Confusion Kept Conan O'Brien Off Xbox Live

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Confusion Kept Conan O'Brien Off Xbox Live

Conan O'Brien would have been an Xbox Live star if someone could have figured out how.

Before talk show host Conan O'Brien started his current show for Xbox Live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99906-Former-Tonight-Show-Host-Conan-OBrien-Ditches-Fox-for-TBS], with new details revealing exactly why things didn't go through.

Gamasutra reports that Jeff Ross, executive producer of Conan, says that the talks with Microsoft definitely happened, but never got much further than a brainstorming phase. Microsoft apparently wasn't very clear about what it wanted O'Brien to actually do on Xbox Live, so his crew decided not to take the risk.

"The Xbox thing - a lot of the conversations were 'well, it's a show, but it's not a show and there are no breaks, but maybe there are breaks and it's not 60 minutes, it's this' and nobody really knew what it was," Ross said. "So it was really going to be a leap of faith to jump in with these guys and figure something out which we didn't know."

Microsoft evidently wants some kind of television-style content for its online network, but might not have its philosophy figured out just yet. Ross continued: "You meet with these guys and they show you all this stuff that they're developing and it's mind blowing. I think it's coming and it's big. It's just that we weren't in a position at that point to figure out what it was."

I get the feeling that if O'Brien did go to Xbox Live, his show would have remained hidden from most of the audience it's currently building, even though he would have been jumping in on something new. If Microsoft really wants to attract some big stars for original Xbox Live content, it'll probably have to figure out how to make that "something new" into something popular and understandable.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32828/Behind_The_Scenes_Microsofts_Attempt_To_Woo_Conan_OBrien_For_Xbox_Live.php]

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Y'know what? I'm glad he's on TBS. Best decision ever. "CONAN" is a BRILLIANT show. Screw The Tonight Show. That train-wreck died the second Johnny Carson forcefully stepped down.

That, and I can actually watch the TBS show in Australia, because Channel Nine has the rights to all Warner Bros. shows, so it airs on HD channel, GEM.

If he went to Xbox Live, Microsoft America would be the incredible fuck-knuckles they are and ONLY show it in America. Conan's fans aren't just Americans. They're worldwide. Australia, UK, even FINLAND.

LET THE TALL RED GENIUS HAVE HIS AWESOME SHOW.

HankMan said:
You know Leno had something to do with this.
I lol'd. :D

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
You dawg, I heard you liked Late Night so we put a Conan in your Xbox so you can laugh while laughing. Or something like that.

Would have liked this, love O'Brien.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Shycte said:
You dawg, I heard you liked Late Night so we put a Conan in your Xbox so you can laugh while laughing. Or something like that.

Would have liked this, love O'Brien.

..............what?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
thank god.

conan's show is great; doing silliness on xbox would have been a waste

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Well, I'm glad he didn't make the move to XBL. I never watch the stuff they put on there.

That being said, I'm sure in the future he can probably still do little skits for them if the opportunity arises. It's not like that chance will go away just because he gets more viewers on TBS. He made the right decision to go with TBS.

Sep 4, 2009
Sounds like Microsoft don't know how to clearly pitch an idea in the time it takes for an elevators to get you to your floor.

You might not realise it, but that's a really bad sign.