine supplement called Weekend, which has the best TV guide in the UK. So despite the fact that both myself and my mum are "vaguely on the liberal side of things" and otherwise apolitical, we've been funding the bastards for years.

They also do good puzzle pages!

NukaCola23

Aug 12, 2008
My only concern is whether or not this game will be a retail success. With the failure of No More Heroes I'm afraid that if this flops too it will make future hardcore games a tough sell to publishers.

Jak The Great

Jun 24, 2008
Does anyone see the problem with the government trying to keep the Wii 'family friendly?' Since when does the government care about the reputation of a system, and how the company that manufactures the damn thing runs its system.

Notice that Beyer says that it would be OK if the game was released on another platform like the PS3 and 360. I personally find this very disturbing.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Who gives a shit about British tabloids? Reading them is pretty much a slow,painless lobotomy.

Lunar6

Jul 30, 2008
I didn't know "image" was the biggest priority for a console. Family-friendliness in a console is ultimately a facade born of nothing more than generalizations and comparisons. Everything's going to have its "family-friendly" image put to the back seat at some point. Back in the day, it used to be that some things lost any kind of mature image for the sake of being more family friendly, and they've usually ended up sucking with each step into the aforementioned image, like the first three Ninja Turtles movies; It went from a relatively accurate portrayal of the comic books' fairly dark tone to what was probably a live-action rendition of a scrapped idea for a story arc for the animated series. That's not the only example, Batman had that problem once too back in the 1990's (the movies, I mean). Ratchet and Clank even had treatment like that. I think taking a turn in the reverse direction is a decent change of pace if only marginally occasional in the case of Nintendo's latest console.

Now, one could tell from just the trailer that there's probably gonna be more gore to this than Wii's last bloodfest No More Heroes. But at the same time, there's an even more uniquely stylistic atmosphere, with an even quirkier, if more brutally executed, concept. I tend to try and not classify games like this for their gore, but for their take on it, as well as it's integration into its game's atmosphere, and these stylized types of atmospheres went seamlessly with the gameplay, which is one reason why hold games like Okami and No More Heroes in such high regard. If we're lucky, Madworld here will do the same.